Author Topic: Stock bolt and pop-open?  (Read 321 times)

Offline burch

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Stock bolt and pop-open?
« on: January 12, 2008, 07:54:24 AM »
Can anyone tell me what size the stock bolt in a model 088 12Ga. is ?  I have one that pops open when fired and was going to take it apart and sell the parts off of it. I figured I just toss the reciever in the trash.

Burch

God bless the fine men and women of our military

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Stock bolt and pop-open?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 10:38:26 AM »
burch, that is a terrible thing to do to that gun when with a little cleaning and adjusting it should be fine and stay closed when shot, even if does pop open it is safe, it opens AFTER firing. All you need to know about correcting that MINOR problem is in the FAQ's. If you don't want to look through them just ask and I am sure someone here will walk you through a tutorial....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 06:03:31 PM »
MSP is right.  Don't be too hasty about pitching that receiver.  The action popping open can be remedied.  But if you decide you don't want to deal with it I will gladly pick up the cost of having it shipped to my FFL. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 06:04:24 PM »
I have had a couple of mine pop open.  The big thing is to keep the latch and engaging parts clean and NOT oiled, but dry.  I have thrown a couple of the alcohol prep packets in my shooting bag.  If the problem happens while shooting, I just wipe off the parts and no more problem.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline Alice Cooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 06:19:11 PM »
I have a topper to work on  for a buddy (hammer spring broke) and it pops open every shot. I told him I could fix that, but he WANTS it to pop open!he's had it for 40 + years, and it always did that, he can really shoot fast with it.wouldn't have it any other way.
don't fry bacon naked!