Author Topic: Best Value in a Compact Scope  (Read 708 times)

Offline SoftPoint

• Trade Count: (0)
Best Value in a Compact Scope
« on: January 13, 2008, 07:33:28 AM »
What is the best value out there for a compact scope to put on a short barrel lever action Marlin big bore rifle. I am looking something that performs well, but doesn't break the bank.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Re: Best Value in a Compact Scope
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 10:11:02 AM »
If you can deal with a fixed 4x. Natchez Shooter's Supply has a Weaver 4x32 shotgun scope on clearance for $79, MSRP was $245, actual retail was around $150 or so at most places on the net.  The Optic Zone has a Weaver Shotgun 1.5-5x32 on clearance for $139 (I think), also a very good deal.  For a big bore, assuming it's a 45-70 or a .450 Marlin??, I wouldn't look at anything bigger than a 1.5-5 or 1.5-6 myself.  Lots of nice scopes in the low range available, 1-3, 1-4, etc.

Offline SoftPoint

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 03:18:07 AM »

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 05:18:55 AM »
Kinda depends I guess on your definition of compact and value.  ???

However about the best of the truly compact scopes are those Leupold used to call Compact but I think they now have a different name for them. They came in 2-7 and 3-9 and I've owned both in the past and still have the 3-9. You do give up a bit of eye relief and FOV with them as compared to non compact scopes and honestly gain little in size or weight reduction.

I think Burris is about the only other company offering a truly compact line of scopes and I'm not real fond of Burris scopes altho I love their rings.

Most all fixed power scopes to 4X and variable with max magnification in the 6x to 7x range are pretty compact however and most any of them will get the job done. I have a Bushnell 1.5-4.5 I think it's a Trophy as best as I can recall on a Marlin for similar uses to what you plan. I also have an older Leupold fixed 3X that is about as ideal for compact scopes as it gets. The Leupold Vari-X II 1-4 and Vari-X III 1.5-5 are close to the ultimate choices for truly compact scopes but prices are not cheap. You can still find them used from time to time and when you do they are great bargains. Still I personally perfer an objective larger than 20mm regardless of magnification that small 20mm objective regardless of the real world exit pupil just is not as bright as a scope with a 28mm to 32mm objective. Early mornings and late afternoons it does matter.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 01:39:56 PM »
Graybeard aren't you talking about the Burris Short mag Scopes? Also If I were you I would get a scout scope base and a Bushnell Pistol Scope with Firefly. Its compact enough.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick