Author Topic: Wheeled field Artillery.  (Read 906 times)

Offline phalanx

• Trade Count: (0)
Wheeled field Artillery.
« on: January 04, 2008, 02:25:48 PM »
Very few post on this except Mortars. For us land lubbers,wheeled guns are the Gun of choice.
Least we forget the Parrot ,the Napoleon, and the ultimate development of the Ordnance rifle.
Their spin offs ,due to the rough terrain of the Rockies during the westward migration,and the Indian Wars.
Where a Howitzer ,became a Pack weapon,disassembled and packed on mules to get it to a location.
A Napoleon,became a gun nicknamed a Talladega.
Number 1,2,and 3 carriages were modified ,fitted ,with what ever tube was available.
And the Ordnance rifle,used so effectively at the end of the Civil War,had to be drug up during the Spanish ,,American war.
Then again in the trenches of France in WW1.
It is why you see few of them as originals.
But she served this country well for 50 years ,and When Roosevelt in the Spanish ,,American war came up on the Spanish with trap door Springfield's against the Spanish using 7x57 Mousers ,only the 1861 Ordnance Rifle saved their cookies.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Re: Wheeled field Artillery.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 11:42:36 PM »
"But she served this country well for 50 years ,and When Roosevelt in the Spanish ,,American war came up on the Spanish with trap door Springfield's against the Spanish using 7x57 Mousers ,only the 1861 Ordnance Rifle saved their cookies."

Well, they did also have that dynamite gun (When it was working and they could find the ammo for it).
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline lance

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 06:12:41 AM »
 phalanx,since this topic has a mention of a mule pack.............this magazine came the other day, it has a neat pic of a howitzer and original mule pack. Just thought i'd share it. you should be able to double click and then zoom in on this picture: you'll have to be logged in to see the pic.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline phalanx

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 07:26:06 AM »
lance that thing is original ,i have never seen a real one before. I have old photos of these poor little mules ,loaded down with everything needed to use the gun including the Limber.
It took about 10 of them , to carry it all ,plus a couple of spare animals in case one died !
Have any of you guys ever been to Arlington National Cemetery ?  They have some of the nicest 1861s you could ever imagine.
They wouldn't let me touch them ,but i couldn't tell if they were reproductions or the real thing ,anybody know ?
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline lance

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 08:29:34 AM »
phalanx, glad you like the picture, i hope you can also read the neat bit of history included in the pic. that's the only way i know how to post pics,guest can't see them. I live in Virginia, so i get to see lot's of cannons, sometimes can't remember real vs repo, so someone else will have to comment on Arlington. Heres another pic, this is me at VMI, with the original and real wheeled guns that Stonewall started with, he felt they were too small and sent them back to school ;D..... i mean VMI

Offline phalanx

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 08:43:49 AM »
To small ,i will take them off your hands ;D Lance i lived in Norfolk 2 years ( Navy ) so i know about where you are talking about.
Kabar is from Va. also ,i think he is very close to you . Out here cannon is a rare site ,I was pulling the 1861 through Texas once and a state trooper stopped me .I asked him if he needed to see my License and reg. He said no ,he just wanted to see the gun ?
Any of you guys ever had one of your guns somewhere ,and everyone wants to have a photo op with it and the kids ?
Constantine III

Offline lance

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 09:00:42 AM »
phalanx, small world ;D ;D ;D, i was born in Texas, but now live in Virginia. Tim[CW] lives 42 miles from me, or the next county over.  sometimes Tim and i get together for shoots, if kabar2 is kinda close? he like everyone else is always welcome. phalanx, you're welcome too, but Texas is a mite far way!

Offline phalanx

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 09:24:40 AM »
Naw ,we have kin out there in Va.and NC. Kabar is wanting to come out here for vacation,shoot some smoke ,and slap me for being stupid. He makes some real nice Mortars ,see if he will send you pics. A lot of guys from that site we go to are moving out here from the east and west. They are sick of the big cities ,its nice to have them around ,and a few are getting bit by the cannon bug. Last summer we found what was left of a gun  ,or the carriage, in a stream bed ,near Capitan ,mired in mud ,it looked like a #3 or something,of course no tube .It was very rotten ,but that was a shock to find that . We also found some graves from the Civil War way up in the hills ,a lot of skirmishes happened up there.It was sort of sad , I want to take kabar up there if he comes out ,it was amazing the world hadn't found those  ,good thing.
Constantine III

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 10:08:46 AM »
Well, phalanx, I gots me some wheeled artillery. It ain't big or fancy, but it's been responsible for many a smile 'round here (and a few winces).

It's based on a purchased quarter-scale 12-pounder 1857 Napoleon barrel. All of the woodwork ('cept for the Amish-made wheels) and all of metalwork are mine. I also made all of the implements.

I fire a 500 grain Fg salute, or live charge of 250 grains of Fg behind a 1.125" diameter ball that weighs 4¾ ounces cast from wheelweights or 5 ounces cast from pure lead.

Click for salute video:

Offline phalanx

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 11:17:26 AM »
Terry, that is a nice piece : Remember ,no gun is a little gun at least you have a gun ;D
Lots of talk about the 50BMGs ,well your guns bigger than that .
I love the carriage ,the lighter woods are a lot easier to care for and they contrast better.
Having a big gun isn't all its cracked up to be ,all the physics change,the money goes up.
You are not going to move them alone much less fire them, and they cant come through the door for display in the Den.
They like a special diet , not some golf ball or soda can in some cases.
You fire blanks you better be away from the house unless you want to replace windows.
To fire one is an all day affair ,sandwiches,cokes,water buckets ,tie downs ,tarps ,and some gojo hand cleaner for sure.
Coming home ,you are out there 2 more hours with a water hose stuffed up the barrel with soap and water cleaning ,drying ,then using motor oil in it.
Hay i am not complaining ,but me and the wife want something like you have just for giggles .
Out here they have these pits ,they mine rocks out of them for the roads . they are in the middle of no where ,50 ft deep ,60 yards across ,and sometimes 600 yards long ,they are great for this.
Terry ,that is a nice gun , you own a tube ,so many of our brothers are tubeless and would love to have that ,she is a blond beauty.
Just a suggestion ,a little more make up for my taste ,some chains painted flat black on her sides would finish her off nicely.
Constantine III

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 01:01:59 PM »
I've always meant to add a few more bits here and there.

But then I got busy on the golfball mortar ...

And then the quarter-scale mortar ...

And then...

BTW: The mortar barrels I made myself. Our lathe can only bore about a foot deep, so it couldn't handle a very big cannon, but it does just fine on mortars.

Offline phalanx

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 06:49:14 PM »
 Well i have been waiting till some good folks i know in Denver start making some field stuff.
Lets see ,a good name !! Rocky Mountain Cannon works,,,sort of rolls off your tongue ,don't it.
And they are some good folks ,if they do ,They will be making a heap of some fine guns.
And i can roll right in there and pick it up myself,and have a cup of Joe ,with the guys who built my gun.
Fair enough ,a feller cant ask for a deal better than that.
Constantine III