Author Topic: .454 Casull-dilemma with H110  (Read 615 times)

Offline Selmer

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
.454 Casull-dilemma with H110
« on: July 09, 2003, 09:26:41 AM »
I'm trying to find some good loads for my 12" Encore .454 Casull with H110, and I can't get anything to group!  I'm shooting cast bullets from 250 gr. to 370 gr, and nothing is under 3" at 25 yds yet, and most groups are well over that.  It's not the gun because it loves Unique and almost any weight bullet, but I wouldn't mind having a little more punch that Unique provides, although a 300 gr. bullet at 1400 fps is probably enough for deer, it groups about an inch at 100 yds, one big hole at 25 yds, so I know it's not the gun.  If any of you have and tried and proven (safe) loads with H110 and the .454, please shoot me some info, if you don't want to post it, PM me or email me at encorefan@hotmail.com.
Thanks,
Selmer
"Next to the glory of God, music deserves the highest praise"-Martin Luther
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown

Offline Mike C

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://mattbeltonoutfitters.com
H-110
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 01:49:22 AM »
With H-110 you will get best results when the bullet base is just touching or slightly compressing the powder in a loaded round.
I am very suprised you are not getting real good accuracy if you are using published loads for your bullet weights.  Are you using a magnum small rifle primer?  

Oh by the way a 300 gr hard cast bullet @ 1400fps will shoot right through a 1500 lb bison so it just might be enough for a 200 lb deer. :wink:

Mike C

Offline Selmer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 03:24:24 AM »
I'm using published data, but maybe I need a heavier crimp, I using a 3/4 turn on my Lee factory crimp die and I'm seating them as far out as I can, maybe I'll try seating them deeper... I'm using a CCI 400 small rifle primers, should I tyr something else?
Willie
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2003, 04:45:07 AM »
hey buddy, you MIGHT be damaging those bullets when you load them!Is there any sign the case is"belling" just behind the crimp?Cast slugs are funny,one load shoots great .The next batch throws patterns.The brass might be old and work hardened in a few reloads.are you sizing the bullets to fit the forcing cone or the cylinder throat? Are you shooting the cast loads behind jacketed loads without cleaning the gun?
OOPs !just reread your post. Since it is an Encore, we can forget the forcing cone deal.But your slugs may be seated off center in the brassThis will result in larger groups. ANY damage to the bullet's base will also cause inaccuracy(holes, gouges from un belled cases,etc). Are these your castings or commercial stuff?

Offline Selmer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 05:23:38 AM »
They're castings from Lloyd Smale, I'm belling the bases plenty, I think my next course of action is crimping in the crimping grooves instead of making my own.
Selmer

Offline Mike C

• http://mattbeltonoutfitters.com
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2003, 01:46:14 PM »
Selmer,     I have always used a small rifle magnum primer, lots of folks say that Remington 7-1/2's are the best.  I think that with your bullets seated way out you have a lot of air space and H-110 doesn't like that.  Seat a dozen bullets to a depth where the bullet base is in contact with the powder and see how it shoots.    Mike C

Offline Selmer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2003, 02:27:46 PM »
Thanks Mike, I'll give that a shot. :)  Pardon the pun.
Selmer

Offline Billy Marr

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.bbtcastbulletsales.com
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2003, 03:41:16 AM »
What I have found with h110 is a firm crimp and good load density. With light loads for the case volume accuracy will suffer. Try a rifle primer with a mid wieght load then work slowly up. As for the bullet seating I have found that the Lee setup for lareing will hurt more than help. Try a Lyman M-die so that the case is expanded uniformly the bullet base should just sart in the case. whit gascheck bullets the gas check should only goin about half its length. Next slowly seat and aply a firm crimp but not enough to peel lead off the bullet. Be aware that even if you get good groupes at 25 you may not get good groups at 100 or visa versa. I my self use the longer ranges for testing.
lead bullets done right