Author Topic: 22 hornet stock: wood or synthetic?  (Read 777 times)

Offline redhawksixsh

• Trade Count: (0)
22 hornet stock: wood or synthetic?
« on: January 27, 2008, 03:43:59 PM »
I am looking for a hornet to shoot for fun and hunt with on my farm.  Curious to know if there if one stock material is better than the other as far as accuracy is concerned.

Offline rbergum95

• Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
Re: 22 hornet stock: wood or synthetic?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 03:49:23 PM »
most people prefer the wood as it is easier to modify for accuracy. im sure the other guys will chime in on this as well. i have my handi hornet in a set of choate varmint stocks and it does well. shoots about the same in those stocks as it does the wood set.

ron

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 04:10:17 PM »
I've found that the Choate Varmit forend makes my Handi's shoot a lot better.................

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 02:09:50 AM »
Wood or laminate IMO

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 02:45:18 AM »
wood, without a doubt....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 02:52:06 AM »
It is funny you mentioned this. I just got a 22 Hornet lite weight barrel and purchased a laminated fore end for it. I just completed putting in an aluminum pillar in the fore end over the week end. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but have high hopes that with the pillar and up pressure on the end of the fore end I will be able to tame the barrel vibrations. I sure like it's light weight...6.8 pounds with laminated stock and scope mounted.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 04:00:15 AM »
Unless the gun will be used as a "beater" that you will toss behind the seat in a pickup
I would say go for the wood.

Robert

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 04:24:27 AM »
Here is a link to the sticky above that includes a report I wrote with photo links of why you may want wood or laminate to accurize your Hornet.  Synthetic may be fine,  if by chance its lacking it is harder to adjust/accurize.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,127462.msg1098459041.html#msg1098459041

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 05:51:47 AM »
It is funny you mentioned this. I just got a 22 Hornet lite weight barrel and purchased a laminated fore end for it. I just completed putting in an aluminum pillar in the fore end over the week end. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but have high hopes that with the pillar and up pressure on the end of the fore end I will be able to tame the barrel vibrations. I sure like it's light weight...6.8 pounds with laminated stock and scope mounted.

Please post the details of the pillar bedding in a separate thread and I'll put it in the FAQs.  ;)

Thx,

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline redhawksixsh

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 01:57:37 PM »
Thanks for the good information, guys.  I need something to do while passing the time between deer seasons!  This is a great site full of good ideas and fun, and a nice group of folks like me.  Jeff in San Antonio, Texas.

Offline s_hawk

• If ya come, ya better come heavy!
    • Texas Punishment Crew
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 12:07:53 PM »
I like the synthetic stock in the super light compact for my Hornet, HOWEVER everything said above is true. I do a lot of Night Hunting for Axis which is legal in Texas and like the .22 Hornet because its not that loud, very accurate, and packs enough punch to put down an Axis with a close neck shot. The Super Light .22 Hornet (now Discontinued) is 33 in. overall, very light, and perfect for what I want it for. I've tried this type hunting with a regular wood stock Hornet and found it a little bulkier then what I wanted for this type hunting. The Bushnell Package scope you can get works well as its a short light scope which gathers enough light to get the job done either with a light or full moon.
Hawk
Glory Lasts Forever