Author Topic: Hornady SST slug?  (Read 2298 times)

Offline pigguy

• Trade Count: (0)
Hornady SST slug?
« on: October 29, 2007, 11:50:09 AM »
I was wondering if anybody has used these.I have been using winchester partition golds.But this past saturday I  used the SST muzzelloader bullets,took a spike and a doe(tagged out in 1 day,woohoo!!).These bullets are by far the best ever used in my muzzelloader and was wanting some reports on there effectiveness in 12 gauge slug form.Thanks and happy backstraps to ya!

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
Re: Hornady SST slug?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 09:47:17 AM »
Pigguy,
this post by New York Hunter will answer your question http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,129340.0.html

Doug

Offline oliverstacy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 05:11:12 PM »
I posted this last year but can't find the actual post so I'll copy and past from an email I sent to a friend on this topic...

Well I have to say I'm as sore as I've ever been after an afternoon of shooting.  I for some reason took the following:

Two Encore Frames, 12 gauge SST 24" slug barrel, 24" 375 Winchester and my 28" 9.3x74R to the range...this will be the first and last time I take this combo.  I'm not a small person and it took every ounce of my 290 lbs to not flinch towards the end of the session. 

Slugs as follows:

BRI's were mainly for sighting in with one three shot group at 1.195" CTC, most were much larger and this was at 50 yards.  I found this load to be pleasant to shoot but not as accurate as some of the others.

Winchester Platinum 2-3/4"...at 50 yards it shot a 5 shot 1.702" CTC group and was noticeably harder on the shoulder.  Did not shoot this at a hundred and will shot more in the future to see if it performs better with a cleaner gun.  I tried to keep it clean and cool but when you're in a small hurry because of the range time you do your best.

Lightfields at 50 yards weren't worth mentioning around 3.5" five shot group at 50 yards.  These didn't kick as bad as I thought they were going to.  Full 1 ounce slugs!!

Hornady SST's 300 grain sabots.  First let me say I see why they are going 1900 ft/sec. (this is what the box says) they kicked me more than anything else has.  But they are worth the punishment.  Groups at 100 yards were printing 4" higher than the others at 50 yards, you could tell the added velocity.  5 shot group at 100 yards was 2.093" and 4 of those were 1.716".  I ran out of shoulder at this point and switched to my 9.3X74R...not that this was much nicer to shoot.

I will shoot the Winchester Platinum tips at 100 yards along side the SST's to see what the difference is.  I'm leaning towards the SST's because they are faster and cheaper (which surprises me). I didn't get a chance to shoot the Winchester Partition Gold and the Remington copper solids but will in the future.

Hope this info helps. 
My wife once made the mistake of telling me "all of your guns look alike"...No, I've had this gun for a long time! LOL

Offline IOWA DON

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 04:27:09 AM »
I used to use Winchester Partition Golds in my TCR-87 with a custom 20-ga barrel. For last winter's deer seasons I switched to Hornaday SST's thinking the streamlined point would give a better ballistic coeficient even if the manufacturer's advertised ballistic coeficients are essentially the same. In 20-ga the SST's have a slower muzzle velocity than the Winchesters but I thought the SST's would overtake the Winchesters at long range. I intended to chronograph both loads at long range and see, but forgot. Maybe I will go do that soon. The Hornadays give slightly better accuracy in my gun. I shot 13 deer with them last winter, including 4 deer at over 150 yards. A doe shot at 160 yards ran about 100 yards after being hit and a medium sized 10-point buck also ran about 100 yards after being hit. The others went down much faster.

Offline NYH1

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 07:37:40 AM »
I used to use Winchester Partition Golds in my TCR-87 with a custom 20-ga barrel. For last winter's deer seasons I switched to Hornaday SST's thinking the streamlined point would give a better ballistic coeficient even if the manufacturer's advertised ballistic coeficients are essentially the same. In 20-ga the SST's have a slower muzzle velocity than the Winchesters but I thought the SST's would overtake the Winchesters at long range. I intended to chronograph both loads at long range and see, but forgot. Maybe I will go do that soon. The Hornadays give slightly better accuracy in my gun. I shot 13 deer with them last winter, including 4 deer at over 150 yards. A doe shot at 160 yards ran about 100 yards after being hit and a medium sized 10-point buck also ran about 100 yards after being hit. The others went down much faster.
How do the SST's compare to the Partition Gold's on deer?  Do they seem to be as effective?  Thanks. 
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline IOWA DON

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 11:19:51 AM »
New York Hunter - I can't tell any difference in terminal performance between the two, and I shot more deer with the Winchester slugs than with the Hornadays. These were 20-gauge and in my opinion they are entirely adequate for deer. The 12-gauge would have even more thump. If the Hornadays actually have a higher ballistic coefficient they would drift less in the wind. I don't know about in New York, but the wind blows a lot here in Iowa during our deer seasons. That combined with lots of open areas offering long shots makes wind drift important, and shotgun slugs drift a lot more in the wind than most centerfire rifles. Also, since sabot deer slugs all have relatively low velocities compared to most centerfire rifles, I don't think premium type bullets like partitions, bonded bullets and solid copper bullets are needed for penetration at these low velocities. The only slug of either Hornaday or Winchester that I don't remember exiting a deer was a Winchester slug in a deer I shot that was facing me. The deer was a small one and the slug failed to completely penetrate the deer end-to-end by a couple inches. The big plastic tip on the Hornaday SST bullets is essentially a very soft peice of material covering a large hollow point. I think these slugs would open up at very low velocities, like Nosler Balistic Tips compared to other bullets intended for centerfire rifles. - DON

Offline NYH1

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 06:37:25 PM »
Thanks Don!  ;D
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline oliverstacy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 02:30:50 PM »
I just broke the Encore 12 ga barrel in tonight, I have it sighted in with SST's at a 100 yards.  Nice big doe, which was fine with me.  First shot was around 70 yards quartering to me and entered high in the back and angled down to the back leg...not sure if it exited or not.  She went down on the first shot and got back up and came at me, I had a shell in my hand so I got it loaded back up and took the second shot at around 40 yards.  That one took her just in front of the back leg and exited through the front leg and took the heart out.  Very pleased with the results of the SST's, huge hole through the heart and she only went 20 yards more. 

I have some that I need to get sighted in for my muzzleloader.  Hornady makes so very nice bullets.

Josh
My wife once made the mistake of telling me "all of your guns look alike"...No, I've had this gun for a long time! LOL

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 04:07:21 PM »
I shot a nice 8pt at 50 yrds walking directly away from me. I was in a treestand so I shot him in the middle of the back. Took out a mager arterie & about 8 inches of vertabre. Dropped like a rock, Never seen a deer pump out blood like that before. I ll be sticking with them for my 20 guage
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline IOWA DON

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 03:39:58 AM »
Yesterday I got a deer with my 20-gauge and the Hornaday SST's. This was during our Thanksgiving weekend doe season.  The doe and the buck were running from me in set-aside land and stopped, turned and looked back at what I guessed to be 180 yards. There was no time to use a rangefinder. I sight in for about 3 inches high at 100 yards so put the crosshairs at the top of her back. She was slightly quartering away from me and there was no wind. The bullet was centered or maybe slightly low for elevation and entered about one inch behind the diaphram and exited through the rear part of the far shoulder. The exit hole was small and the doe ran about 75 yards before falling. I sure wish it had been buck season as he was a real nice 8-pointer had really heavy antlers with tall tines. I have to spend a couple hours today slicing deer meat into jerky and then the wife has the rest of my day planned. With a little luck, tomorrow I'll have a chance to fill another tag.

Offline Birddog1

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 11:16:10 AM »
I went out today to fine tune my 870.  I used it last year with Remington Cooper Sabots but the groups were just OK in my opinion.  I tried Lightfield Hybred EXP's, Hornady SST's and Remington copper sabots.  I was shooting off of a bench with a Hart rest.  Distance is only 50 yards but I did try to Lightfield's at 75 yards.  The area I hunt is very thick, timbered about 8 years ago, so 75 yards would be a long shot.  I only fired 3 shots with each round, all measurements are dead center to dead center of the farthest shots. 

1.  Lightfields - 3 shots, 1.25 inch group, 2 shots dead center.  These punch an impressive hole since they are 1.25 oz slugs (I think I punched the first shot)
2.  Hornadys - 3 shots, .75 inch group starting about .5 inch low
3.  Remington - 3 shots, 2.25 inch group. 

4.  Lightfields - 2 shots at 75 yards, 1.50 inch

Both the Lightfield and Hornady gave very impressive results.  The one thing I found with the 870 cantilever barrel is that you have to be sure the magazine cap is tight.  I use a pair of vice grips with a rag over the cap to tighten it. 

Offline IOWA DON

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 09:55:01 AM »
Today, the last day of the Thanksgiving weekend season, I got another doe (with the 20-gauge Hornaday SST). It was about 100 yards away and at that distance there was no need to use a rangefinder. It was standing in some tall grass with a fawn. It ran at least 50, maybe 75 yards before going down. She was sort of quartering away. The bullet entrance hole was at about the diaphram and exit hole was just behind the shoulder on the opposite side.  The slug went through the animal above the center of the rib cage, about 2 inches below the bottom of the spinal column. I think the slug probably missed or barely hit the lung on the front side and went through the top of the lung on the far side. The exit hole was about 1-inch in diameter. Instead of field dressing deer, and hauling them home to butcher, I cut off the shoulders, back legs, and backstraps in the field. Therefore, I am not exactly sure which organs the slugs damaged. Toward the end of its run the deer disappeared behind some trees. Although there was some snow, the blood trail was not too good toward the end. The deer did a little semi-circle and died in some tall grass. If there had not been snow I may not have found her. That is, I may have thought my hit was bad and that she had run off rather than doing the semi-circle and dying close by. Had I centered the lungs better, I think there would have been a better blood trail and she probably would not have run as far.

Offline nik73

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 12:36:01 PM »
I have a 20 guage USH, I took it out to the range, along with 1 box of Hornaday SST and 3 boxes of lightfields exp. 2 3/4 . Everyone I talked to was partial to the lightfields. I went out at 50 yards and over the course of three boxes of lighfields, my average group of three shots was within 3-3.5". I began to think it was my shooting, then I tried the SST slugs and grouped three shots within .75", I am definitly an SST man now.