Author Topic: are hydrolic cylinder and good for cannon barrels??  (Read 595 times)

Offline gassaway

• Trade Count: (0)
are hydrolic cylinder and good for cannon barrels??
« on: December 17, 2007, 05:25:17 AM »
im looking at one online that has a 3" inchbore 10" stroke and is 24 oal from a harbor instalation down in huston.... is this usable to make a gun?

Offline gimlet

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: are hydrolic cylinder and good for cannon barrels??
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 05:45:08 PM »
A 3 inch cylinder will only have a wall thickness of 3/8 to 1/2 inch. Quite a bit too thin I'm afraid.

Offline HogSniper

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 06:12:58 PM »
I made one like that years ago..It was a cylinder off of a dump truck snow plow..It shot spray paint cans (W/ a duct tape gas seal) like a champ...I used an ounce of power (one 35 mm film canister) and never had any problems.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 06:27:39 PM »
I made one like that years ago..It was a cylinder off of a dump truck snow plow..It shot spray paint cans (W/ a duct tape gas seal) like a champ...I used an ounce of power (one 35 mm film canister) and never had any problems.

Not having any problems is not the same as safe.  Last July 4th we had young boy killed by a cannon that had never had any problems...before!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: are hydraulic cylinders any good for cannon barrels??
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 07:32:28 PM »
You could probably safely make a chambered howitzer with one by shrink fitting an appropriately chambered breech plug and welding it in place.  The breechplug would resist the highest part of the pressure curve. 

Although the pressure ratings of hydraulic cylinders sound high, they are usually at least a factor of ten less than the pressures seen in black powder artillery barrels.  Unless they meet the wall thickness = bore diameter rule, you need to do all the engineering calculations before you can be sure of a safe cannon when using one.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill