Author Topic: H&R stiff openning  (Read 478 times)

Offline olsingleshot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
H&R stiff openning
« on: December 26, 2007, 07:52:43 AM »
I just got an old H&R 157 (manlicher stock) in .22 hornet. First I tried Remingtion factory ammo and it showed signs of primer cratering and slight push out. Then I tried Winchester fatory and no problem. BUT the action is stiff to open on a fired round with either ammo. It shots OK. The head space, when gauged, is within factory limits. Anyone have any ideas?

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: H&R stiff openning
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 08:23:58 AM »
I have one of those in 30-30 ackley improved that I shot above 30-30 win. max loads so I can't see factory  22 hornet loads being the problem Is the firing pin sticking out? is it tight with out being loaded? or with an unfired shell? btw mines a tack driver with some loads
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline olsingleshot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 02:02:57 PM »
Not sure about firing pin. It is a little stiff opening even unloaded. I did grease it and it is better. I'll check firing pin.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 02:07:16 PM »
Remove the forend and check the barrel for movement when it's locked up, if it doesn't wiggle, you can make some adjustments of the forend spacer by flat sanding it so the forend doesn't fit so tight to allow it to open a bit easier IF the forend is causing the issue. If it does wiggle without the forend on, that's a different issue.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 02:38:55 PM »
Could be that it is on a shotgun frame with the larger diameter firing pin. I have seen that happening on a hornet barrel fitted to a shoygun frame.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.