Author Topic: Best Rangefinder  (Read 908 times)

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Best Rangefinder
« on: January 03, 2008, 11:23:24 AM »
For CHRISTmas, my dad gave me some money to buy a rangefinder.  I am not sure which brand to get.  I would however like to get one that tells the true distance when hunting out of an elevated stand.  I would be using this for both bow and rifle hunting.

Offline The Sodbuster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Best Rangefinder
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 11:54:27 AM »
Both Leupold and Bushnell offer rangefinders that will calculate true, horizontal distance from an angular distance.  In general, the more expensive models will range farther.  Don't be too impressed with hype that they will range objects out to 800 or 1000 yards.  They may range a white barn at that distance, but won't range a deer sized critter anywhere near that far.  I have a Bushnell rangefinder.  Don't recall the exact model name, but it ran around $250.  Once, out of curiousity, I aimed it at some cattle near where I was hunting.  Couldn't get a reading off it.  Found a white steer in the herd and tried it.  Distance was around 375 yards.  Worked on a white steer at that distance, but not a black one.  It's supposedly good for a deer sized critter out to 200 yards.  I take it with me hunting, sometimes, but have never used it for that purpose.  For the ranges I generally shoot deer at (rifle hunting), I really don't need it.

Always enjoyed watching The Best of the West on TV.  The former host used a rangefinder unlike any I'd seen in the catalogs.  Always figured it was some kind of military model.  They would range elk out past 800 yards with it on TV.  Stumbled across it by accident on-line recently.  It's an XL-20 (or was it XR?) rangefinder.  It will range a target out to 2000 yards or meters, give or take 1 meter.  Costs around $1,700 and weighs over 2 lbs.

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 06:33:32 PM »
I know several people who bow hunt and  have moved the the Leupold range finder from the Bushnell or Nikon.  I have a Bushnell which is a fine range finder for rifle hunting.

You should go to a store that carries Nikon, Bushnell and Leupold and try them.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 08:42:44 AM »
I`ve had Bushnell, Nikon and Leupold. My Leupolds are the Bino type and for that reason I much prefer them. One thing to remember is that all of them will range a deer or coyote to about 1/2 the range claimed especially when hand held. I like to set and wait and watch for coyote and would like to find a range finder that would range a coyote to 1,000 yrds., but something like that is several $ 1,000  dollars. You will also need to crono your load and work up a drop chart and a wind drift chart.

Offline ba_50

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 07:56:48 AM »
Swaro, Leica 1200, Bushnell Eite 1500.

There is lots of negative feedback on Leupold RF's.

Offline Norm1057

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 08:27:26 AM »
My Bushnell 800 has worked good for me rifle and bow hunting. It's tough to range much past 400+ as mentioned. That's my max with the rifle anyway. I would like my next one to be smaller for more convenience during bow season.

Good luck to you!

Offline kudzu

• A Real Regular
  • (Dancoman)
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 04:40:21 PM »
I have the Bush Elite 1500. Have hit Elk out to 1000yrds and WT to over 600. My fartherest reading on a large fixed object (shining barn roof) has been 1578. A great RF for the money. 349 delivered from Optic Zone.
I myself would like a smaller one just for bow hunting, Even tho the 1500 ain't huge my no means.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 06:08:45 PM »
My Bushnell 450 was $150 bucks and It reflects game on game out to 400 yards,  Zoned on a Mule deer in Mt two years ago and also ranged a few other objects in the field waited till he was inside what I feel comfortable shooting and stuck a bullet in him at 275 yards. I am not comfortable shooting past 400 yards with any of my rifles.  Just a personal thing.
A friend has a much more expensive model and we come up to the same objects under 450 to the same distance + or - a couple of feet or yards.  Usually explained by where we are standing.  I have tested mine with my GPS and again it's right on.  150 yards is 450 feet walked with my GPS across a field.  My friend is also reluctant to carry his with him on horse back or anywhere it could get damaged.  Same goes for his $900 binoculars.  My $150 unit goes every where and works fine for me.  The only thing I don't like about it is that it uses 9Volt batteries instead of AA that my GPS uses or AAA that other items I have use and have lots of.  The up side is I have only had three batteries in it in four years, it's small and fits in a pocket and lite.
Good luck.