Author Topic: Cannon barrel defects  (Read 459 times)

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Cannon barrel defects
« on: January 13, 2008, 07:46:14 PM »
While this link discusses modern guns, it is still interesting.

Cannon Barrel Inspection
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Re: Cannon barrel defects
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 10:45:50 PM »
 Hmmm... If I'm reading it right, they allow some types of cracks, and monitor them to make sure they don't get worse. I hope they keep good maintenance records.

The inspections in the field are just visual. Hard to do inside of a tube with a flashlight. I'd think that they would have a field kit to do dye penetrant inspection or other simple form of non-destructive testing to get a better idea of how long the cracks actually are (Or if defects found are really cracks at all).
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline phalanx

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Cannon barrel defects
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 06:00:32 AM »
There is a method out here used by a company called Vetco ,its used to inspect high pressure pipe ,and casing.
It uses some sort of magnetic principal .
The whole thing is mounted on a truck making it mobile.
One of their guys used it on my tubes once, and he found nothing ,but it was used on a 3/4 scale tube belonging to another guy, and they found laws in the casting.
The 1/2 in .liner was OK though ,and he had fired the gun a lot ,so i guess he just left it alone.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III