Author Topic: 07 hunting success stories with an ultra slug hunter  (Read 503 times)

Offline nik73

• Trade Count: (0)
07 hunting success stories with an ultra slug hunter
« on: December 17, 2007, 07:44:06 AM »
       If you have a hunting story you would like to share please include your shotgun,slug,and distance. I am very interested in slug performance.

Offline ftw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 07 hunting success stories with an ultra slug hunter
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 02:28:34 PM »
  I went to Southern Ohio to meet up with two brothers, a brother-in-law and several more new and old friends. We have about three hundred acres we can hunt and a very nice farmhouse to stay in. The food and company was worth the trip from georgia but the hunting was good also.

We were asked to shoot does and any good mature buck over eight points. I saw 20 deer the first day on stand, several six pointers a few spikes and the rest does. I did not shoot a doe right off because of the buck sign that was around and the amount of acorns on the ground, I figured the big boy might show.

I had about the same results for the next three days, lots of does, smaller bucks but no big bucks. Finally one evening I wa feeling lazy and just went up the hill behind the house where a Double bull blind was set up across a small pond and watching a woodline. A nice doe stepped out and started to feed, I had aready ranged the wood line at 54 yards. I shot her with a 20Ga USH with the Hornady SST and she dropped like a rock and never moved. Cleaning later showed her heart was destroyed.
  The big buck never showed for me but my friend that made the trip with me took a nice 14 point that scored 140.
  I was well pleased with the USH and the SSTs.
Inside of every Old Man is a Kid saying "What the Heck Happened"

Frank

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 04:46:26 AM »
This past year we shot 5 deer with our slugguns. 3 of the deer were shot with 20 ga. Tracker II's  Two were shot at 30 yards or so with Winchester Partition Gold 3" @2000fps. These were both Bang Flops. Another was taken with a 20 ga. Tracker II using Federal 3" Barnes Expanders @1900fps. This deer was shot at 25 yards and ran about 50 yards with a good size hole from the exit wound.

Two others were shot by a relative with a 870 Rem. with rifled barrel with Winchester all lead saboted slugs. Both were shot in the neck and dropped instantly distance unknown by me.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 05:37:49 AM »
Shot a nice 8pt nov15th with 20 guage USH Hornady SST. Wont be using a 12 g anymore
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting