Author Topic: warped mold?  (Read 421 times)

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
warped mold?
« on: January 09, 2008, 09:45:13 AM »
question for you guys...i have a mold i aquired from graybeard, real nice mold.  anyhow...this thing has dropped very nice bullets from day one.   last week, i was casting up a bunch of 44 bullets gearing up for the warm weather.  somewhere around bullet 700, my bullets started dropping out a bit bigger in diameter than before.  so i stopped casting,  let the mold cool for the day and cleaned it up.  when i put the mold together and hold it up to the light,  i can see hairline daylight through the seams,  and my other molds i cant.  what are the odds that the mold warped?  it is an aluminum mold from veral, and is my favorite mold.  i cant figure nothing else out.  ideas? suggestions?  thanks one and all for the advise in advance. 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: warped mold?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 12:43:44 AM »
i doubt if it has warped. Ive yet to see a mold actually warp and  i stick them right in the pot to heat them up. I would guess it could be one of a few things. You may have a lead spater on the face of your mold block sometimes on alum molds a tiny spatter is tough to see. Check that first. then i would look at your alignment pins and check to see if you possible have some lead keeping them from matting properly of if you possibly gouged the surfaces bad enough that they wont close properly. Could be too that if they look fine the alignment pins backed out a tad to far and need to be tapped back in a smidge. Ive even seen aluminum molds that didnt want to close properly staighten out just by lubing the pins. If none of these suggestions do it box it up and send it back to veral and have him fix it. I wish i would have done that with a few of mine that i just let go to far and had to junk them.
blue lives matter

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 03:09:18 AM »
i have cleaned the hell out of it with a tooth brush and cant see anything on it, i gently tapped the alignment pins in a tad, it opens a bit easier now, and the light i can see through it isnt much, but it is there.   i just dont want to damage the mold at all; as it is my favorite mold.   after using veral's mold, it is hard to use anything else.  lol.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 04:19:39 AM »
Ask Veral for his advice before proceding further. He might can tell you what to do at home with it or he might ask you to return it to him to fix.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 06:50:57 AM »
will do.