Author Topic: My 410 Slugger  (Read 1148 times)

Offline scout4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
My 410 Slugger
« on: December 18, 2007, 05:32:34 AM »
Hello Men. I've tried postin pictures of my 410 slugger, but they won't post. I get a box that says post to large needs to be 1024 KB. Have no idea what that is. I know some of you guys like to see this, so if ya have some pc picture posting knowledge I'd appreciate it. Thanks scout4<><

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: My 410 Slugger
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 08:03:24 AM »
I added the pics you emailed me. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 10:41:26 AM »
I have seen 2 good things on this thread, the gun and Tim. He is great to go out of his way to post pictures for us less talented. Thanks Tim....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 12:05:53 AM »
Nice gun, nice shootin' and nice pictures.  Thanks for sharing with us.  And, yes, thanks Tim for gettin' those pics up.
Is that from a standard 26" barrel with a full choke?

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 02:22:15 AM »
Thank you Tim! I appreciate that. Cookiemann, yes it was a 26" barrel and full choke. Now its 24" and cylinder bore, with a rifle crown that the smithy did. Thanks again Tim! scout4<><

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 04:07:57 AM »
scout4, out of curiosity did you shoot it for effect with the full choke 26" barrel? If so what were the results?....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 05:18:43 AM »
Hey MSP Ret, Yes I did. I only shot the Winchester superX before I decided to go ahead and have it made into a scope sighted slugger. I shot both the 3" 1/4 oz winchester and the 2 1/2" 1/5 oz. With this gun the 3 inch mag winchester's will not shoot good at all. But the 2 1/2" 1/5 oz. shoots fantastic! as the photos show. For a long time I've wanted to have a smoothbore slug gun. This for me was the best way to do that. The 2 1/2" winchester's shot well with just the bead front sight, I really had to practice though for any real consistent accuracy. My decision to have the barrel bobbed to 24" an open the bore to cylinder came from reading and research. I'm very pleased with the results. scout4<><

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 05:31:36 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply buddy and a very Merry Christmas to you. I believe I can see a .410 slugger with either a Red Dot or low powered scope on it in my future. Since your gun is now a true cylinder bore have you thought at all about loading a shell with perhaps 3 or so .410 diameter lead balls, similar to a Dixie Slug Tri-Ball load but for a .410? ..<><....:)

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 02:35:22 AM »
A very Merry Christmas to you also MSP Ret and to all the others on this forum! It will be great to know what you come up with in the way of a 410 slugger MSP Ret. I'll be lookin forward to that. I never gave buckshot loads a thought, but it would be interesting to find out how that would shoot. A local gunshop here has 410 buckshot ammo seen them while I was lookin for slugs. I'll have to give that a try sometime. Thanks MSP Ret. Thanks again Tim, nice job Buddy! scout4<><

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 06:06:36 AM »
You're welcome, you all have a very Merry Christmas. ;)

Tim

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 02:58:02 PM »
Scout4, I keep coming back to look at your post.  I have a versa pack I think I would like to do this to. How effective is the 410 slug on game?
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 03:11:40 PM »
I'm thinking a .410/45 Colt Survivor barrel wilth a peep sight or low power scope might make a good lite slug gun. :D

Tim

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 03:15:25 PM »
BTW Scout4, I saw some 410 buckshot several years ago. If memory serves the had 3 OOO buckshot in them. I think they were put out by American Derringer
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 04:51:24 AM »
greg916 My own hunting experiences using the 410 as a slug shooter are limited at this time. Had only one  opportunity at a deer but messed up on the shot and got a nice birch tree instead of the deer. [ details in an earlier post; accuracy of my slug shooter]  Anyway, from my own shooting research, I personally would not have a problem with using my NEF 410 with the Brenneke 1/4 oz. silver slug for hunting deer, within its very limited range of about 40 yards. The 410 bore is a short range proposition and the Brenneke slug is the heavy duty game getter. Thanks for the onfo on the buckshot. Have a great day! and Merry Christmas! scout4<><

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 10:40:02 AM »
I personally would not have a problem with using my NEF 410 with the Brenneke 1/4 oz. silver slug for hunting deer,

I really don't think a 1/4oz slug will do a good job. Consider one 1/4oz=109gr
and the MV will be say about 1500ft, that computes to 415ft/lbs ar 50yrds.
That is spreading the energy pretty thin.

It would have to be a very precisely placed shot in the neck or head. With a 3"
dispersion (group) at this range would mean a wounded or lost deer.

Also I read many years ago that a man in New Brunswick shot a 400lbs Black bear with a 410 slug.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2007, 07:34:02 AM »
It's the challenge! It's all about the challenge of these type of firearms! Takin that little 410 bore an makin an accurate slug shooter out of something that really isn't a slug gun. I'd say thats a pretty cool thing! And rather I decide to hunt anything with the little smoothbore or just have it as a very cool deadly accurate smoothbore rifled slug shooter and shoot at targets or dead tree stumps is just another cool thing about owning such a gun. Sure is cheap to shoot! Three bucks and alittle change will get me a box of winchester's. Have a great day! Merry Christmas! scout4<><