Author Topic: My new 20 ga. slug gun Photo essay & picture heavy  (Read 2064 times)

Offline wink_man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
My new 20 ga. slug gun Photo essay & picture heavy
« on: January 18, 2008, 02:36:59 PM »
A while back, my daughter was pretty busy and asked me to sight in her slug gun for her, a 20 gauge Remington 1100. Having always used 12 gauge slug guns, I was shocked, it was like shooting a cap gun compared to the 12's, and I decided right there and then that I needed a 20 gauge slug gun for myself.

I decided that this gun (whatever it was), was going to be pretty, and a shooter. I had my mind on a Winchester 1300, because I especially like the way the barrel fits into the receiver, and the idea was to have 2 barrels, a smoothbore slug barrel and a fully rifled one, along with accompanying scopes for each, so I figuered the 1300 was ideal, as despite an aluminum receiver, it's drilled and tapped from the factory so I could put weaver bases on it, and after all, weaver rings were the original 'quick remove and return to zero' rings.

So search I begin, and my first find, and the birth of the gun is a piece of wood on Ebay. This piece of wood is advertised as a rough cut stock from the Winchester factory for a 1300, but I am more inclined to believe that it's really for a Winchester 275. Incidentally, a Winchester 275 is a 22 magnum pump manufactured between 1964 to 1973, and they had a deluxe model with some very fancy walnut. The receiver was smaller than a 1300, but because it was a rough cut stock, I figuered I could make it work.

When I got the stock, a 1300 stock bolt wasn't long enough, which confirmed for me that it was for a Winchester 275, and no prob, I could make a stock bolt for it. The stock had promise of being a very nice piece of wood, and since I didn't have the gun yet, I started fitting it to a 12 gauge 1300 because the receiver on a 20 is the identical size.

After about 8 hours of sanding, fitting and prepping the wood for finishing, I start to finish it with tru-oil. I don't remember how many coats later, but I had a stock I was pleased with. the wood was a bit short for the metal overlap at the top of the receiver, but it was workable for me.

All this time I am searching for a gun on the gun auctions, and locally, and cannot find one that has a drilled and tapped receiver in 20 gauge, they are a dime a dozen in 12 gauge, but I cannot find one in 20 gauge. And I don't have the option of buying a new one, because Winchester isn't making them anymore. FINALLY, after about a year of looking, I find a sorry excuse for a 1300 Ranger on Gunbroker, and since it had a drilled & tapped receiver, I rescued the gun from a pawn shop somewhere out in Minneapolis, because the way things were going, I didn't forsee myself finding another one anytime soon and said to myself, I can make this work.

The gun finally arrives at my FFL, and I go pick it up, a sorry excuse indeed for a 1300, LOL, rust on the slug barrel, a remchoke wrench, and a Remington plug for the magazine(which allows 3 shells in a 1300 magazine), just so you know. I stripped it, cleaned it, blued what I had to and now was making headway on my new gun.

Next problem was I needed a forend to match the stock(somewhat anyway), and I want something with no checkering on it and fancy wood. I recall in the back of my head that a gun shop about an hour and a half from me had a Winchester Model 12 forend in a box of junk wood in the corner of the shop, so I take a ride with the pump tube of the 1300. I find it in the shop, unfinished and cracked at the tip, but I have to cut the tip off anyway because a Model 12 forend is longer than a 1300. It looks as though I can modify it to fit the pump tube with a little work, so I procure it for 10 dollars, and I'm on my way home with it.

I fit and finished the Model 12 forend on the pump tube, and then I order the rings, bases, recoil pad, etc. and put the whole thing together. I put a Bushnell Banner 1.5X4.5 scope on it for the smoothbore slug barrel, took it to the range, and it's shooting 3 inch groups at 100 yards with Winchester foster slugs, so I was a happy camper Here is the completed gun.

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 scope in 2X7 power for it also for the fully rifled barrel, but still can't locate a rifled barrel, and Winchester isn't making them anymore, so I keep searching the auctions.

I carried this gun hunting this year, and while I didn't get a shot at a deer, it is such a pleasure to shoot and carry, somehow, I don't see myself carrying a 12 gauge anymore. Just thought I would share.
Garry
'Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun' - Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.

Offline dougk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Driftwood TEXAS
Re: My new 20 ga. slug gun Photo essay & picture heavy
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 04:49:34 PM »
Wink
that is a great story.  And a fantastic looking slug gun.  Thanks for sharing...
Doug

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 04:55:37 PM »
Great job restoring that gun and thanks for the story!

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 06:08:36 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Nice Job!

Offline coyote trapper1928

• Contributor
    • North Country Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 03:26:41 AM »
Was that barrel threaded for choke tubes ?   If it is, you can order a rifled 20 gauge tube from Winchester.
coyote trapper1928

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 05:23:35 AM »
wink_man,

You did an excellent job resurrecting that old Winchester. I can't get over the stock and forend, looks like they came from the same block of wood. Very nice!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 06:34:14 AM »
Great story . that wood will make you drool  you did a good job 
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline nkhunter

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 02:23:40 AM »
That might be the most beautiful slug gun I've ever laid eyes on! :o  That's not bad shooting for foster slugs, did you try any federal truball or any other brands?

Offline wink_man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 01:39:38 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys, I was pretty pleased with the way it came out.

Coyote Trapper & Nkhunter,
     The gun is a standard smoothbore barrel, no chokes(which I wanted), and I really want a fully rifled barrel for it also. I haven't tried any other slugs, am happy with the results I have gotten with the Winchesters. Been playing with smootbores and fosters for a long time now, and I generally get the best results overall with Winchester fosters. Matter of fact, I'm probably to the point now, that if I ran across a smoothbore barrel that wouldn't shoot Winchester fosters, I'd get rid of it. We've got 6 smoothbores in the house, between me and the kids, and they all shoot about the same as this gun. We sight the 12's in at 2 inches high at 50 yards, and the 20's 2 1/2 inches high at 50. This puts them dead on at 100, and gives us a point blank range of about 110/120 yards, and since a foster slug is pretty much done energy wise past that, thats the end of it. For longer distances than that, we break out the rifled barreled slugguns, hence my reason for wanting a rifled barrel for the gun also.
Garry
'Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun' - Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.