Author Topic: Folks around Yellowstone, Here's what to look forward to.  (Read 612 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Folks around Yellowstone, Here's what to look forward to.
« on: December 22, 2007, 03:25:29 PM »
Got this from today's Fairbanks Daily News Miner.

Dec 21, 9:38 PM EST

Bold Anchorage wolves attack dogs, circle joggers
Advertisement

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- A wolf pack surrounded three joggers and attacked one of their dogs in the latest of a series of bold attacks near Alaska's largest city.

A dog on a chain also was killed Thursday and a spokesman for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game said the same pack may be responsible for both attacks.

The dog in its own yard in Eagle River on Anchorage's north side was killed first Thursday morning.

A few hours later, the second attack occurred less than a mile away as three women and their dogs were running on a well-used stretch of road.

It was so quick, the three friends at first didn't know what was happening.

"They were so quiet. They just came right up on us. They were quick. The dogs had no clue. They didn't smell them or hear them - nothing," Alycia Beiergrohslein told KTVA-TV.

At least seven wolves surrounded the three women and their dogs as they jogged on Artillery Road. The lead wolves came within feet, circling the women as they tried to get away. They were only slightly deterred by pepper spray.

"I was rainbowing my pepper spray, and they fell back a little bit," said Camas Barkemeyer. "But as soon as we would turn our backs to try to go, they would run up on us, and we would turn around and start screaming again, and I would spray my pepper spray.

"We just kept pulling, and they were so big, and they started howling, and they were circling us. And it got us really panicked, and we kept screaming."

Beiergrohslein, Barkemeyer and the third jogger were more than a mile and a half away from their cars. The women had read the warnings about other wolf attacks and kept their dogs on leashes.

As the wolves circled, the women walked backward, screaming to keep the animals away, and trying to keep everyone safe.

"I love my dog with all my heart, but I can't jeopardize my friends. And if that's what they wanted, I didn't know whether to leave him," Beiergrohslein said.

The women held tight to the leashes, and were able to keep the wolves at bay, but not before the pack attacked Barkemeyer's American bulldog, Buddy.

"My dog was attacked by the wolves, three wolves," Barkemeyer said. "He fought his way out as I was pulling."

The women were not physically hurt. Buddy underwent surgery to mend gashes and bites left by the wolves. Barkemeyer said she worries the pack could attack again.

"They were not afraid of us," she said. "And I'm afraid that if I was out here by myself, they would attack me. They were not afraid."

Wildlife experts say wolves learn quickly.

"If they figure out that dogs are easy to kill, and good food for them, then they can just come to the conclusion that there is a lot more dogs than moose, and 'Let's just start eating the dogs for now," said Rick Sinnott, a state biologist. "I'm not sure they have quite reached that point, but they are working on that concept right now."

A dog accompanying two people on the northern edge of Anchorage was killed in late November. Earlier this month, a wolf carried off a 9-year-old Nova Scotia duck-tolling retriever that was trailing 30 feet behind its owner on a road on Fort Richardson Army Post, also on Anchorage's north side.

Sinnott said dogs were attacked 13 years ago by the same pack. The wolves stopped attacking dogs when key pack members were trapped and killed.

State officials are encouraging the military to scare the wolves from the area with rubber bullets or pepper balls. They also are warning people to keep out of the area and to keep dogs inside.

---
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Folks around Yellowstone, Here's what to look forward to.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 02:22:46 AM »
I was originally confused, thinking of Yellowstone national park. Now I see that there is a Yellowstone in Alaska also.
In any event those packs don't know how to read or understand territories and people should be wary and prepared even in the lower states--but especially in Alaska.
People tend to get a little too domesticated even up there.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Don Fischer

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 04:41:21 AM »
They got them going again in Idaho and some have moved to Oregon. Oregon has a policy on wolves, no shooting. There is no doubt in mind that the order of the day is SSS here. There's a movement underway to close down private land to recreational use in protest of the game commissions position on the wolves. I think where they will be the biggest problem will be around civilization. Just like they are bold around Anchorage, are they farther into the state? i lived up north of Wasilla for several years in the 80"s and they were never a problem. Civilization seems to be willing to tolerate any predator.

I like wolves but they can't be allowed into civilization. And they must fear man. I found this one about 15 mi or so south of Watson Lake, B.C. At a guess I would say it was around 150#. Your not going to do well in a fight with one of them, you need to shoot them. Teach them fear!

:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 05:08:28 PM »

Sourdough, That attach Was on the news down in Texas tonight.
 Thanks for the report, Marv.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 07:42:31 PM »
Williamlayton:  Yes, I am referring to Yellowstone National Park.  When the wolves have cut the numbers of wildlife down, and their population has increased to the point there is a lot of competition for food.  Once that happens look out.  With no hunting they will become bold and will take anything they feel they can eat.  Dogs or people, it does not matter.  We are not the top of the food chain.  We have actually had people killed and eaten here, but for some reason it is not being reported to the people in the lower 48.  We are currently having the same problem in North Pole with a pack here killing dogs and eating them.  My wife and son will not take our beagles out with out carrying a gun.  In fact my wife, my son, and myself, all go armed all the time.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 07:28:59 AM »
Sinnott said dogs were attacked 13 years ago by the same pack. The wolves stopped attacking dogs when key pack members were trapped and killed.

State officials are encouraging the military to scare the wolves from the area with rubber bullets or pepper balls. They also are warning people to keep out of the area and to keep dogs inside.

---

I imagine that the Military will be using some rubber bullets if you know what I mean. Depends on if they have anyone breathing down their neck in the effort to control this immediate problem.
Sounds like it is just going to happen again though.

Offline Chilachuck

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
Hunting wolves would be real good practice for the special forces types. You are doing real good if you can sneak up on one of those things.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 08:41:51 AM »
  The heck with Yellowstone. Here in MN we have had dogs being killed for decaged by wolves. We haven't had any bold enough to do it in the story described above but I know of one case where the wolves killed a lab that was running in the woods as the owner was on a walk down the road. In southern MN we have a wolff killed about every other year but my neighbors dog was killed by coyotes right in the front yard. Canines will not put up with another canine in thoer territory.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 01:31:05 AM »
It is a most dangerous situation.
I have too say that there is a great need to understand the degree of safety to humans and let that take precedence over a species that, not under control, is not just a pest but a life threat, and, pets are a part of the family.
We have the responsibility of killing pets that prove themselves to be a threat too life.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD