Author Topic: Billiard balls as ammunition?  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
Billiard balls as ammunition?
« on: December 22, 2007, 06:58:24 AM »
Has anyone built a mortar that fires standard billiard balls? I searched and there was some discussion of this awhile back, but a lot of it was just speculation and not much in the way of actual shooting. I did find out that standard pool balls will not work in the commercial 2¼" bores (no windage) but this would be a scratch-built barrel with the bore sized appropriately.

This topic stems from a conversation with a coworker, as we looked at the stack of material I've hoarded (I have five uncut 100mm x 8¼" rams and one partial that is about five inches long). We were talking about my next project, and I told him that I had thought about building a sodacan mortar.

As the conversation turned to Union vs. CSA pattern, minimum wall thickness, windage specs, etc., his eyes sort of glazed over. I have to remember to keep these discussions simple: "Mortar go boom. Big boom good."

Anyway, he recently split with his wife (they're reconciling) and the first this he did was to go out and buy a pool table for the living room. That's how the subject of pool balls came into play. About this time another party enters the conversation. He sternly insists that pool balls are explosive and might burst inside the tube.

Now I know that at one time pool balls were made of celluloid, and that they would sometimes spark when struck and would burn vigorously if thrown into a fire. But AFAIK no one makes celluloid balls anymore. So even if they are a danger the odds on getting one are slim to none.

Standard billiard balls have a diameter of 2.25" which would require a bore diameter of 2.308" for windage. This would be a better choice than the sodacan, which is pushing the limits of my stock size.

I've seen well-used pool balls on eBay go for as little as 50¢ each (bought in sets), so if I lose one or two it won't break the bank. If I check around I may find some locally, I don't think there's a huge market for worn-out pool balls.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Billiard balls as ammunition?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 07:06:53 AM »
Check with companies that run pinball machines and pool table in bars.  Bet they have surplus balls.

Offline lance

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 07:28:23 AM »
 I have some antique billiard balls made out of ivory...........no ya can't have them, but i will wish ya a Merry Christmas! looking forward to seeing your next project!!!
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 08:04:42 AM »
Terry,

While, I cannot say how they shoot. I can tell you this. The standard billiard ball is 2 1/4" and weighs almost 6oz. The Snooker balls that are red and white are 2 1/8" and weigh about 5oz. I believe I have seen a few at 2 1/16" but, I don't believe I have any of those stashed away.

I have a SBR Coehorn that I plan to use these in once I build a bed (on the to do list). I also, have a Cannonade that has a 2 1/4" bore that measures out at 2.316".

I have even picked up a few "Mini Billiard Balls" that are 1.5" and these are to big to fit into a standard 1.5" bore.

I have attached a photo below of one of my last yard sale purchase. These were $2.00. So, they are out there to be found. I was also give a set that were picked up from a Thrift Store for next to nothing. The last photo is of the Coehorn with one sitting in it.

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 08:23:25 AM »
Is that a standard or a snooker in the SBR Coehorn? I was under the impression that these had 2.25" bores and that standard balls would not fit.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 08:29:26 AM »
Terry C,

It is a standard. The tube measures at 2.258" and the ball is 2.238". The ball drops right in.... Hope this helps.

Offline lendi

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 09:53:23 AM »
Intoodeep,
Here is a picture of a SBR motar 75# that i did a number of years ago for a customer.
Lendi

Sorry for not having a powder can in the pic

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 11:15:23 AM »
Len,

Nice work as always.... That one is the big brother to mine. Thanks for the photos.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 03:27:10 AM »
I had a nice reproduction Bronze mortar years ago, my first run of ammunition for it were made of cement cast in side tennis balls and then removed. That was until I discovered pool balls! they worked fine, the main problem was recovery....... with a full chamber they went out of sight!

This was the one I had years back, Yeah I know It needed cleaning, had been out shooing it,
 didn't get to clean it till the next week end. I made the base and the irons for it.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 04:13:22 AM »
Welcome to the board, Kabar2.  So your motar needed cleaning...at least your were shooting! That's good.