Author Topic: What do I need to get started  (Read 454 times)

Offline 38MAN

• Trade Count: (0)
What do I need to get started
« on: January 12, 2008, 10:09:28 AM »
Thinking about starting to cast my own bullets. I have been reloading on and off for about 20 years. Most of my reloads are .38, .357 and .223. What do I need to get started? Is it safe (lead exposure) and will I be able to get the raw materials I need (EPA)? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline Castaway

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What do I need to get started
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 10:55:47 AM »
Simple, a manual, Lyman makes a god one.  Next you'll need a heat source.  You can either use a pot heated by propane or get an electric pot available from various dealers.  A dipper is next if not using bottom pour electric pot. Needs to be big enough to fill the mould.  If you get a bottom pour electric pot you can do without a dipper.  Next is a mould.  I like Lee moulds, especially the 6 cavity ones for pistols.  If using a bottom pour pot, you can get a good rhythm going with two moulds, filling one, dumping one.  Wheel weights make good bullets as is.  After melting lead, discard iron clips then drop a peas sized piece of candle wax into the melt and stir deeply, throw away that which floats to the top.  Any water that gets in the pot is a BIG DANGER.  It immediately turns to steam and blows molten lead around your face and body.  Next is a way to lube the bullets you made.  Most simple and very effective is Lee Liquid Alox.  Place bullets in a plastic tub, sprinkle on some alox, shake, shake again every 10-12 hours until dry.  Generally, bullets don't need to be sized if shot through a revolver.  Auto-loaders can jam if the bullet is oversized and may need to be sized.  If you feel a need to size, get a Lee sizer for the caliber you want.  Cast in a well ventilated area and enjoy the "free" bullets you just made.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
Re: What do I need to get started
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 04:08:53 PM »
What Castaway wrote +1 (BTW - nice rundown there Castaway!)

Only thing I could add, other than personal opinion, would be your safety gear. Everything is HOT. Do not forget, or you will get a reminder that you won't forget.  I like welders gloves, with the gauntlets. Keeps the spatters off my hands and above the ends of my shirtsleeves. LONG sleeve shirts are a must. I also wear a heavy duty apron, work boots (I've cast in sneakers before - don't like that either) I wear glasses, some guys use goggles or face shields. Protect yourself for the long run. Happy Casting - it is FUN!

FYI - You can also use a melting pot with an electric hotplate, same as you would on a propane or gas stove. Practically any source of heat that you can regulate will work with a cast iron melting pot. I've even used a Coleman stove - worked like a charm.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater