Author Topic: New Guys  (Read 824 times)

Offline phalanx

• Trade Count: (0)
New Guys
« on: January 03, 2008, 02:05:49 PM »
Hello ,real nervous here,a few others are also. You guys really know your stuff , It seems some of us are migrating  to the major leagues.
Guys we mean no harm ,we want to participate ,but do not wish to step on any toes OK.
I have done this 12 years ,i have three tubes ,all land Carriage.
Some of my buddies have had tubes and are building new ones.
This is a really big siite ,not like the little BP forums we came from.
So if we say something stupid please ignore our Post ,or correct us.
I have two LTD ,and one South Bend ,i know Susan and a few others.
Thank you and i hope you understand.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: New Guys
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 02:32:05 PM »
I'm still new here myself but have known Phalanx for some time, He's a stand up guy.

He has had trouble posting photos in the past and I have posted for him on another site,
so here are some photo's of some of his artillery, I'll let him describe some the family  ;D (sorry no powder can for scale.)

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline lance

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 02:42:11 PM »
phalanx  Welcome to the forum, how many nervous guys are with you? No need to be nervous, everybody is friendly here................  KABAR2, it would be kinda pointless,although funny ;D ;D ;D to have a powder can in those pics! Yes Sir phalanx, tell us about your nice looking family.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline phalanx

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 03:33:11 PM »
Kabar : you always seem to amaze me. Kabar is one of the most knowledgeable guys i have ever meet on the web.
If he doesn't know it ,he will find out and tell you a link ,or explain it.
In all my years riding the smoke ,he is the only one i would  listen to ,up to being on this site,he is not Cherry.
My guns ,well they ain't much,they all have names. They are full scale ,one is rifled.
Kabar and i have talked back and forth for what ? two years ? I only posted this as to say ,he can really help your forum.
If a book has been written on this ,he has read it  :) He is great with Mortars ,i never was , Naval stuff ,that's, Pirate ,he is shy.
Funny though.
Kabar ,Pirate looked at the, i need help with the Naval carriage thing ,the guy who posted it made a great Carriage off of prints ,and cant find a tube to fit it.
I am thinking a British Verbruggen 2nd model ? or the full scale British 3lb. with crown and Cypher ,Pirate says the Spanish 4 pounder.
Until we get the dimensions i cant tell. ,but from what he says it is a narrow trunnion span ,with the ratchet,,,Spanish.
Pirate is better at that than me ,like me telling you about a Coehorn. I never had much use for them till i talked to you.
 I guess i better shut up huh ,I am still a newb here. Sorry guys, forget all i said,it dont mean nothing ,just talking to kabar.
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline phalanx

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 04:21:09 PM »
OK ,Guns.
Ordnance Rifle 1861 ,Full scale ,3 in . LTD .delivered 2/23/05 , With Stadia sights,and limber .
Napoleon  1857 full scale 3.5 bore  LTD , delivered  7/23/06    ,with   Stadia sights.
Full scale British 4 pounder ,3.25 bore ,South Bend, Delivery  10/03/ 06   .........................
 Ball molds made by RG machine in California.
All GCA and NFA certified.
All Have participated in Re-enacting ,commencements, Training .
Two in Indian wars re-enactment,.but not by me.
Limber for the 1861 has been repaired three times.
 Wheels and Axel's have been repaired and maintained according to specs.
Most have been moved by a mule team from a friend of mines , or in an escargo.
The ladys have been the bell at the ball ,at many a Cowboy action shoot ,Givingng me a free meal of Brisket and beans. :)
Constantine III

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 04:33:50 PM »
phalanx -

WELCOME to the board!

We all start somewhere close to the beginning!  You've got your feet well placed on the ground, don't hesitate to participate.

DD & I started this to LEARN.  We'd both built cannons/mortars before, but through 5 years of this we've learned a LOT about how to make cannons/mortars, who's who, SAFETY, metallurgy, and a lot of design and manufacturing principles..

There are stupid questions, example:  "Tim, would you like a beer?"  The answer should be obvious!

Other than that, speak up, ask questions!  The strength of this board is the respect we have for everyone and willingness of most folks here to find the answers.

We like to see pictures of machining processes, your cannons and mortars, and of course smoke and flame!

Look through the "stickies' at the top of the listings - rules etc and get to KNOW our sponsors - great people and quality products!
Folks we're proud to be associated with!

Again, WELCOME!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline lance

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 04:41:58 PM »
 I want to see some pics of the MULE team hooked up, hope ya understand, i have a few horses but like mules too! that's a fine cannon collection for sure!
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline phalanx

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 04:45:21 PM »
The Lady's ,have been the bell of the ball at more Cowboy shoots than i can count.
I would go out there on a Saturday ,and the kids and the Dads and Moms ,would all want want photo ops.
I would rig down,go home and they all told their Friends in neighboring towns.
So i get a call on Sunday that i need to bring one of the girls out to play.
So the gal who was the least nasty ,would be the new one.
 After a week end liike this,it took a week with a water hose to clean them up,30 weight motor oil ,and a can of good old Krylon to get them looking Purdey  agian.
Constantine III

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 04:59:34 PM »
Yes welcome to the board.  We are glad to have you.  We have a lot of guys building and shooting scale stuff here and few shooting  and working with the full size stuff also.  

We are open to all cannon shooters.  Perhaps you can convert some of the little gun shooters to big guns...but word of fair warning don't play bingo with these guys.  So talk about the big guns all you want.

Since we are so heavy on little guns here it has been kind of a board tradition that when you post a picture that you include a powder can in the picture for scale. If you look around the board a bit you will understand why.  It is a tradition not a rule. If you leave the can out no problem. Some one might say something it they can't tell how big your gun is.   But judging from your pictures, I don't think scale is a problem. Those are the big guns.

Anyone who knows enough to paint a carriage is always welcome.

Offline Cannonmaker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.neffcannons.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 05:55:13 PM »

DD thinks everything should be painted,  and that is fine.  I have seen nice cars that were not painted. 
as in the Deloren,    or however you spell his name.

Rick
Rick Neff
Neff Cannons & Machine LLC
480 N 1st Street East
PO Box 55
Malta, Idaho 83342              Keeping history alive with the roar of the guns

http://www.neffcannons.com/

Offline phalanx

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 06:10:28 PM »
Double D : thank you for your invite. All of my Lady's are full scale.
Most people had meet them in person ,but i will post that from now on ,or pics with a 6 foot man standing by her.
I would never,,bingo,,anyone on these tubes .
You have a really good site here ,and i know we came in like a bolt out of the blue ,thank you for letting us join your ranks sir.
Big guns is all i know, I came from a site that let me post this sport out of courtesy, as did Kabar ,we owe them a great deal.
We never let anyone asking ,do anything stupid ,Sir,i will only talk safety before i talk loads.
I have read your rules,i will stay by what you say as this is your site,If asked about crazy or illegal things ,i will refer to the rules of this site, and , report it to my Moderator.
Yes my girls are big ,and yes they can be dangerous. But around me they have always been pussy cats. My intention is to allow your people to teach me ,and perhaps i can tell them something they didnt know.
You have all the real barrel makers endorsing this site, I have their books, and i will try to encourage your people to stay with the specs,and the Tolerances they recommend.
Kabar ,is a very safety conscious person,he is much better at that than me. I was just a field learner,from the old timers,but after 12 years i am still here.
Trust me sir,we are not a batch of back woods reclusives ,firing tubes. and i understand your concern.
Constantine III

Offline phalanx

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 06:44:04 PM »
My guns  are full scale ,LTD & South Bend.
I use friction primers made by LTD.
In the smooth bores ,they fire Wheel weights cast from molds made by a man in California who is an artist at this.
I will not tell who makes my sights ,But Susan sells them and she is my friend.
I have used Hern and he is a very nice guy, and i have had no issues with his tubes as long as you stay with the one ounce ,per inch of bore,rule,i never tested them past that.
Susan and South bend made my carriages and i have no issues ,after years of rough Desert use.
Dixie uses Hern,and they seem to make good guns,i have seen alot of them.
Use your heads here guys,just because you have a good tube,you are only half way there.
A  carriage has to be able to support the recoil. Trunnion caps need to be cantered,DO NOT MAKE THEM YOURSELF.
Do not use Pine,then stain it. DO not use square bolt heads just for looks , like square nuts secured by nails on trunnion straps.
Do not ,secure the trunnion bearings down with Lag screws from Home Depot.
Failure to follow this will result in you eating your tube.
Constantine III

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 09:34:25 AM »
Phalanx, Do you have contact information for" Ball molds made by 'RG machine' in California".
Thanks much.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline phalanx

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 09:52:22 AM »
49er ,yes , RG isn't around anymore ,but the mans name is ,Charlie Young ,916 -723-8586 in Citrus Heights CA.
He made me a pair of handles on mine ,it looks like a giant version of a RCBS bullet mold.
Buy the way ,the first set i had made to keep it light i had him build the cavity out of Aluminum ,don't do this ,It was OK but after repeated use the Aluminum wore and they got to where they left flashing on the balls ,that and they were hard to clean.The steel ones i got were a smaller block ,i guess because of a strength factor and work so much better.
DD ,i see you were using a C clamp ,with the handles Charlie makes the cavity seals fine.
Constantine III

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 05:05:40 PM »
Yes, it does use C-clamp and that will change.  A mould that big must have handles or some way to open and close them.  This mould gets  very hot and heavy.  You must have some way to control it.  There are a couple of other things wrong with it that I will modifiy.  The alignment lip will be replace with dowel pins,  and I need to find a way to make a larger sprue puddle.