Author Topic: Scope on old single shot 16ga  (Read 588 times)

Offline retfed

• Trade Count: (0)
    • My Son 1LT
Scope on old single shot 16ga
« on: January 21, 2008, 09:36:36 AM »
I'll say it before someone else does ....  Your crazy to do that....

So what are the chances I could find a gunsmith to drill and tap my old 16ga Savage single shot to mount a scope on it, or even a set of rifle sights for that matter?
I mean heck, all the TC Encore rifles/pistols have their rear sights and scope mounts mounted into the chamber area, why wouldn't it work on my Savage? Plenty thick enough.
I have an old Bushnell Command Post 1.5-5x scope ready to mount.
I already had the full choke taken out to imp. cyl.
I have always loved hunting with that little gun. Easy to carry, but no sights but the front bead.

JC  retfed
"People don't come preassembled, but are glued together by life"
Joseph LeDoux

Offline wink_man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Scope on old single shot 16ga
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 01:28:27 PM »
Nothing crazy about it, if it's a good gun, and you like it, and are confident using it, thats what counts.

I'm assuming it's a Savage 94? Good guns, and if you have had it bored out to improved cylinder, thats exactly how Remington bores their smoothbore slugguns, so you probably have an ideal candidate there.

I'm sure you could find a smith to drill and tap the barrel, but you might want to ask him about epoxy also. If he can come up with a weaver base that has the proper radius for the barrel, there are epoxies out there that will bind the base to the barrel like steel, yet you can loosen them up with a heat temperature of about 300 degrees, that way if you ever wanted to remove it, the gun would still be original without the holes, I suggest you ask him the best way to go about it, good luck, and let us know how it shoots when scoped if you do go through with it.
Garry
'Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun' - Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.

Offline Huntsman1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Scope on old single shot 16ga
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 04:48:50 PM »
Crazy nuth'n..that's a dandy idea, I have a Winchester 370 in 16ga that could use some tweaking to get her out to the range more, U don't mind if I borrow that idea do ya..lol