Author Topic: WHERE TO MOUNT SIGHTS  (Read 463 times)

Offline montveil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
WHERE TO MOUNT SIGHTS
« on: January 05, 2008, 06:45:28 AM »
My question is where to mount open sights on a rifle.
Is there a recommended distance from the eye to the rear to front sight for non peep sights?
All assuming that the sight could be mounted anywhere along the barrel

Thanks
MONTVEIL IN THE NC MOUNTAINS

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: WHERE TO MOUNT SIGHTS
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 07:02:53 AM »
Your age will help dictate how far down the barrel to put the rear sight, for me, anything but a Kentucky long rifle has too short of barrel for iron sights other than a peep!! :o ::) :D I've always wanted to have the longest sight radius or distance between the front and rear sight, possible, and still be able to see the sights well.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 10:35:35 AM »
It's generally a style thing, and rear sight position is proportional to to barrel length.

The front sight ramp's leading/forward edge should be held back abut 1/4" from the muzzle end of the barrel. If the front sight's dovetailed directly in the barrel, the dovetail should be further back - almost an inch from the muzzle to the dovetail's front edge.

The rear sight should generally be located about 1/4 of the way towards the muzzle, from the receiver's leading edge, give/take.  Tape it on, after the front's installed, and a position will suddenly "look right" to you, when view from the side.  A sight, down the barrel, using the sights in the position you've selected, should tell you right from wrong.

Use Brownell's Sight Height Calculator to arrive at the correct sight blade heights - which may change as you move the rear forward and back, due to barrel contour.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/sight.aspx
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline montveil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 06:48:27 AM »
Thanks for the info..
I was curious if there was some formula that I didn't run across.
I will try to play with the sight position where my aging eyes can deal.

MONTVEIL IN THE NC MOUNTAINS