Author Topic: The Definitive "New to Reloading" Thread  (Read 49146 times)

Offline SharonAnne

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: The Definitive "New to Reloading" Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2008, 12:32:27 PM »
when it comes to 'maximum' loads, I take several manuals, then take the lowest 'maximum' load as my max load. This should cover any variation in testing methods and testing equipment variables.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline jbquack1

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2009, 01:39:10 PM »
I bought a RCBS rockchucker supreme set about 6 months back, but I got so busy with work and what not I never got the chance to actually "learn" how to reload lol.

Its still sitting in my apartment and now I am looking for a local instructor just so he can show me some dos and donts.  Btw Im from the Sterling Heights Michigan area
You may want to check with the NRA as there are instructors that teach a course in reloading as well as other disciplines.jim

Offline hrminer92

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2009, 03:51:42 PM »
What is a good container for storing primers?

Would a Sentry "fire box" type container be ok if it wasn't latched?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2009, 06:23:09 PM »
Store them as you buy them. The packages they come in all are you need. Mine are still in orginal package and in wood cabinets.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline hrminer92

« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2009, 06:16:29 PM »
I know about keeping them in the same packaging...it says so multiple times on the box...but I was curious what people put those packages in.  I was thinking the Sentry boxes for some additional insulation and by keeping it unlatched, if there ever was a fire hot enough to set them off, the box wouldn't blow up.

Right now, I have them in the cabinet above the fridge and the powder bottles in the veggie crisper.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2009, 07:09:52 PM »
I don't think that's too smart of a plan having the powder in the fridge. I'd say that's a sure fire receipe for ruined powder. Too much moisture in there and the cold makes things sweat. Bad move in my opinion. Keep them in a wooden cabinet the thicker the wood the better. If that fridge was a non working one it would do OK also but not one that is working.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline hrminer92

« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2009, 10:24:35 PM »
dang it...I hope I didn't screw up a couple bottles.  Hopefully I didn't since they hadn't been opened yet.

This is where I originally got the idea to put it in the crisper

http://www.castbullet.com/reload/wc820.htm

Oh well...looks like another cabinet for the powder until I move someplace with a workshop.   :-[

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2009, 03:30:40 AM »
He's welcome to do as he pleases as are you but from experience I know that things in refrigerators sweat badly and unless you have a vacuum seal air can leak in. Have you ever noticed how things sweat when taken from a really cold area and warmed slowly? Any unsealed and by that I mean vacuum sealed container can sweat.

A cool but not cold dark place that remains at a relatively stable temperature is best in my opinion for whatever that's worth. Inside a centrally heated/cooled house in a dark wood cabinet is to my thinking as good as it gets. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  ;D

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2009, 06:12:56 AM »
"That's my story and I'm sticking to it."

ME TOO.

ORIGINAL CONTAINERS AND IN WOOD CABINETS WITH DOORS THAT ARE NOT LOCKED SO AS TO RELEASE PRESSURE DURING AN EXPLOSION.

ALSO KEEP A FIRE EXTINGUISHER (OR TWO) CLOSE BY AND PROMINANTLY DISPLAYED.

HTH

FRED
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline hrminer92

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2009, 05:22:41 PM »
Have you ever noticed how things sweat when taken from a really cold area and warmed slowly?
I've always figured that was condensation of water vapor in the surrounding air.

Offline Emmett

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2009, 04:53:16 PM »
    Primers....I recently stumbled across some OLD 7 1/2 and 9 1/2 Rem. primers I hid from myself years ago. They have to be over 30 yrs. old. I said to myself..."Well, let's give them a try." They looked perfect, and guess what... they shoot just fine. No problems whatsoever. Wonder if I could sell the empty boxes to a collector..Hah...

Offline renegade50

« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2009, 09:18:03 AM »
im a aspiring wantabe newb to center fire reloading myself  ;D
made a thread about the lee loader
any help or experience would be great guys
gonna go to hastings and borders and look for some reloading manuels in addition to all the info from major reloading companys on the interenet
work harder, millions of obama,s voters on welfare depend on you.

dead, down and on the ground.

Offline av-doctor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2009, 11:49:46 AM »
modern propellants burn they don't explode ,now black powder is a different story

Offline possum6

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2009, 01:52:11 PM »
Someone say it was easy ?
I believe everything that happen's, or will happen,was created, or created in the future, GOD knew and created from the very beginning of the foundation of the universe.       Dale

Offline deadeyejedi

« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2010, 05:47:13 PM »
ive been reloading for several years now and have yet to match the consistancy or accuracy of factory ammo. needless to say it takes lots of patience

Offline TexanToTheCore

« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2011, 03:58:59 AM »
I started out with the Lee Challenger Anniversay Kit and I see that they have improved it with their breechlock system. Many, many reloaders have started out with the kit and still use it years later. I still use most of the tools that came with the original kit: It was one of the the best investments I have ever made, years of fun.
If you don't have a place to mount it on a bench, I have found that the utility room is a good spot.
If you don't want to go to the trouble of mounting a press:
Lee Breech Lock Hand Press. This is a hand press that you use without mounting. My second press, this is the equipment that really taught me how to reload better than most reloaders. You can feel everything that is happening in the cartidge and it is easy to use. It will fit in a field bag with dies too, so you don't have to quit when you run out of ammo (always happens to me), just keep reloading.
Lee Classic Loader: My favorite equipment and the one that I use the most. It fits in your back pocket or field bag with the addition of a hammer (12 oz at home, RCBS 4 oz in the field). Or you can use a branch, a stone, the jack from your car or truck, tire iron, anything that is heavy. It consistently produces ammo that is competition quality. There are a lot of good shooters who use this equipment as their main reloading machinery. I can currently produce a round in about 25 seconds so it is not slow as some claim. The rounds produced will work well in a single shot rifle, but because they are neck sized only, don't work as well in a sem-auto as the cartridge needs to be resized to standard specs. Currently selling for about 24.99, btw.
I found, when I started out reloading, that it is far easier than I expected. Dirt simple. A lot of research on the internet can make it sound much more complicated that it really is. Just read the instructions and follow them to the letter and you will have better ammo than you can buy. Using the Lee Classic Loader, I have put ten rounds of 45-70 through a single hole at 100 yards, which simply won't happen with factory loads.
I paid back my intial equipment cost on the 111th round, day one. At current ammo prices, the payback would be 80 rounds or so. My cost for a reloaded 45-70 round is about 14 cents per round rather than 2.00 per round factory loads.
I would start out with the Lee Challenger anniverdary set as that will teach you the craft and then go to a bigger press or do as I have done, go to a smaller outfit.

Offline jimneye

« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2011, 02:07:06 AM »
I have a question how important is it to follow the component list exactly? Meaning I know to follow the min and max charges of a specific powder and bullet weight but what about the primer and case make? ie rem case instead of win or win primer in stead of cci.

Offline av-doctor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2011, 01:52:48 AM »
general rule is, anytime you change a component you have to start over and work up.