Author Topic: 22LR vs 22mag  (Read 1623 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
22LR vs 22mag
« on: September 10, 2008, 05:41:09 AM »
what do you think about these two as hunting rounds? which one is better and what are some of the pros and cons of both? i like the 22mag because it can be used to hunt coyotes and turkey and varmints but i would also have a 22LR for hunting to.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
Re: 22LR vs 22mag
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 06:17:05 AM »
The 22lr is about the cheapest shooting you can do.
The 22mag has as much or more energy at 100yds as the LR at the muzzle though.
If you're shooting coyotes the 22mag is about minimum.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 06:30:25 AM »
And if you're going to be shooting any animal, don't forget to PM me your address so I can get those cameras out to you.  Again, all at my expense.  It's just an opportunity for all of us to see the great (and unique) animals you kill.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 04:48:28 AM »
And if you're going to be shooting any animal, don't forget to PM me your address so I can get those cameras out to you.  Again, all at my expense.  It's just an opportunity for all of us to see the great (and unique) animals you kill.

This is a great offer Jamal and you might get a picture of the white coyote from behind the Cemetary tombstone.
As far as your L.R. verse the WMR question goes, I believe that you can add another honest 50yds to the range when using the WMR.

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 05:10:19 AM »
If you have a .22 Mag., you can get some .22 WRF for small game hunting, or even the solid points.  Otherwise, the mag. HP's destroys too much meat.  The only problem I have is that the impact point is very different with the WRF's, so I have to re-sight in when switching.  The WRF is like a .22 LR on steroids, or a wimpy .22 mag.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 10:25:44 AM »
Honestly I seldom take your posts seriously so pretty much never reply to them. However this is a valid question some novice shooter/hunter might see in the future and want an answer to also therefore I'll break from my norm and respond to this one.

For eatable small game use the .22LR for pests, varmints and especially predators use the .22 Magnum given the choice between the two. Yeah both work for both chores but with the LR you get less meat damage to your small game you'll want to eat and with the Magnum you get more killing power to anchor tough predators and more range on pests/varmints.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 10:30:50 AM »
the 22mag will do twice as much for three times the price !
GB and others had good points !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 11:47:18 AM »
the 22mag is a very good varmint round and turkey round if you use a rifle on them(i ask about it). but the 22LR will put food in the pot.  As i said if i had to choose i would get both, the .22RL auto for small game and a bolt 22mag for varmints. there not much here that i would need a 223  or bigger varmint gun and the shell cost less then the bigger ones.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 05:16:40 AM »
Is it just me, or does anybody else feel the same way? I don't think Jamal even owns a gun. ::)

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 06:01:24 AM »
I only have a 22 WMR only because it came with my Ruger Single Six along with 22 LR cylinder.  I have used the 22 WMR cylinder for some canines and it was instant lights out.

I wouldnt buy a 22 WMR rifle, becuase I can reload my 223 Remington a lot cheaper.

yooper77

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 07:30:11 AM »
I own one because some places i hunt are rimfire only part of the year . But I like it .

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 09:05:29 AM »
If you can't afford both.  You can't afford to feed the 22 mag.
Get a 22LR and get good with it.  There are enough high tech bullets out there that will come close to the 22 mag standard load in preformance.  I like to shoot at yotes with the Aguilla SSS the big 60 grain lead sleds out of my CZ.  It also means getting closer to them than with the 22mag.
After buying a bunch of the rimfire guns in different calibers I realize that the 22 is a lot of fun.  With the 40 target ammo it works great as a small game rifle, with the CB's it works as a pest gun, the hyper velocity stuff is good for varmints, and the 60 grains work well for preditors.  As everyone else has stated the 22 mag will extend your range 50 to 75 yards depending on the bullet design you use.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 09:32:50 AM »
I bought a 22mag when I turned 18 for ground hogs.  It puts them down with authority and at the time it didn’t cost much more than 22LR for ammo.  Now the 22mag ammo is around $10 per 50 rounds up here and I’m ready to buy a 22LR for economical shooting.  I’ve been out of the 22LR game for some time now but that ammo is still available for $15 per 500 give or take.  They are both fine cartridges though.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 01:46:18 PM »
Is it just me, or does anybody else feel the same way? I don't think Jamal even owns a gun. ::)

i had a old H&R bolt gun in 22LR and i loved it for small game and varmint hunting. I never had a 22mag but i hear good things about it ;D I can't take to much recoil (rifles) so i like the light kicking, easy on the burget guns.  One thing i did like about my .22LR gun was the ammo was cheap(i got a lot of ammo when vices store closed).

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 01:54:33 AM »
RECOIL ? but go back to the rat at the dump story . What are you trying to pull ?
look up creditability .

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 05:31:01 AM »
Shootall,
Just let it go.  While Jamaldog has great intentions and is really interested in shooting and hunting. He does ask some good questions.  But he lives in a different world.  I think at one point he told me I was a sissy and my 375 H&H doesn't kick.  He's actually right it doesn't kick,  it shoves, and HARD!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 08:12:13 AM »
SHOVE HARD ! good one !
and quick too !

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 08:27:23 AM »
Shootall,
Just let it go.  While Jamaldog has great intentions and is really interested in shooting and hunting. He does ask some good questions.  But he lives in a different world.  I think at one point he told me I was a sissy and my 375 H&H doesn't kick.  He's actually right it doesn't kick,  it shoves, and HARD!

thanks, but i can't take hard kickers(i have a heart probelm) so 308win or smaller is what i have to use. handguns i am OK with, i used to love the hard hits of the 454 and 44mag but rifles it's light kicking. the heart doc told me if i do high volume of fire or shoot something that kicks very hard my hole eye could come out or could stop my heart(i have other heath probelms that go with it to).  I have used 8mm,308win, and one time i fire a 45/70 guide gun with a very good recoil pad on it so it was not that bad.

Offline bscman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 09:26:37 AM »
Having owned every rimfire cartridge except for the 5mm...

I still prefer the 22lr for most things. The benefits a numerous....
You can range from ~300fps (and quieter that a pellet gun) to just under 1,800fps for blazing fast performance. Accuracy *can* be as good as 1moa to 100yds, with the rifle rifle and ammo. It is extremely versitile, and has a specific type of ammunition  for any and every use.

If familiarize yourself with it's trajectory, and know your ammo and rifle well, it is a 80+yd gun for the average cottontail or prairie dog (wind permitting), and is more than enough gun to take a racoon size critter within reasonable distance (under 50yds, IMHO).

However, the WMR will extend your range (assumine you find an accurate rifle/cartridge) and allow you to take larger animals. It is on the VERY bottom of the spectrum for the average coyote, but will work with a well placed shot within a reasonable distance (inside 75yds, IMHO). It makes a great bobcat rifle as well, with minimal hide damage.

The long and short...my 22lr's get at least 10x as much action at the range and in the field, but for an avid small game hunter...the 22mag needs to be in collection. Especially with the release of the newer 2,200fps+ Vmax and TNT rounds (assuming you find a rifle that shoots them well).

I will never be without a bolt action 22lr and a bolt action 22mag.
I would mind getting rid of my 17's, though they would be a ton of fun if I had ground squirrels or prairie dogs in my neck of the woods.
With the re-release of several 5mm rifles for 2009...I think you'll find a lot of used 22mags on the market. That cartridge is kind supreme and a hoot to shoot...why it ever went dead, I'll never understand!