Author Topic: Scoping a Mossberg 500  (Read 906 times)

Offline BradCoPAHunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Scoping a Mossberg 500
« on: September 10, 2006, 04:50:54 PM »
I'm thinking of buying a Mossberg 500 with a rifled slug barrel for deer hunting.  I was glad to see on Mossberg's web site that they now drill and tap the receivers of the 500's.  Who sells scope bases for the model 500?  What height rings would I need for a scope with a 40mm ocular bell and 25-28mm objective bell?  Would 150 yards with saboted rounds from a 20 gauge be a realistic maximum range?  Anything you can tell me from your experience will be helpful.  Thanks:)

Offline Critter

• Contributor
Re: Scoping a Mossberg 500
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 06:49:48 AM »
Just about everybody makes a base for the Mossberg.  I would suggest Weaver mounts and rings.  They hold up really well on shotguns and are second in holding strength only to European claw mounts.  If you remove the rear sight you should be able to use mediums, maybe you can without removing the rear sight.  It's hard to say without having the exact equipment in front of me.

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 11:24:51 AM »
I don't have a mossberg 500, but the 535. I last year bought the mossberg 535 and I love it, I had the same intentions just like you did Brad. What I found out at the range at 100 yards I had about 8 inch patterns, now I did not have a slug barrel I had a smooth bore barrel with basic slugs. If I were you I would buy the H@R ultra slugger, why because it is the best slugger on the market. If you are looking for accuracy at 200 yards this is the way to go. I don't have one,  but from what I have read and heard this is the best. I guy shot this gun at 100 yards he had a .75 inch of a pattern, at 150 yards he had a 4 inch pattern, at 175 yards he had a 5 inch pattern, and my friend has one and he got at 200 yards a 6 inch pattern, and mossberg is going to stop making 500 because 500 can only take a 3 inch shell, but the 535 is identical and can take a 3.5 inch shell. So if I were you I would buy the H@R just like I am going to with scope and all for about 350.00 dollars.   

Hoped I helped    Buckshooter       
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline usmc2111

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 11:51:05 AM »
With a rifled barrel it should shoot excellent to 100 and good at 200. E=1-2" groups and g=3-5" groups. Buddy has one and it shoots this. But everyone knows not all guns are the same. If you do buy it, try 2 or 3 brands of ammo for it before you make your opinion. Good or Bad. My 870 loves Win sabot but hates the Rem sabots. And going from 2.75" to 3" Will also make a difference.