Author Topic: Scope mounting question  (Read 541 times)

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
Scope mounting question
« on: August 13, 2008, 07:59:31 AM »
I have a Browning BLR in 7mm-08 that I would like to mount a scope on. I bought Weaver rings and mounts. I do not have any tools for the job so I called a local gunsmith. He said they mount and bore sight for $35. I asked if they lap the rings and he said, "no it doesn't need it". He felt that only tactical rigs, long range or heavy recoiling grigs need to be lapped for more contact area. What are everyone's thoughts on "lapping rings" topic?

Thank you!!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline KRP

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Scope mounting question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 11:22:03 AM »
It will help prevent ring marks and deformation/binding of the scope tube.  $35 will buy you the tools to lap them yourself.  It isn't hard to mount and bore sight a scope.

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 12:39:30 PM »
Since you have Weaver bases you can use Burris Signature Zee rings. They have a plastic insert in the rings that protects your scope.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 01:48:18 PM »
I tend to agree with your gunsmith.  No reason for the average guy.  However, he isn't much of a business man.  A customer wants his rings lapped, then l'd lap them, take them money and say "Thank you sir, is there any thing else I can do for you today"?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 02:53:32 PM »
Some smiths say that a scope will slip in lapped rings more easily than non lapped rings.  Personally, I don't have an opinion except to say that I have never lapped a set of rings.  I can't see how it would hurt anything, and maybe it can help.  Go ahead.  Cost is reasonable.  Biggest cost in scope correction issues is time and ammo.