Author Topic: New Handi questions...  (Read 579 times)

Offline TLARbb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
New Handi questions...
« on: December 30, 2007, 05:54:57 AM »
First let me say that I purchased a NEF Handi in .204 Ruger in September and have yet to shoot it.  That might happen this afternoon.  But, I have a couple questions that I can't seem to find in the FAQ's.  No doubt they're there somewhere, I just haven't found them. 

Now for the questions:

1.  I think I might like to buy accessory barrel(s) for the gun.  If I bought used barrels from the classifieds here, for instance, how much chance that they will fit my frame and shoot well without modifications?  I know that H&R/NEF has an accessory barrel program.  How long do they usually take to fit new barrels?  Are there any particular barrel combos that I should avoid?  I would want to stay with lower intensity rounds rather than the hotter ones.

2.  I see where Tim suggest putting the front rest just ahead of the hinge rather than farther out on the fore-end to get best groups.  However, this does not emulate field conditions very well either with bipod or just offhand support.  Just because I can get good groups with bag technique on the bench doesn't mean I will get similar accuracy when shooting in the field.  What can I reasonably expect for accuracy in the field with the typical Handi and typical field conditions?  Should I be concerned about this?  I have read enough in the forums here that I know that some use various bedding tricks on the fore-end to improve accuracy.  I don't have any problems tweaking and tuning, so that's not a big deal, I just want a comfort factor that what I can do on the bench will reasonably translate into how the rifle works in the field.

I'll report back on what the rifle does out of the box as soon as I get the range work done.  If not today, it will be next week, but I am probably going to set up something here and take a few shots and zero the scope.  The scope, BTW, is a Meuller APV.  If it shoots well enough, I'm going to buy some new laminated stocks for it.

You guys will have to help me with this as I am used to dealing with Rem 700 bolt guns and I have a lot of confidence with them that if they shoot well and to point of aim off the bench, they will shoot well and to point of aim in the field. 

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
Re: New Handi questions...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 06:22:41 AM »
Short of having big problems on the bench and having to shoot without the forearm on...a lot of the fine tweaking that we are doing on the bench is trying to squezz 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch groups down to 1/2" or clover leafs and once you move that into the field at say crows at 1-300yards you can't measure them cause they go pooofff and the prairie dogs go POP!!! As far as bbl's fitting best is... lots don't need any fitting but some may need some fitting. I think I was at like 7 barrels bought used before I got 2 that needed some work there are no guarantees a few guys here have found that certain year class bbl's fit certain yr guns they have but I've not done that yet. I am a hunter and I am very comfortable going from the bench to the field with all my H&R's. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline TLARbb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Re: New Handi questions...
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 01:59:28 PM »
Well, I didn't set up and shoot this afternoon because I got worried that the neighbors would be a little miffed by all the racket on Sunday afternoon, so I'll hit the range next weekend.  I'll let you know how she does.

Since it is quite a ways to the range from here, I'm taking some other rifles with me too.  Remington .25-06 with Classic stock, .243 CDL (also unfired) and CZ 452 in .22 mag. :D

EJ