Author Topic: Almost Caved Today  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Almost Caved Today
« on: December 26, 2007, 07:01:08 PM »
Went to Sportsman's Warehouse today.  A good friend behind the gun counter, knowing I am a Handiholic, just had to show me a 25-06 Ultra.  It sure felt good, shouldered nice, nice light trigger, Nice laminated stock the kind I like.  He knew I have been looking for a 25-06 for a while.  I sure liked it, and was thinking what it would be like to own this gun.  Thought about telling him to get out the paperwork.  Then I opened it and that familiar snap was absent.  I looked at how hard it would be to remove the empty.  Handed it back to my friend and left.  I'm just not in to plucking empties out of the chamber.  I knew if I was to buy it, that it would go the way of the Encore, Sit in the vault and never go out.

I'm not going to buy an more guns that I won't use, got enough of them now.

Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Almost Caved Today
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 05:09:50 AM »
I know the feeling. I have two cabinets full of rifles and I haven't been hunting in months. Some of them haven't been used in two years or more. Having said this, I think I'll get a Uberti Winchester 1876 Centennial replica in 45-60. I don't have a 45-60. After that I may sell some.

Mc

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 09:29:50 PM »
Went to Sportsman's Warehouse today.  A good friend behind the gun counter, knowing I am a Handiholic, just had to show me a 25-06 Ultra.  It sure felt good, shouldered nice, nice light trigger, Nice laminated stock the kind I like.  He knew I have been looking for a 25-06 for a while.  I sure liked it, and was thinking what it would be like to own this gun.  Thought about telling him to get out the paperwork.  Then I opened it and that familiar snap was absent.  I looked at how hard it would be to remove the empty.  Handed it back to my friend and left.  I'm just not in to plucking empties out of the chamber.  I knew if I was to buy it, that it would go the way of the Encore, Sit in the vault and never go out.

I'm not going to buy an more guns that I won't use, got enough of them now.

Handi's aren't Encores...and I doubt it would wind up being a safe queen like it did... :D :D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 10:18:41 AM »
Sourdough has stated repeatedly that he won't go afield with a gun that won't eject, so in his case 'safe queen' is probably correct.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 10:55:41 AM »
I agree with Sourdough, I have wanted a .44 Mag barrel for a while but waited until the barrel ID was corrected and sized down a bit so I could expect better accuracy than the old overbored barrels. They finally did that but it unfortunately it coincided with replacing the ejectors with extractors. Now I am ready to buy the barrel because they corrected the bore diameter but don't want a barrel with the cheaper extractor only.
As RoseAnne-RoseAnnadanna quoted her father as saying, "if it's not one thing it's another!!!....<><....:'(
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 10:58:21 AM »
I wish my 243 ultra had been an extractor yesterday. I stuck a case and had a coyote run about 100 yards away as I was cussing and trying to romove the stuck case. I put a BB in last night. We'll see.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 01:44:20 PM »
Sourdough has stated repeatedly that he won't go afield with a gun that won't eject, so in his case 'safe queen' is probably correct.

I sincerly doubt Rog would be doing any major hunting up there with the 25-06...at least where those big bears roam..and he can still get in some good wolf hunting with it.. ;)

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Willie496

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 06:17:34 AM »
We just purchased an Ultra 243 new and it will not eject the casings is this normal for these Ultras?
What do I have to modify to correct it?
W..

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 06:19:59 AM »
All current production rifles are extractors, not ejectors. They only lift the spent case out enough for it to be removed manually, that's the way extractors work. It can't be converted to an ejector without some serious machine work. :(

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Willie496

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 07:58:23 AM »
Thanks for the information Tim.
Willie..

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 10:39:44 AM »
Tim:  That's why it would become a "safe queen" and join the encores.  It's hard to fish an empty out wearing gloves.  And I have never had an ejector fail in the field.

Mac:  A 25-06 would see a lot of use here.  Brown Bears and Moose are the only things I would not use it for.  That leaves goats, sheep, caribou, black bears, deer, elk, musk-ox, wolves, coyotes, and I'm sure we could come up with a few others.  As for moose and brownies, if it was the only gun I had I would make darn sure of the shot placement.  That would be my only hesitation.  I've seen many brown bear taken with a .243, although personally I would not try it.  Why when I've got the big magnums. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 12:19:56 PM »
Back in the spring I purchased a new 45/70 Handi with the extractor.I like it.It doesn't have the "snap" and is so smooth on opening and closing.I've had both and I like the extractor better.

Stan
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 01:15:07 PM »
It's hard to fish an empty out wearing gloves. 

You're a creative fella Rog, it doesn't take much imagination to figure out how to pull a glove off for a few seconds if that's a problem, I hate gloves, but wear em when I have to, I make sure I can get em off in a hurry before I ever buy em, or they don't get bought in the first place.  ;)

And I have never had an ejector fail in the field.

Yet!!! :o ::)

Thousands and thousands of hunters learn to deal with Encores routinely and love em, it just seems to me that a fella shouldn't cut his nose off to spite his face due over a silly thing like an extractor over an ejector or vice versa, the extractor is reliable, what's not to like about reliable, just learn to work with it. ;)

Tim

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 02:30:35 PM »
Tim, the complaints about the H&R/NEF extractors may not have been as numerous and loud, and may not have continued without abating for as long as they have if the cheaper extractors were made to lift the shells further out of the chamber, perhaps a quarter inch (.25") or half inch (.5"), instead of the slight "lift" they do now. That slight "lift the current extractors impart to the shells as the gun is opened is not enough in hunting situations, especially in cold weather with gloves on or half frozen fingers. Extractors may have been good for some lawyer employed by the company but as they are now they are barely workable for the consumer who is a hunter. I am with Sourdough on this, I have never had an ejector fail while hunting and much prefer them. In fact I may never get the .44 Mag barrel I have wanted with a proper bore diameter because they all are made with extractors. I understand that you may be working on a conversion from extractor to ejector and hope for us here that you can do it. I am sure you will share it with us here. My old prediction stands and is becoming true, the older barrels with ejectors are getting to be worth more and are more in demand yjam extractor fitted barrels by those that know. In the future ejector fitted barrels will be much sought after, more so as all they produce now are extractor barrels....<><....:) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 02:56:48 PM »
If it's barely workable, how the heck do all the Encore hunters make it work, I just checked my 375H&H Prohunter barrel, it extracts the case .160", my 44mag extacts .155", real big difference eh!! :o ::)

You can make all the excuses in the world, it ain't gonna change a thing, extractors are here to stay, even if I create a workable conversion, which I do have a working plan for both ways, the parts to do it are $25-$30 and ejector parts won't be available forever, so that means they'll need to be custom made. :-\

Tim

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 04:47:30 PM »
That's fine Tim, those that will accept extractors are welcome to them.  I for one won't.  The encore sits in the vault, and my Handis with ejectors go hunting.  If the ejectors wear out and can not be repaired, I'll go back to bolt guns.  The reason I went to Handis in the first place were that they were cheap, shot good,  and I really liked the ejectors.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline jdwolf

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 10:30:54 PM »
Didn't H&R/NEF replace the ejector with an extractor because the ejector was faulty? I'd rather have a Handi with an extractor that works than one with an ejector that doesn't. Just my 2 cents.
Help support concealed carry in Illinois,  show your support.  http://www.cafepress.com/sicc

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 11:23:57 PM »
I think it was a safety legal issue on h&r's part with the pop open problem and a hot case flying out with your head in the way i can see it now some guy gets a case head stamp burned into his forehead the antiguns would love that one.