Author Topic: Marlin 1894 44 Mag ammo and site questions  (Read 640 times)

Offline mattmillerrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Marlin 1894 44 Mag ammo and site questions
« on: December 14, 2007, 03:37:25 AM »
I just picked up a 1894 in 44 Mag 20 in barrel manufactured in 1976( a well taken care of rifle), at the gun show last weekend.  I picked up some white box win 240gr jacket soft points( all this store even had in 44 mag).  I did get to shoot a few shots in a down poor of rain after checking the POI at about 30 yds I moved back as far as I could on my friends makeshift range, i guessed it at 65yds but did not range it.  I shot 4 shots with the factory sites, the bullets where in a straight line about 4 in across.  I thought that is a great group for the conditions, standing, cold, raining, and bulky cloths.  My questions are as follows:

1. What factory ammo does your 1894 shoot the best (please note which barrel length you have).  I am not interested in hand loads at this time but may get into later.  I would like to try several different bullet weights.  I will be using the gun for a fun gun, deer, and hog gun and to a lesser extent self defense and a truck gun.  I read on another review that the 1894's will cycle the 320gr but no larger (please note if the bullets cycles well)  I am looking for what shoots the best groups in the lighter bullets for fun, and depending on the ballistics for deer (or a med wt bullet for deer) and the heavy bullets for hog feel free to disagree because I have not ran the ballistics since the stuff the manufactures publish is from a 5 or 6 in handgun barrel.  One last note when my wife goes deer hunting with me this will be her gun so one of the lighter bullets for deer would be ideal cause she has recoil issues.

2. What do you guys think of the tang sights on these guns.  I like the look, it keeps the guns balance and easy carry over a scope but have thought about a scope too.  Not big on drilling holes in the gun, but will if I think the sight will be worth while.  I like open sights and have no problem with the factory sights, so this would be mostly just to try something different.

I already love this gun, thanks for the knowledge
MGM

Offline blue roan

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Marlin 1894 44 Mag ammo and site questions
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »
Congratulations on an excellent choice.

Your older Marlin 1894 is already drilled and tapped for either LYMAN or WILLIAMS receiver sights...I prefer the LYMANS.  All you need to install them is a gunsmith type screw driver and a dab of loc-tite.  Do a little reading on "ghost ring sights" and some of the other makers.  Marlin owners forum would be a good place to look and learn.

You may want a different front sight..the Lyman 17 series is an excellent choice; it uses inter-changeable inserts.

I've had at least one of these since 1972 or 73.  Currently two 24 inch Cowboy rifles and a 20 inch Cowboy  in 44 plus a 24 inch 357 Cowboy.  They all are used with lead bullets and a variety of loads.  I formerly had a round barreled gun cut back to 16.5...made the mistake of giving it to my step son and therein lies a tale.  He traded it for a bolt action in an obsolete magnum caliber.   He's still on my bad side for that mistake (among others!)

Someone else can offer their opinions on factory ammunition.  I don't own or use much.  I'd stick with 240 grain HP or JSP if available.
When they said Sharps, I always thought BIG 50!