Author Topic: 5MM reming Mag RF?  (Read 1303 times)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
5MM reming Mag RF?
« on: January 27, 2008, 08:29:08 AM »
I see new maunfacture 5MM Remington Mag RF ammo, could be a good project after I finish off my .14 Cal stub project.  Wonder if you would have to shoot it on a SB2 frame and use an offset barrel? 

On the versapack stub project.  I have tried every way known to man to press out the barrel, after removing the pin, I have tried heat, a slide hammer and every other method I can think of and cannot even move .001 inch.  I will just bore it out and be done with it.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
Re: 5MM reming Mag RF?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 08:36:52 AM »
I'd think a Sportster receiver could handle the 5mm Rem Mag without any problems.   If i remember correctly, the pin is offset in those - which would make turning a stub or barrel easier not having to worry about bore offset.    ...just center the bore and barrel and let the offset pin do the work.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 08:51:55 AM »
I'd think a Sportster receiver could handle the 5mm Rem Mag without any problems.   

I wouldn't think that at all, the 5mm Rem Mag operates at 33kpsi, has a SAAMI MAP of 37kpsi, compared to 24-27kpsi for the 22 and 17mags.

Tim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_mm_Remington_Rimfire_Magnum

http://www.frfrogspad.com/miscellk.htm

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 08:59:09 AM »
Guess I need to start looking for a 5MM barrel.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline knight0334

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 09:03:27 AM »
Whats the metallurgy of the Sporty receiver?  Is it the same as the SB1?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 09:06:55 AM »
That's a good question and a good reason not to think it would work.  ;)

Tim

Offline knight0334

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 09:32:36 AM »
Hypothetically speaking - if the Sporty is SB1 grade, its possible that it could handle it considering the factory centerfire cartridges that were mounted on the SB1 grade in years past(357mag, 44mag, 30-30, 45-70, etc).    Possibility that it wouldn't be safe too..   I wouldn't be worried about a barrel rupture or frame stretch, but maybe the case rupturing at the firing pin.   Of course a SB2 would be best, however dealing with an offset bore I think would be a turd and a half.

Who knows...  I think it's worth a try on a Sporty if someone can vouch for it being SB1 grade.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 10:23:24 AM »
Where are you finding this new ammo and who is making it? At what price point?

Unless someone has just recently tooled up I don't think any has been made in over 20 years and the last time I saw it for sale folks were asking as much per round as it used to cost per 50. It is a super nice round and one of my favorite if not all time favorite rimfires.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 10:26:05 AM »
I did an internet search for it and all I found was overpriced original production Rem rimfire ammo, and the centerfire version, but it's always possible to be too new to be on the internet yet.

Tim

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 12:41:05 PM »
The 5mm was a great round I shot a bunch of woodchucks with one  went overseas came back and the ammo was already drying up. funny how it died and the 17 introduced so many years later took off.  like the short mags  an answer to a question that no one asked.  Just a gimick to me. oh well life goes on

Foggy 
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 12:51:16 PM »
With the success of the .204 I think the 5mm Mag Rimfire could be resurrected. 20 cals seem to be here to stay.
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
I agree all those old 5mm rf Remingtons sitting around in closets  you would think huh
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 01:49:42 PM »
New stuff, just out.  Larry

Gunbroker Item 90968260

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 02:18:09 PM »
Here's some more on the ammo now that Larry provided a manufacturer. I had to remove the GB link, auction links to ammo or firearms are prohibited.

Tim

http://www.shootingsportsretailer.com/content/view/341/4/

Offline indydave

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 04:14:01 PM »
funny story about a 5mm rimfire     a buddy and i were frog hunting from a boat at night with my 10/22   ( about 30 years ago) i ran dry and was out of ammo after about 50 frogs we got for froglegs  (hungry teenagers we was)   and jay hands me a nifty little rifle and he had just bought. Jay had a monster bullfrog in the light so i thumbed off the safety and centering the frog in the iron sights      ........squeezed    and BOOM!!!!!!!! a small crater appeared in the bank of the pond  and no frog!!!!!!!!! just frog parts strewn about!   I am quite sure my face was priceless as i turned to look at Jay             we used that little gun quite a bit    LOL it made the stingers out of my 10/22 look pretty tame !

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 06:07:38 PM »
I once shot a chipmunk with the 5mm and the ONLY thing I found was about an inch long section of one leg with the foot still attached but it was completely skinned. Where the rest went I never figured out. It was one wicked varmint round but was tough on squirrels.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 06:18:15 PM »
Boy I bet those gougers who are sittin on a bunch of the $60-$70 a box 5mm Remington are just about chokin right now . :P If they go to trying to charge $27 a box like the Gunbroker deal they will end up sittin on a bunch i think. I know where there are 3 of those Remingtons right now that have not been shot but a handful of times in the last 20 yrs. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline AZHoosier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • An unloaded gun is just a CLUB!!
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 07:09:25 PM »
I have one of those. Purchased in in the early 70's I believe. They are legal for Turkey here in Arizona. I have one box and 4 rounds. When it was new I went squirrel hunting with it. Shot one squirrel..... found the hind legs and part of the back and tail. Never took it hunting again. If you figure out the cost of using in now if you get your turkey with one shot your looking at a pretty big cost for a turkey that you can get really cheap with any other centerfire rifle or shotgun. Nope, not me. But I'm sure going to look into the ammo for it. I have been thinking about converting it to the 5mm Craig centerfire. I've waited this long now will probably wait a bit longer now to see what happens with the "new ammo" if someone is currently loading again for it. I love the gun, really a nice little rifle.
I shoot first, and don't ask questions.

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 02:04:55 AM »
Here is the real story

On the front page this morning of my favorite varmint hunting site............first as usual, by a couple of regulars on the site, whom I greatly respect  :)

Link here.  Scroll down.........FRONT PAGE NEWS

www.varminter.com

There is also talk about in the rimfire forum there, amongst us rim mag enthusiasts

This likely could be the start / buzz of bringing back the 5mm/.20 cal rim mag in modern form with modern,powders,etc.

I know Hornady has also been testing/playing with such for some time now.

If they could get 2500 fps from a 30 gr with moa accuracy...................I am in  ;)  Be a great Woodchuck rim mag  ;)

The accuracy was there in the above story.............for sure

Offline AZHoosier

• An unloaded gun is just a CLUB!!
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 05:57:55 AM »
I just read the article posted by "Just Bill" on the 5mm ammo resurrection... I tell you what, that is just super, super news. Now we have to wait for distribution it sounds like. If and when it comes around I will be an avid purchaser. Especially when manufacturers come out with new weapons made for the ammo. I would simply go bonkers over a new XP-100 in that caliber. I have an original XP with a four digit serial number in the .221 Fireball. I would love to have one in the 5mm. Also I have a bright photo in my imagination of a brand spanking new H&R/NEF barrel in the mail in the 5mm round.
All I can say is "Yippee!" It's been a long time waiting.  :o
If you ever get one and try it on squirrels for the table, do make positive sure you hit it in the head!!!!!
I shoot first, and don't ask questions.

Offline knight0334

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 10:04:34 AM »
If they are truly gonna start making 5mm again, with any luck they will produce 25 and 32 long rimfire ammo again for mine and dad's Stevens Favorite rifles.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 10:18:23 AM »

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 03:34:13 PM »
This is sweet news. I have wanted a 5mm for about 12 years now. Ever since I came across a full box of ammo for it at a relatives auction and they gave it to me for free. I wanted it because it was a relatively rare rifle and really rare ammo but now I just want it to shoot. Now I just have to find a rifle. Is there any word from some manufacturers about making a new rifle to go with it?

Navylawdog

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 04:05:30 PM »
This is from the link I posted earlier...

Several premium rifle and handgun manufacturers will be building new firearms for the Centurion 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum.  Availability for both cartridge and firearms is mid-winter 2008.  Centurion 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum also works in old guns originally chambered for this caliber.

http://www.shootingsportsretailer.com/content/view/341/4/

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 04:11:14 PM »
Thanks Tim I must have missed that post. Sometimes the wife distracts me while I am trying to read and I miss stuff.

Navylawdog

Offline knight0334

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 04:54:58 PM »
This outfit lists the 32 Long ammo..

http://mashburnssafarimilitarygoods.com/rimfireammunition.aspx

Thanks, Tim..

Thats probably the cheapest I've seen in the last 15 years or so.