Author Topic: A carriage from the great white north  (Read 2223 times)

Offline lance

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: A carriage from the great white north
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 03:36:47 PM »
 Hey INTOODEEP, to be honest, i like it better ;D love that blue too! the first sled project will be for a 1" bore cannon, now i have to find a small King Howitzer, don't have room for full size projects, unless they are mortars.............Thanks again,ya know i like to keep projects on the to do list, in fact i've already saved the picture.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2007, 06:56:18 AM »
TERRY C, all i know for sure is i really like it. i think i'll build a small version of it. I got to admit it would look great at Christmas time behind  my "wooden deers" made out of log sections with tree branches for antlers.

Hah...we think alike! That's the first thought I had was a few reindeer out in front! Surly santa could get some elves to make a mortar level and aiming guide!

Even on snow, would it really slide that much? Would the horizontal component of the force overcome the inertial moment of a mortar large enough to need a sled that size?
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2007, 09:36:16 AM »

Even on snow, would it really slide that much? Would the horizontal component of the force overcome the inertial moment of a mortar large enough to need a sled that size?
[/quote]

Don, I believe the sled's main function is to move the gun through the wilderness in the snow not as a recoil mechanism.  Even then looking at the photo, I think it would be a major chore in deep snow.  Probably a major chore no matter how much snow for that matter.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline lance

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2007, 03:46:52 PM »
 I don't know how they will work in the snow, but i plan to test them. i'll just be building scale models,  really like the unusual projects. been thinking about the folks that built them in the first place, i don't think there was any rule book. they were given a task to move guns in the snow, and that's what they came up with. been working tons of overtime, but i should get the first one done by spring. won't be Christmas, but we still get snow in these Virginia mountains at spring time. Hey! maybe i won't dislike snow so much if i can play with cannons in it ;D

Offline lance

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2007, 12:32:27 PM »
Hey Lance,

I know that you are diligently working on that sled with the naval truck mount ;D ;D  So, I  thought I would just dig this post up and give ya one more to project to add while you are at it.....  :D

I just came across this and said "Hey! this ones for Lance".  It looks like your shade of blue too....

intoodeep, since ya was nice enough to find me another project..........you need one too! here's a couple of mortar pics for ya.........it's up to you about the color ;D

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2007, 04:50:26 PM »

I got this photo from the site listed below it seems the were made for 6 & 12 pound guns.

hope that helps.

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/armyarmaments/sleighs/sleigh1.htm

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline lance

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2007, 05:01:51 PM »
 Another great pic and link! it's even blue too ;D........... 15 men and snowshoes, 7 foot recoil, yeah, i'll be sticking with small scale models.