Author Topic: HELP ME CHOOSE........  (Read 615 times)

Offline EDELWEISS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
HELP ME CHOOSE........
« on: December 12, 2007, 05:20:44 PM »
Im in the market for a new ZOMBIE gun.  Its not a need, I have a CAR15 (M4 for you youngn's) and a AK, plus a SSG.  I cant even decide what kind of gun I want, (well I want them all...).  The more I try to narrow it down, the more ideas I come up with to add to the confusion.  What ever I get, I'll want to start picking up mags and accessories, including ammo.  I live in the PEOPLE REPUBLIK of MARYLAND, where they keep me safe by forbidding me from buying magazines over 20 rounds.  I can have them, and I can buy them out of state and bring them here, I just cant buy them here or have them mailed here to me.  Id like to keep the purchase price UNDER $1000.

Here are some of my ideas:

CETME ($600) good price, cheap mags ($2-$5), 20 rnd capacity  BUT older design,  spare parts may become an issue

SAIGA 308 ($400) good reliable AK design, cheap price, cheap enough to customize with rails and lights etc. small package BUT expensive mags ($40+) mag capacity 8-10 rnds, parts may be scare

TROMIX type AK in 308 ($800+) reliable (AK) design, looks cool with folding stock and pistol grip BUT price near limit, plus above issues

M1A SOCOM ($1300+) very cool and lots of positives BUT way over my limit

VECTOR UZI ($600) good price, battle tested, cool factor BUT mags are expensive ($20+) and will require road trips, long barrel is ugly, I dont have anything else in 9mm

Thompson 1928 or M1 ($900) lots of history and cool factor, mags are cheaper ($10+/-) and 20 rounders are available, I shoot 45acp BUT pushing the limit on my price

KELTEC SUB 2000 ($400) good price, neat design, seems like a good company, still in production, I like the folding feature BUT IM not sure about its durability or ability to fire lots of ammo because of lite weight and plastics, I dont own any of the pistols that it has mags for (Hmmmmmmmm maybe an excuse for a Glock 23???)

Then theres always the old SKS, every time I have one and sell it I regret not keeping it.  I wish I had bought more when they were $89.

WHATDAYA think?  I need lots of suggestions.  Did I miss anything?  Help me out before I waste my money....

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: HELP ME CHOOSE........
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 01:10:59 AM »
Edelweiss:  I would go for the Saiga - just might go for one of them myself.  They carry the scope rail and finding scope mounts for those rifles is very easy.  I would love to try one in 06.

I suggested the Saiga for its 'scope-ability' as it's the easiest of the ones you named to scope.  And, for a Zombie gun you need a scope to start kncokin' off at longer ranges before they getcha.  Just a thought.  Mikey.

Offline targshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 02:18:32 AM »
I second the Saiga vote from the above choices, and for the same reasons. If I did not own what is in my inventory, a Saiga would be there in one of its guises. There is a Saiga site on the internet, so a Google on Saiga should get you there. Very interesting reading and filled with happy campers.

Offline EDELWEISS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 03:10:38 AM »
I started this thinking "I had to have" a Vector Uzi just because they were half the price of the originals and still a good gun.  Then the long barrel bothered me and I scheemed about how to cover it with a fake suppressor until I cobbled up the cash to deal with the hassle of class3 just for a SBR.  Then I was leaning to the KELTEC SUB 2000 and I may still go that way because of the cost.  I can get a SUB 2000 and a Glock 23 for under my $1000 mark, but Im worried about how durable the rifle will be.  Finally I started thinking that the SAIGA in 308 with the 16inch barrel may just be the "poor mans" M1A Socom.  Ofcourse not exactly but a close enough version for 1/3 of the cost.  Plus the SAIGA transfers as a rifle BUT the UZI requires pistol paprework and a wait for my safety in these parts.

Im thinking a rail up front for a light or two and possibly a red dot or holo type sight.  Then add, say 5 or 6 mags and ......
Lets see a SAIGA 308 dressed out with a few mags for half of a M1A, or a SUB 2000 and a G23 for about the same Hmmmmmm???

Im still not sure but this is fun.  Keep up the suggestions.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 09:38:06 AM »
spend the extra $ and get them socom.    you'll never regret it.   as far as the others go, like the old saying goes   "you can't polish a turd."

Offline EDELWEISS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 11:49:04 AM »
Heres what I have decided (today----might change tomorrow), Im gonna go for the SAIGA 308 with a 16 inch barrel and keep it mostly stock except for a couple rails on the hand guards for lights.  Mean while Im gonna save for the Vector UZI (maybe SBR).

The price of the SAIGA was just too tempting, and its in 308, and its got the reliability of an AK.  I know its not a M1A, but its only $300.  Im gonna pick up a few extra mags of course and lay in a stock pile of 308 just for this rifle, separate from my  match stuff for my bolt guns.

I like the compactness of the KELTEC in 40S&W, but Im not convinced the plastic trigger guard will tolerate repeated use, as thats what is required to open and close it.  If I can find a used one cheap enough I may still add that as a car rifle for my brief case.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 03:06:11 AM »
Draganovs are available here now for 5 to $600.  Excellent examples.  The best part is ammo is still readily available @ $150 per 1,000.  Compare that to .308. ;)

Offline scout34

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 01:17:59 AM »
I would consider the M1A in 22" before I got the short barreled version.  Sounds like you've got all your short range bases covered, go with the longer barrel and reach out a bit.  Pricey, but oh so worth it.

Sorry about the climate in MD.  I used to be from there, now I'm from TX.  Trying to get my Dad to move down as well before they get a big chunk of his retirement.  Come on down.