Author Topic: No more Sweet Sixteens  (Read 868 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
No more Sweet Sixteens
« on: January 05, 2008, 05:51:48 AM »
Checked out the PDF of the new 2008 catalog.  No 16's in there.  They have been discontinued, evidently.  That's too bad.  A 16 hasn't been on the PRIORITY LIST but it has been on the list of future purchases.  Hopefully I will be able to find one when I have the cash.

I also think it would have been nice to see the new combo's with rifle sights.  Tracker barrels/44Mag-357Mag barrels.   ???

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
Re: No more Sweet Sixteens
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 07:50:59 AM »
Cookiemann.
The reason why you don't have a 16 is also the reason why they are discontinued. There is simply no market for the16. Browning a few years ago
came out with a 16 O/U Citory it too died of a valiant death.

I know of one guy that bought one just to be different he did not break anymore targets or dropped more pheasants than I did with the 20.

Selection of loaded shells in 16 is also very limited, even handloading components are scares. Many of the Eurpean double and drilling makers make them only available on special order with a no return policy. The 12 is #1 and the 20 is #2. There is nothing a 16 can do that you can't do with a 20.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 08:19:10 AM »
Yeah, I suppose you are right about the demand and the lack of selection for shell.  My Dad had one in a bolt gun, years ago and I may still end up with one in the safe.  Just sad to see one of the old models end up by the wayside.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 10:59:19 AM »
Oh no, say is isn't so. The 16 has always been the true and traditional upland field gun. I have 3 and they are great. I will have to look quickly for my next 16 gauge acquisition, a 16 gauge Modified or IC choked barrel for a Handi or a complete H&R/NEF in that gauge and choke....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 11:22:47 AM »
Just sad to see one of the old models end up by the wayside.

cookie

I agree.  I've always been a bit sentimental toward the 16 ga.  Partly because I began hunting with an old 16 ga. Stevens single shot that had a Four-Tenner inserted, then eventually grew into the 16 and partly because having used one for many years, hated to see it fade away. 

Recently, when the 16 began re-appearing, I made sure I grabbed a few.  I really wanted to see it find its place, but in the back of my mind, I suspected it was the firearms manufacturers effort of trying to ride a little of the nostalgia craze and/or find a new market.

I still use the 16 today.  If not for the cost of the shells, I would probably use it exclusively for upland hunting.

I may order one another this week, just because. 

As a tribute, though I might include this photo. 

From top:

Rem Express Synthetic.  Still NIB
Winchester Mod 37 Steelbuilt
NEF Pardner
Mossberg 500
Mossberg 390 KB bolt action
JC Higgins bolt action
Rem 870 Express wood
Stevens Mod 77

:'(

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 11:59:29 AM »
now that makes me misty, all those beautiful and well kept classic 16's....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 12:39:08 PM »
Are those C Lect Chokes on those 2 Mossy's. :D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline buffermop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 01:27:07 PM »
That's too bad. The 16 is a nice, not too much recoil gun.  Shot my first deer with a Browning"sweet sixteen". Sorry I ever sold it. Belgian made.

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 11:41:23 PM »
now that makes me misty, all those beautiful and well kept classic 16's....<><....:)

Thanks Andy.  I was thinking last evening that until now, it seems the 16 has always been available in the H&R/NEF, including the old company.  Even before the recent renewed interest.

Cookieman:  They sure are.   ;D

Buffermop:  I've seen a couple 16 and 12 ga. Belgian Browning's over the past few years. Unfortunately, many had Poly Chokes installed. That seemed to be a popular accessory back in the day. 

:)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 03:31:46 AM »
16 ga barrels are still available through the barrels accessory program.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 03:51:05 AM »
I think I'm gonna send a receiver off Monday to have one fit. it's the only guage I don't have (from H&R) and one I have wanted for years.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun