Author Topic: Results from the hunt  (Read 421 times)

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
Results from the hunt
« on: December 25, 2007, 05:27:56 AM »
  Heya Guys ,

Well the nephew didnt take his first kill on our hunt ...Think he was trying to hard to keep the cross hairs right on the vitals (thinking he might have been expecting it to hold steady in the field like it did from the rest with sand bags heh) but nonetheless i had a good time helping him hunt for his oinker ... Our first contact with a nice 100 maybe 125 pnd hog was looking very promising as we stalked in closer for a 50 or less yard shot , I kneeled down so he could use my thigh as a rest to steady his shot ....Then after about 20 seconds of anticipating the shot ...... Bo0M !!!     My brothers wife fired on what would be a 140+ pnd Hog with some serious tusks for his weight,Well a second or two after her shot about 20 (no kidding) pigs ran outin front of us .... HAHAHAHAHAHA My nephew Joseph started making the most excited and yet startled sound at the same time  .... Good memories I suspect this trip will be for both of us, well the Ranch operator told Jospeh that his stay with him would be free this time since he didnt get his hog >..But he had to promise that next time he came he would be ready to get his first piggy ...I forsee us returning soon!
 Now for my end of the hunt, I went to Gander Mountain this last saturday and ended up coming home with an exact match to my old 270 WSM that i sold along with 20 some other guns from my collection when i lost my mother in 05 ,it was unexpected and 2 weeks before Christmas ..So without saying there were alot of firearms i didnt want to get rid of but you know what i mean when i say somethings are more important then my collection.. That aside , i picked up a Savage model 11 accu-trigger 270 WSM that i really wanted to get sighted in before we started hunting but there was no way the directions i got to get the range where we went to hunt in OK. would have happened lol ("Not the best directions i have ever got" would be an understatement) so i settled for using my trusty Uberti 45lc levergun again with good success. Took two nice freezer pigs (both a hair over100 pnds) both shoots were well placed with the new speer gold 250 grain bullet i had gone to .....But then i found either the limitations of my brass recievered 45lc guns abilities with standard pressure loads or I just  found out  how TUFF a 200 + pound hog can be... The shot wasnt more then 30 yards (stalked around a big low hanging cedar and this big greyish silver Boar was just doing his thing ,oblivious to my presence , Allowing for good patient shot selection ... Well long story short 250yards through unforgiving Oklahoma pig habitat and probably half that distance on my hands and knees crawling through low hanging cedars briars and what not ....Blood trail disapeared ,I was rather pissed ..I am that guy that will run into you in the deer woods looking for your blood trail ,and spend the next 6 hours of my life tryin to help you reclaim your animal... Maybe im a bit anal on this subject ,but hey we all have our pet peeves ,and one of mine is not finding my animal ..believe me the very few times this has happened it was sure not from a lack of trying ..So when me and my Missus go out there in the next 3 weeks (She wasnt able to come this trip due to her work ,And i promised to take her hunting this year) I will be After a Wall HANGER  .....and I'll let the freshly sighted in 270 wsm be my assurance that when the pig is hit the pig is done...  Also the Speer Gold Dot didnt make a clean pass through ,But slammed the pig to the ground on impact this is a post script after thought heh..
 But on we go .. I ended up harvesting a Mouflon Ram  (the other half told me she really "reallllllyyyyy" wanted a ram mount in the house, Sooooo after the dissapointment with my big boar i decided to give her her request and hunted for the next few hours to locate and stalk in on one of these animals. It fell to the might of my nephews super light youth 243  ..My brother ended up taking his wifes H&R 243 out for some pigs after he too took a ram like mine with his archery equipment ,And harvested two 100 something pnd hogs
 brother in law was having issues connecting with the first three animals he shot at ,But would end up taking a 50 pnd. hog (Upon the trip home i would find what i suspect was the culprit for his inaccuracy ) with a 30-06 Rossi single shot ,that my brother got him for Christmas
  So the trip was a hit ,had lots fun and some dissapointments ...But over all a great time with family and guns ,And NO shortage of good eats for the freezer ..

Happy Holiday,Safe travels and regards

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
Re: Results from the hunt
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 07:02:28 AM »
congrats on the hunt and thanks for the report.Merry Christmas Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 07:06:01 AM »
Man, it sounds like ya'll had a heck of a good time, and a great report to boot!

Those hogs are one tough animal, but make for some good eating, and I'm hoping to get a chance at a few this week also.

Family, fun, guns, and food, and it don't get any better than that!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 09:12:31 AM »

Man, it sounds like ya'll had a heck of a good time, and a great report to boot!

Those hogs are one tough animal, but make for some good eating, and I'm hoping to get a chance at a few this week also.

Family, fun, guns, and food, and it don't get any better than that!

You are sure right Jim  ,

They sure are!  And it sure doesnt

Glad you all liked the report

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason