Author Topic: If I wanted to sell my Handi?  (Read 896 times)

Offline Joel45acp

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
If I wanted to sell my Handi?
« on: January 27, 2008, 11:13:15 AM »
My little boy has a Topper 158 in 30/30 with a 22" barrel and a modified ejector turned extractor that he wants to sell and purchase a bolt gun.  What would be a fair price?  The gun has no rust or dings.  The stock is a pallet wood in excellent condition.  I would also include about 200 once fired brass that have been FL sized, cleaned and decapped.  We are the second owners, but the gun is in overall excellent condition.  We've only fired about 30 factory rounds with the rest being reduced reloads of mine with cast boolits.  He feels it's time to graduate to a "big boys" rifle so I'm trying to see what we could get for the Handi  so he'll have an idea of how much he needs to save up to cover the difference.   Thanks for your input.  Later.
In Christ,

Joel C.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: If I wanted to sell my Handi?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 11:20:37 AM »
M158 Toppers have sold anywhere from $125 to $225 here and elsewhere, most dependent on their condition, I bought an unfired 30-30 from a member here for $235 shipped if I remember correctly. The lighter contour barrel and low profile hammer make them very popular. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Joel45acp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 11:48:25 AM »
Quick, my little boy's has the light contour barrel and the low profile hammer.  Thanks for the input.  He's still on the fence about selling it.  Thanks again.
In Christ,

Joel C.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 12:41:26 PM »
I now have two such "rigs" and find them a pleasure to hunt whitetails with. I would encourage him to hang onto it, and save his money for a second gun like a used Savage or Stevens. If it shoots accurately why peddle it? Once that rifle gets away it is gone!

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 01:06:04 PM »

I have to go with Carbineman, Keep it. I have sold and traded that now I wish I had keep.
 Marv

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 02:33:02 PM »
I learned long ago never to sell a good gun unless I absolutely had to.   And then the best thing to do is sell it to a friend with the understanding that if he ever wanted to part with it you get first right of refusal.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline vinpar092

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 04:12:31 PM »
I wouldn't sell it! He will regret it later and as a father you should reconsider the thought of selling it.

Vince

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 04:03:44 AM »

Nothing wrong with the young lad wanting something else..My youngest went thru the same thing..Giving him good advise seems to fall on deaf ears with young people...so...just know...this is a learning process..If you can...You keep the 30-30...and find him a nice used bolt gun..or a nice cheaper new one..and let him help pay for it...Sooner or later he will realize the good old single shot gets the job done just as well...and he'll want it back ;)

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Joel45acp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 10:19:47 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'm gonna let him read your responses and allow him to decide what to do.  I'll throw in my $.02 worth.  Later.
In Christ,

Joel C.

Offline navylawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 03:10:53 PM »
You could always buy it from him so that he has some money to put towards a "big boy gun" and you can play with the handi. Not to mention you could preserve the gun to give to any future grandchildren. Then they could hunt with the same rifle their daddy used.

Navylawdog

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 04:14:30 PM »
I have a closet full of bolt and lever guns. some how they just don't do it for me any more, get a lot more out of doing it when i basicly have one shot
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 05:46:26 PM »
I have several "Big boy guns" and when you feel how light my old topper is compaired to the rest - there is no question which one I want to carry all day. And when it will break clay pigeons at 200 yds all day long I am very happy to carry it. Once they get an idea it is hard to change their mind but my 30-30 topper is my favorite. Mine was damaged and had a touch of rust in the bore and the guy told me 25.00 for it.... all said and done scoped and all I have 125.00 in it.  And I have felt VERY lucky to have found a deal. AND it shoots nice. :)  Hope he gets what he wants. -Brent

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 11:54:10 AM »
Seems like the consensus is to keep it in the family.  :) and I add my vote for that.

I had a Topper 30/30 20 gauge combo in the early '80s that I sold, thinking I could find another one like it whenever I wanted. As it turned out, it only took me about 20 years! I went through a lot of shootin' irons over the years, bolt action, lever, single shot, semi-auto. And even a couple of Toppers along the way, that for some reason I can't now remember (probably rent or something) I parted with - but I eventually got my sanity back, and as of now, my go-to huntin' - and fun at the range - rifle is my 158 Topper 30/30. (See the pic/avatar just to the left)

In close second place is a 357 max Handi gun (converted from 357 mag) with a 20 gauge barrel. Some days I just don't know which one to play with and end up taking both out!

BTW if your son insists on a bolt gun and really does decide to sell it, my son is looking for one  ;)

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 12:39:23 PM »
Joel

Just for fun , strap a brick to the 30/30 and let him carry it for awhile , maybe the weight diffrence will help him make a choice .  ;) ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Joel45acp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 05:34:19 PM »
Stimpy, I like the way you think, however, the gun and brick might out weigh him by a brick. ???  Thanks for your input guys.  Later.
In Christ,

Joel C.