Author Topic: groundhog vs trackerII/dixie slug  (Read 921 times)

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
groundhog vs trackerII/dixie slug
« on: April 19, 2008, 03:45:53 PM »
Groundhog lost ;D Big time
I was told by a friends son they were seeing some groundhogs on a farm he works on so I made my first hunt this year was going to take the 17 hmr but on a whim grabbed my tracker and some of my dixie slug loads one stood up to look at what was moving around  I laid him back down ;D  40 yards  I don't think he even twitched
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Contributor
Re: groundhog vs trackerII/dixie slug
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 03:56:00 PM »
You goin waste alot of meat like that , but I guess thats one less g'hog

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 03:57:29 PM »
Roy
what would you use for Elephant LOL
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 04:09:11 PM »
Hey If you can hit a groundhog you can hit a deer   ;D seriously I have always use my deer gun  on groundhog it is good practice
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 02:10:08 AM »
Roy that is an excellent point, you get real "in field practice" at about the right range, a smaller more challenging target, and you are using a round that will more than humanely dispatch the critter. I have always used a .22 mag. but, I just purchased a 20 GA Ultra Slug. I think some practice in the field is forthcoming. JamesIII

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 02:53:37 AM »
Well I have been known to use a 35Whelen on whistle pigs (groundhogs)
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 03:25:57 AM »
300 gr seirra h.p. @ 1900 fps out of my 45/70 is effective on groundhog ;D
Roy

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 03:47:28 AM »
plumberroy, were you able to recover the Dixie Slug from the groundhog? I am interested in any expansion, also if it was able to hold together enough at the velocity it was going to get enough penetration to reach the vitals...Thanks.
I myself like Dixie Slugs and have shot them, but I am interested in how they have performed in "real world" situations such as yours on dangerous game....<><.... ;)

;D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 04:07:41 AM »
those things  go through a 4x6 and deep enough in the ground behind it  at the range  that  i could not dig them out with a stick I don't think  that groundhog  even  slowed it down much   did slow the groundhog down quite a bit though ;D
Roy

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 05:45:54 AM »
 ;D, Thanks for the fine report buddy. I would be interested in your reflections on any groundhogs you get to harvest or protect yourself from using the Dixie Tri-ball loads. I have made up a nice short appx 18" barrelled 12 gauge smoothbore barrel with adjustable rifle sights for my H&R frames and I am thinking of using it with Dixie Tri-ball loads for close (40 yards and under) deer hunting I Maine. In the thiick "greengrowth" and swampy areas I usually hunt you cannot see that far anyway, usually well under 20 yards. I also think this short smoothbore barrel with the Tri-ball loads or slugs would make a fine hog gun...<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 07:04:11 AM »
 I am shooting a 20 and loading the slugs myself with a lot of good imfo from James Gates of dixie slugs he hasn't released the  20 ga triball yet and they are not legal for deer here so I don't see me working much with them.  From my Experiance I believe if James tells you something you can take it to the bank J.M.H.O.
Roy

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 10:10:20 AM »
I agree Roy, he is a knowledgeable and generous person, a true gentleman of his word....<><....:)

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 05:44:37 PM »
Glad to here your report Roy . Are you still loading them down under 1200? Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 06:06:56 PM »
Glad to here your report Roy . Are you still loading them down under 1200? Kurt
Last 5 I chrono'ed averaged 1196 1 at 1186 1at 1206 other three in the1190's around 2" groups at 50 yards w iron sights 1200 was my target speed when I started
I'm going to have to order some more slugs soon I've got 10 loaded and 5 left
Roy