Author Topic: bullets being pushed into the cartridge (winnie 94 big bore in .444)  (Read 869 times)

Offline deerhunter1981

• Trade Count: (0)
Bought a brand new Winchester 94 Big Bore in .444 not too long ago. The first time I loaded it, I noticed that the bullets got pushed (about 3-5 mm) into the cartridge. Although being aware that it might increase the pressure and extend the amount of free-flight before reaching the rifles, I shot about 12 rounds with it. Nothing to complain about the accuracy; on a apprx 70 meters range, three shot series produced 1.5" groups with standard iron-sights. However, thinking about it, is there a possibility that firing those round could damage the gun in any way? For example the potential high pressure? Does anyone have any knowledge/experiences with this? The ammo was the standard 240grain Remington express ones.

And about the bullets being pushed in; the loading port seemed a bit tight, so that could be the reason(?) Or is the Remington ammo prone to this? I oiled the loading port a bit, and that seemed to help, but it still seems a bit tight. The magazine spring seems ok... Does this seem familiar to anyone? Hope I can just "break it in".

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated!

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: bullets being pushed into the cartridge (winnie 94 big bore in .444)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 03:37:59 AM »
I doubt you will get much different ideas here from those you got on the Leverguns fourm.  Most of the folks that have Winchester lever guns read that one as well as this one.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline deerhunter1981

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 06:19:45 AM »
ok. I just signed up for this forum, so I'm not all that familiar with how things work. nice forum though, one of the better ones for sure

Offline gwindrider1

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 03:38:01 AM »
Get yourself a Lee Factory crimp die, and put an extra tight crimp on those cartridges, if you reload, that is!  Best of luck! ;D ;D ;D

Offline Sharps-Nut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 11:41:37 PM »
Crimping groove.  I helped a friend reload for a 444.  He was just starting and that was his deer gun.  We loaded several and crimped with a normal rcbs three die set on the crimping groove no problems.  The 265 grain hornady flat point is the bullet for that gun..  It was designed to handle the high velocity of the 444 and muchroom back not blow up, where most 44 bullets were set up for 44 mag velocities.  You most likely know this but offered just the same either way.  Good luck,  SN

Offline deerhunter1981

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 09:33:43 AM »
Sounds good, considering I Just bought a complete RCBS reloading kit, those bullets (hornady's 265grain), some brass and the die set for the occasion. Can't wait to get into it and see how the rifle goes with a 1.5 - 6 Shirstone scope. Should be the perfect deer rifle for my use  :) Just need to learn how to reload, got some great books on the subject though,

Offline Sharps-Nut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 08:19:02 AM »
Read your die set up instructions and adjust them accordingly.  You are starting out with a good round, follow your manual to the letter, start at bottom load and work up.  Watch overall load cartridge lenth so it will feed.  Be sure and lube your cases before sizing so you don't get it stuck in the die.   Never substitute powders, if is not in a book don't do it.  Rifles are very safe as doble charges are typically not possible.  Pistol rounds with fast burning economical target loads double or triple in some cases are possible and potentially deadly.   Another thing don't handle primers if you have lube on your fingers it can foul the primer.  Heck I could go on but its a safe and fun hobby that more shooters should indulge.  SN

Offline BoarHunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 09:45:47 PM »
Factory Rem 444M are known to set back under recoil or cycling in the 94 ! Besides they are too light and expand too much.

Best advice is you start to reload your own, Hornady die, LEE crimp die, 265GR Horandy bullet on top of N130 powder (see reload manual). Furthemore, the powder charge is compressed so no way the bullet will set back.
Been using this load for 7 years and many deers and wilds boar didn't appreciate it.
A good bullet too is the 250GR Nosler partition.