Author Topic: Browning 1885 .45-70 - Is this the Traditional Hunter?  (Read 1095 times)

Offline winman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Browning 1885 .45-70 - Is this the Traditional Hunter?
« on: February 03, 2008, 04:42:48 AM »
Had my eye out for an 1885 in .45-70 for several years. Wasn't really 'beating the bushes' for one, just watching and waiting. It's in really good condition, just a couple of minor scratches on the stock that can probably be rubbed out with some oil. Metal parts need a good wipe-down. Bought it yesterday at a gun show.

The wood appears to be oil finished instead of the typical Browning glossy finish. The action is bright blue but the  28" barrel is a dull blue. It has a gold bead front sight, an open rear sight on the barrel, and also has a short tang sight (with click adjustments) that I thought had been added (but maybe not). The tang sight says BROWNING on it.
It has the schnabel forend and crescent butt.

Is this the Traditional Hunter model? I've been doing internet searches but can't find specific details about the different versions of the Browning 1885. Thanks.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Browning 1885 .45-70 - Is this the Traditional Hunter?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 06:27:35 AM »
Might be but need a photo. I don't recall the Trad Hunter models having a rear sight on the barrel or click adjustable tang either. Show us some photos of the over all gun and the two rear sights.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline winman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 01:41:49 PM »
I just looked at the Browning web site to date this gun and discovered that the serial number actually  provides you with the year of manufacture and also the model number.  My serial is 04xxxNP2H7. NP converts to '98 and 2H7 is the code for the Traditional Hunter.  I still want to find out if the tang sight is original or has been added. Do any of you know? Thanks.

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 03:30:02 AM »
My .45-70 Traditional Hunter had the click-adjustable Marble's-made/Browning-marked tang peep as the factory issue.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !