Author Topic: Remington spr 18 new ? weaver base  (Read 939 times)

Offline 3006bluffhunter

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Contributor
Remington spr 18 new ? weaver base
« on: January 09, 2008, 02:40:10 AM »
Has anyone ever tried to mill down the top of the Barrel  and add a weaver style base! If so I would like to know how that worked! A picture would help! I am looking at a used spr 18 in 30-06 ! The guy said it shot well just looks a little funky on that 11mm factory barrel scope rail! looks like scope ring bite marks! :o I know it might decrease the resale value but i bet it would be a good scope foundation with a weaver rail on! Thanks Dale

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Remington spr 18 new ? weaver base
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 02:42:25 PM »
i had a smith take a weaver base and mill out the underside to slip over the weird dovetail mount the spr has and then tap holes in the the flat part on top of the scope mount on the rifle to correspond with the holes in the mount.milling the mount is much easier than tearing down the rifle to mess with it, and not to mention the mounts are alum and easy to work with. the rifle was basically unchanged except for the threaded holes in it.ive sold the rifle but still have the mount, if your interested i could maybe hunt it up and send a pic or two to ya.

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 03:05:02 PM »
I have thought about it. I have a post somewhere with a drawing I made on the Paint on the computer. Its not good but its better than nothing. Its either in the Rem forums or here.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 03:08:33 PM »
Check out this before you change it http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0018878711575a.shtml
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick