Author Topic: Its been a while....  (Read 384 times)

Offline ThomasB

• Trade Count: (0)
Its been a while....
« on: December 10, 2007, 08:09:41 AM »
Well, after a couple of years I finally pulled my 12ga. Partner out of the safe and took it out saturday.
I wanted to try out some of the #4 and #6 shot in it as I'm planning a turkey hunt this next spring.
Man - I forgot just how much fun that thing is to shoot. After patterning it on some cardboard, my son
and I took turns busting some clays with it. WHAT A BLAST....great way to spend my birthday.
  I got pretty good patterns with the #6 shot but didn't care much for the #4's. It has a modified choke
but am thinking of sending it in and getting the t98-tk2 turkey bbl (with choke) or just the full choke bbl.
Any suggestions would be helpful as this will be my first turkey hunt and was curious as to why they
NEF camo turkey shotgun just has a full choke bbl. Would that be sufficient as its cheaper than the
tk2 with screw in choke.
Thanks
Tom
Thomas B.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: Its been a while....
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 01:59:01 PM »
I think the standard Full Choke barrel would do well for you.  But...with the choke tube barrel you would be able to increase your range by having the turkey choke tube installed.  You would also be able to cover ANY shotgun situation you may want to hunt in, just by changing the choke tube.  Really depends on the ranges you will be shooting and your preferences, as to which barrel you decide on.  Good Luck

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 07:29:25 PM »
I can not recommend the Hevi shot 3"#4's turkey load enough.
Last April in NC a big Tom would not come into the blind for 3/4 of an hour and I finally took the shot at 80 paces and anchored him.  They may be expensive but they are worth it.  Most of the shot hit him in the head and neck from a full choke.  I watched the wad hit him too.  It went right where I aimed. 
We later learned that we had the decoys too close to the woods and they were making him nervous.

Offline ThomasB

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 09:41:11 AM »
Thanks for the info guys - will get the t98-tk2 with screw in chokes (for versatility)....might decide to
see what it can do with some pheasant  ;D.
 Going to pick up some of the HEVISHOT and give it a try. Hows the recoil on those #4's????
Tom
Thomas B.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 02:41:24 PM »
It's a 3" mag shell.  I'm not recoil sensitive so .....  Try the 2 3/4" one if you are.
Oh yea carry a trap, skeet, dove what ever load with you to use a final shot if needed.