Author Topic: knight Bighorn barrel work  (Read 1404 times)

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
knight Bighorn barrel work
« on: November 24, 2007, 03:35:14 AM »
I got a good deal on a knight Bighorn and i want to get the barrel cut down to around 17 inches and put a 2-7x33 scope on it. What do you guys think? My gunsmith said that he isn't up to doing the job because he is flooded with work. Who would be a good gunsmith in the SC, and NC area or someone I can ship it to if you know of a good one in another state?
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Re: knight Bighorn barrel work
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 02:27:34 PM »
First, why cut it to 17"?  Just curious.  Wayne York of Oregunsmithing in Oregon is highly recommended on this site.  I've discussed several projects with him, and will have him complete any work I need done.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 03:16:51 PM »
Well were I hunt I like them to have short barrels. I don't need 26inch barrels. I already have one and well I just want to. My furthest shot is 50 yards and I have longer shots but thats for my other guns.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline encore58

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 03:23:05 PM »
I like carbine or short barrels too.
Release the hounds!

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 03:27:03 PM »
I wish most of my rifles had short barrels.

Rick

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 03:27:40 PM »
I decided not to get it cut down though.

Rick

Offline encore58

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 03:31:50 PM »
Used to own a TC Buckeye Hunter (250 run) and had SN 123. It has a barrel not much over 16 inches if I remember right. Remember the old TC Cherokee ML rifles? They were sweet too.
Release the hounds!

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 03:46:11 PM »
Sure do. I have always liked short rifles. They make great hog guns and really good for ground blind hunting.

Rick

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 05:23:53 AM »
Green Mountain Barrels is coming out with a limited edition .54 on the Disc Extreme platform, with a green laminated stock and a 20" fluted barrel.  It looks SWEET.  Prices will be $399 for stainless, available early this year, and $379 for matte blue, which will be later this year.  I plan on getting both of them, with matching serial #'s.  I can't imagine a better in-line ML for big game (bigger than deer) at moderate ranges, whether in the woods or the plains.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 06:08:54 AM »
I heard about it the other day at bass pro. I hope I can order one.

Rick

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 08:02:48 AM »
You can order them direct from Grn Mtn.  I already talked to them about it.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 08:44:13 AM »
Thanks. Ill have to do that.

Rick

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 09:02:09 AM »
Green Mountain Limited Edition .54-120.

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/fieldtests3.html
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 09:56:38 AM »
Oh yeah, that's the same place I read about it.  Ain't it a great looking rifle?

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 09:58:53 AM »
Sure is.

Rick