Author Topic: Modifying my Rossi  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Uncle Ji

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM EST
    • Hawaiian Style
Modifying my Rossi
« on: January 05, 2008, 07:48:40 AM »
My favorite truck gun for a few years has been my Rossi R357S stainless steel single shot.
Recently I had the barrel shortened to 16.25" with new front sight installed in new dovetail.  The old front sight was a el cheapo screw-in job but too low for new rear sight.  I installed the front sight from a 94AE which was higher to match a new Williams WGRS peep sight which replaces the crappy plastic factory sight.
I also stripped black paint off stock and stained with Watco Oil Dark Walnut stain the first several coats then finished with hand rubbed Hawaiian Kukui Nut Oil.  The forestock had very nice grain which the camera can't do justice to but you get the idea.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

FORESTOCK:

New Williams WGRS Rear Peep:

New Front Sight from Winchester 94AE:

This is how they look together:

The Finished Product:

A few notes:  Williams does not make sights specifically for the Rossi single shots but the WGRS-T/C sight made for the T/C Contender fits PERFECTLY.  Kukui nut (candle nut) oil is locally available and comperable to boiled linseed being used by Hawaiians to preserve wood for over 1000 years, more pricey than linseed but I had some, don't need much, and it made my "Hawaiian Trapper" that much more personalized.  As far as legalities (Federal) of cutting barrel and total size of rifle, the barrel cannot be less than 16" and total length of rifle cannot be less than  26" overall.  My barrel is 16.25" and total length is 32.5 so safe on both counts.   (Thank you A.K. Church for your informative web article http://www.milesfortis.us/church/akc02.htm)
I'm totally ecstactic with the finished product, even nicer than I expected, can't wait to get her to the range! 

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Modifying my Rossi
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:38:11 PM »
Very nicely done.  You took a plane Jane and made her the bell of the ball.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC