Author Topic: Survivor stocked Turkey gun??  (Read 833 times)

Offline KenSel

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
Survivor stocked Turkey gun??
« on: January 24, 2008, 06:00:15 AM »
I'm thinking of buying a 223 Survivor and then having a 28" full choke 12ga barrel put on it and a good snug fitting slip-on recoil pad put on the stock.  Have any of you done this?  What recoil pad would fit the best on this stock?  What barrel would be the best?  I don't need the 3 1/2" chamber, I'm just looking for a barrel that'll give me good patterns using turkey loads.  Would the steel shot barrel be a good choice, or should I go with the fixed full choke, or the barrel with the interchangeable choke tubes?  What choke tubes will fit the H&R barrels?

I appreciate any info you guys can give me,
thanks,

Ken

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Survivor stocked Turkey gun??
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:47:08 AM »
The Winchoke system of chokes = Winchester/Mossberg 500 series/Browning Invector (not Invector Plus), will fit the H&R shotguns that accept choke tubes. [quote from FAQ in NEF Centerfire Rifle]

I don't have a Survivor stock but do have a .223 BB.  I sent it in to have a Turkey barrel fitted.  It is the turkey barrel with the screw in choke.  For deer season last year I bought a rifled choke tube and it worked great with the Remington BuckHammers.  I never had the opportunity to use it for turkey, but the couple of times I shot it for patterns it looked good with the Winchester Premium Turkey loads, better with 3" than 3.5" and #6 patterned better than #5.  The only thing I found missing was a good sight system.  I was told by a gunsmith the barrel was too thin to drill and tap.  A vent ribbed barrel might give you better options for sights.  Or a Tracker I barrel if you can find one and then have it threaded for choke tubes.  Or wait to see what barrels will become available this year from the factory.  But if you want it for this springs turkey season, give yourself plenty of time for it to be at the factory.  A phone call to the factory for barrel availability and time schedule could save some frustration.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline KenSel

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 12:18:07 PM »
thanks for the info d.  I never thought about the barrel being too thin to drill and tap; I was planning on buying one of the cheap $45 dollar barrels and having it drilled and tapped to install a red dot sight.  I wonder if I could get a weaver style mount welded or soldered to the barrel; and if it would be strong enough?   That'd be nice to be able to use it with a rifled choke tube and slugs too.  I'm gonna have to do some digging.

thanks,
Ken

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:56:22 PM »
Down the page there is a thread about sights on Pardner shotgun barrels.  Many different ideas have been discussed and a few tried.  It makes for some good reading and might give you a few ideas.  I have a couple ideas just need to take some time and give them a try and then report here.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,134606.0.html#top
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline KenSel

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 07:10:04 AM »
Has anyone tried the Hi Viz TriViz sights that mount on the rib of the barrel?   Here's a link to it -  http://www.hivizsights.com/Shotgun-TriViz-Combo-Sight--P24C1.aspx

They look pretty neat but I'm not sure how well they work.

Offline KenSel

• Contributor

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 11:13:12 AM »
To use that you need to have the barrel with the vent rib, mine doesn't.  I have an older shotgun that has a vent rib and I had thought about getting that same setup for it, but it has a fix mod. choke, so not much good for turkey.

Offline KenSel

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:38:50 AM »
I see that H&R has accessory barrels with the vent rib on it and screw in choke tube for $81 + fitting & shipping.  I may just have to get that set-up.   

Ken

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 09:53:28 AM »
I think that would give you the most options as far as bird hunting and then still be able to use slugs either thru the smooth bore or add a rifled choke tube.  I am not sure if that is a plastic vent rib or metal, if it is metal, B-Square offers a scope mount that attaches to the vent rib.  I would only use that on a metal rib and use a small scope.

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 10:04:44 AM »
Don't forget that the survivor stock is 1" shorter than wood stocks, considerably lighter, and has no recoil pad.   The only way I would shoot turkey loads of any size out of a sub 5lb gun is if I filled the survivor stock storage compartment with lead shot and add some serious weight.

I am trying a new approach to sights on my topper for turkey hunting.   I am putting a barrel clamp weaver mount and a burris red dot about half way down my barrel. 

One of these --> http://www.laserlyte.com/new_products/tri-rail.html    should shim up to my topper barrel nicely.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 10:18:03 AM »
Don't forget that the survivor stock is 1" shorter than wood stocks, considerably lighter, and has no recoil pad.   The only way I would shoot turkey loads of any size out of a sub 5lb gun is if I filled the survivor stock storage compartment with lead shot and add some serious weight.

AND add a large slip-on Limbsaver!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 11:12:41 AM »
I am putting a barrel clamp weaver mount and a burris red dot about half way down my barrel. 

One of these --> http://www.laserlyte.com/new_products/tri-rail.html    should shim up to my topper barrel nicely.
Nice idea.  What if you mounted it closer to the chamber and just inlet the fore end to fit around the barrel clamp?  Inletting a wood fore end might be easier and then paint it with the trunk liner paint.  I wonder if there is enough wood to get all the way around the clamp without making the fore end too weak.  I didn't look, but if they have a single rail version, that might fit better.  You have me thinking now.

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 08:05:55 AM »
but it has a fix mod. choke, so not much good for turkey.
  >:(  contrary to what the gun writes and ammo maker would lead you to believe turkeys are not armor plated rocket scientist >:(  use #4,#5,#6 witch ever puts 10 pellets in a pop can at the farthest range figure out the farthest range you can alway put 10 pellets in a pop can [that is your max range]practice your calling  once you find  a bird sit still and call sparingly if you have some one hunting have them calling from 45-60' behind you [might be a good Ideal forthem to watch the other way ex b-i-l was calling for me watching my way when a big tom strolled  right by him  and started struting between us]turkeys are wary because everything in the woods think the are "what's for dinner" they are not the smartest animal in the woods. My turkey  resume : 5 turkeys w/muzzle loader 12 ga. 1 w/22 mag plus engineering  at least twice that many for friends and family best trophy : jake call in for my dad he was not in good health and it was his only turkey... killed at 14 steps with a mossberg bolt action 410   Dad  has went on to higher places  the 410 is right above my left on the wall
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 09:11:27 AM »
Roy makes a good point, I called my Dad's first turkey in for him, he was hunting with our old 1920s H&R 12ga with full fixed choke, shooting #6 2¾" high base loads made well before there was such a thing as a turkey load!! He put it down at 21yds, at 73yrs old he was about as excited as I'd ever seen him, I was too!! ;)

One other detail that set that hunt apart from others was we were walking down an old logging road made in the early 1900s that had long since been gated off, there was a plastic juice bottle laying in the road and I kicked it down the road, that was the sound that got the turkey to first gobble, so they'll shock gobble to all kinds of sounds. I set a hen decoy out and got into position and called with a slate call, the turkey triple gobbled right off and came in within 3 or 4 minutes, he was one hot, love starved tom.  :D

My first turkey shock gobbled to the squeaky door hinge on Dad's Wagoneer as we got out after parking at the end of a Road in the Buck Creek drainage,  that hunt ended up 30 minutes later with a dead tom, my first!! The turkey was taken at 18yds with a Savage 311 12ga with fixed choke and a #6 2¾" turkey load.

Tim

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 01:30:30 PM »
Great stories Quick! Just goes to show you don't need to buy into all the turkey
marketing hype. Do you still have the old 311? I love those things.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 01:36:02 PM »
Yup, it's been relegated to home defense duty, it's under the bed with #00 buck loads in both barrels!! ;D

thx,

Tim

Offline KenSel

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 09:51:32 PM »
I know it's funny how they lead you to believe that you need a camo gun that shoots 3 1/2" shells with a 20" barrel and a super duper x-tra full choke tube to kill a turkey.  I've killed about a dozen turkeys and I've never used a camo gun, I've only used a 12ga twice and it is an older model Wingmaster, it's bright and glossy and shoot's 2 3/4" shells and has a fixed modified choke.  I killed 2 with my old H&R Topper 58 410ga, 1 with a Marlin 22 Mag, and the rest were killed with my NEF Parder 20ga single shot.  Oh and I killed one with a Baikal/EAA Bounty Hunter II  side by side double 12ga that has 18" barrels, guess that makes 3 with a 12ga.

Even knowing that any of the shotguns I own are more than capable of killing turkeys,  I still for some unknown reason think that I need to get me a brand new camo turkey gun. :)   I don't want the 3 1/2" though

Ken