Author Topic: poly choke on pardner?  (Read 1000 times)

Offline ebonitekid767

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
poly choke on pardner?
« on: January 05, 2008, 10:25:12 AM »
anyone have one of these chokes installed on a pardner? i think a 20 ga with poly choke would be awesome truck gun. what do ya think?
they even have one that screws right into your threaded H&R barrels!

http://www.poly-choke.com/index.htm

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: poly choke on pardner?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:35:12 PM »
DaveH had one done, a while back.  He's the guy who can clue you in.  I like your idea, though.  Have though of doing that, myself. 

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 04:04:25 PM »
I'am getting one done in 20ga. they are 120.00 plus shipping. installed but you can't lose it . forget it  and as the situation changes all it takes is a twist  I prefer the Poly Choke to screw in type. I can change setting on the move .I'll post a picture when I get it back.
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 04:50:26 PM »
I have seen Poly Chokes that you can screw into any shotgun that has a choke tube system. The Poly Choke simply replaces the choke tube and then you have all the adjustments at your fingertips. Is this what you are adding?....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Foggy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 04:56:35 PM »
The one I'am getting is hard mounted permanent to the barrel and it will be a shorty 20" OAL barrel. nine settings from extra full  slug and all point in between
I seen the screw in version  by the time you ge the barrel threaded and buy it with  shipping  you have it hard mounted . now if your barrel is threaded then that way is 40 bucks cheaper

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 12:16:27 AM »
Yeah, I checked those out a while back, also.  The neet thing is they do all the calculations.  You just tell them what you want the OAL to be and they will cut down the barrel and install it for you.  The shortest they will take a barrel is so the barrel is still legal when the choke is dissassembled for cleaning.  That way you will never get caught with  an illegal firearm. 
Now you got me thinking about those again.  Dang ;D

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Foggy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 02:02:15 AM »
Concentrate on the watch you are getting sleepy sleepy

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 02:54:14 AM »
Funny Man ;D  Yeah, like I need any help.  You must have been there, somewhere, cause what you're buildin' is the pic that was in my "mind's eye" a couple months ago. :D

Are you spendin' the extra $10 for the gold inlay on the choke?  Don't remember, can you get a fiber optic bead or do they just replace the one they remove?

We do, of course, expect range and pattern reports. ;)

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Foggy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 06:00:53 AM »
no gold inlay here .. there's an old saying in the Harley world Chrome won't get you home, (that's a pre yuppie Harley saying) from there it gets the forcing cone lenghtened. then the TDC wood I'll have the best 100.00 dollar shot gun 300.00 dollars can buy. I've been in and out of hospital in dec and many  doctor visits so I;am doing all this while making payments on my docs new BMW LOL I figure the un-veiling around April  and range report too

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 09:20:33 AM »
I'll be lookin' forward to the pics and range reports.  For now, I'll send up a prayer for that you get all fixed up and Doc can start makin' his own payments again. ;)

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline WILD_WEASEL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 04:22:03 AM »
I was noodling through my reprint of the 1940 Shooter Bible last night.  And there it was, the Aero-Dyne Super Poly Choke installed on your barrel for $14.75!  I had no idea these things had been around so long.  Since I enjoy shooting vintage and reproductions of vintage guns I may just end up sending my Handi 12Ga 28" full in to have one fitted.  If I can get a clear digital image I'll post the advertisement shortly.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 11:50:50 AM »
My Dad has an older model Mossy 12ga with a C-Lect Choke.  Pretty much the same thing.  They are really nice for guys like me that have a habit of "putting it where I can find it" and then forgetting where that is. ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 02:54:15 AM »
Yes I spent or should I say my wife spent 137.00 plus shipping for a $100.00 gun,  But I will say it was worth it...  I had it installed on a 12 ga. pardner that started life as a 28" mod choke barrel I had them maintain the 28' length.  And my Son- In-Law has been using it this year with great success.  You have like 5-6 different types of front bead sight to choose  from.  I choose the white ivory (Its not real ivory) but looks good.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 03:03:52 AM »
How does it do with slugs, DaveH.  I have thoughts of doin' one up with a short barrel, also.  Maybe 20 or 22 inches, with a fold down rear sight.  Might be too short for shootin' clays, but sure would make a nice huntin' gun, don't ya think ;D  Can you get fiber optic bead or sights when they install it?

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline WILD_WEASEL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 02:55:07 PM »
Just had a 12ga 28" Full fitted to my BC Carbine.  I see one of these Aero-Dyne Super Poly Choke in my guns future too.

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 11:12:03 AM »
Cookie,
Not sure the son-in-law uses my tracker II 12 ga,  for deer hunting so we have ever shot slugs out of it.  I'm now the proud owner of a fine Browning A-bolt 12 ga slug gun  But when it comes to shot loads it works great.  Darn thinking about it the boy has three of my H&R guns....
But hey its fun to have someone I can count on to go hunting. 
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline WILD_WEASEL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 04:19:00 AM »
QUESTION?

Once the Poly Choke is fitted it would appear that the front sight/bead is higher.  How do you think this will affect the point of aim (POI) on a plane barrel Handi?

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 11:37:45 AM »
The one mounted on my gun has a flat area that the bead is mounted on .  not much higher the the barrel.  I have ever noticed a different. And my son-in-law seems to shoot it very well.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline WILD_WEASEL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 04:46:18 AM »
When I send my 12ga Handi barrel in to have the Poly Choke added are there any recommendations as the final overall barrel length I should request?  I’m starting out with a 28” full choked barrel and “casual” trap shooting will be my primary use for this gun when using the shotgun barrel, but who knows down the road.  Another added plus for the Poly-Choke is that they allow the use of steel shot and slugs.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 11:06:29 AM »
I wouldn't take it any shorter than is comfortable for you to shoot trap.  If you get it too short it will swing too quick and choppy and would not make for good trap shooting.  I'd think 26"....and no shorter than 24".  Just my $.02

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"