Author Topic: Shipping a revolver back to ruger  (Read 873 times)

Offline jaybird

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Shipping a revolver back to ruger
« on: February 11, 2008, 11:20:55 AM »
Hello friends,

I have to return my Redhawk to Ruger to have the barrel tightened. They sent me a UPS shipping label via email that I need to print off. I know it must go overnight air to be shipped UPS, but is it legal for me to ship myself, or does it need to be shipped from an FFL? This is a first for me, and I want to make sure I do everything correctly.

thanks in advance,
Jim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Shipping a revolver back to ruger
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 12:13:11 PM »
You can ship it, but it has to be shipped overnight service thru UPS or Fedex, UPS Air Saver is the least expensive IIRC.

Tim

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/guidelines/firearms.html

http://www.fedex.com/us/services/terms/us.html#firearms
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jaybird

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 11:52:01 PM »
Thanks Tim. Everything I looked at on the internet seemed to indicate the same thing. However, the nearest UPS customer center is an hour away, so I called them to double check. The woman who answered the phone was unsure of the regs, and had to look them up. Then she told me I couldn't ship a handgun unless I had my FFL. I then called my local FFL guy, and he said he would be happy to ship it out for me. Darned nice of him, considering I didn't buy the gun from his shop.

Jim

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 01:54:56 AM »
You DO NOT have to have an FFL to ship a handgun for you IF it's going back to the manufacturer or to a gunsmith for repairs or modifications. But if the local shippers won't take it then you really don't have a lot of choice do you?

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Steve in Michigan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 05:02:51 AM »
I have been trying to find somebody who will ship a handgun for me to an FFL when I sold it. UPS will not ship it unless you are returning it for repair and I have had everybody at the local FedEx depots say they will not ship any firearms. My local dealer wants $50 plus shipping charges to ship it. Any ideas?

Steve

Offline Pistol_Pete

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 05:07:40 AM »
I used FedEx once, but UPS is probably the same kind of a hassle.  You need to go to their web-site, and see what their regulations are.  Their clerk won't know their procedure, so you need to.  You also need to know the federal regulations, because their clerk won't know them either. At the FedEx office, I must have said "No, YOUR regulations say..." and "No, the federal law actually says..." about five times. The clerk had to check with her supervisor by phone once or twice, but finally the deed got done.  So: 1. Know their procedure, because the clerk probably won't; 2. Be polite, but be confident enough that it borders on being firm; 3. Remember that you are their customer, and so is Ruger.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 06:09:57 AM »
I posted the regs for UPS and Fedex in my previous reply, just remember, there can be ignorance on their side of the counter just as well as on our side.  :-\ If you read the UPS reg, they'll only accept firearms at certain points, UPS stores aren't one of them.

Tim

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/guidelines/firearms.html

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
You can only ship your package that contains a handgun from UPS daily pickup accounts or through UPS Customer Centers (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Handguns are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.
When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
You can ship a firearm (excluding handguns, which are discussed above), from a UPS daily pickup account, UPS On-Call Pickup, One-Time Pickup, or a UPS Customer Center. Note: Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 09:43:05 AM »
just use the usps.   

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 09:56:17 AM »
Handguns aren't mailable USPS by us non-licensed mortals.

Tim

http://pe.usps.gov/text/pub52/pub52c4_003.html

Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as "handguns") are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 10:14:38 AM »
As far as I know FEDEX will still come to your house and pick up a handgun to ship at least they will if you have a call tag for sure. I've returned two to Taurus that way. Both times Taurus generated a call tag for the pick up and FEDEX came to my house and got it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 10:55:59 PM »
Ive heard it both ways. We have two post offices near us. One will do it and one wont. Its there interpitation of the law. The one that will told me its legal as long as its going for repair to the original factory and is not marked as a firearm on the box. Like was said all you can do is try. If they say no its no use arguing.
blue lives matter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 11:19:29 PM »
It is definitely a violation of postal regulations to allow handgun shipment by a non FFL holder. For sure postal employees are not always up to snuff on their own regulations and so some might allow things that are not supposed to happen. Still I'm thinking that subjects you to the penalties of violating federal law if you do it when it's not allowed even if some dumb clerk allowed it. You not them would be on the hook for the violation IF CAUGHT.

Same applies to UPS and FEDEX their folks don't always know their own rules and the one who wouldn't allow the revolver to be shipped by the owner to the manufacturer was wrong.

Federal law provides for shipping handguns to manufacturer or to gunsmiths for repairs and/or modification and return to owner via shippers other than USPS but NOT by USPS. It also allows FFL holders to use USPS as well as the other shippers like UPS, FEDEX, DHL and such.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 02:04:35 PM »
Jaybird
I have had to send 2 Rugers back to them as the barrel unscrewed. The first was a SBH which they repaired, the second was a RH which they replaced the barrel on. They were both 44 mags and I had been shooting reloads that were close to max. My statement to the c/s was that i shoot Mag-Tech 240 g jhp factory loads. I also have another RH 44 mag, a year newer in purchase that has never had a problem. I just put them in the plastic case they came in and went to the local ship them store paid to have them box it, insured them. In 4-8 weeks Fed Ex delievered them which requires your signature. I would not worry about Ruger as Smith&Wesson has had similar problems.
Jim

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 10:38:29 AM »
Why didn't they send me shipping labels?  I'm having a lead shaving problem with a single six... and I was just given the address to send it to....
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 11:07:35 AM »
I think you have to ask for mfrs to get service like that for warranty repair, for example, H&R will either reimburse shipping or issue a UPS call tag, but a person usually has to ask for it, they'll gladly let us pay the shipping to them if you don't ask. :'(

Tim

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 10:39:34 PM »
One thing to keep in mind with Ruger is that they DO NOT offer a warranty on any of their guns. None period nada no warranty. BUT they do have excellent customer service and they do stand behind their products pretty darn good. They just don't spell out any specifics so it's really up to them to decide what they will and will not do. Being nice and asking politely gets you a lot more than being demanding and rude.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125