Author Topic: Barrel stubbing idea  (Read 658 times)

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Barrel stubbing idea
« on: January 30, 2008, 01:12:26 PM »
Since Larry (trotterlg) seems to be the most knowledgeable on this topic, I have a question for him, and any others that may know the answer.

This may have been asked before, but here goes.  Owning, as I do, several Savage rifles, I find one of their beauties, is that barrels/calibers are easily interchanged, and in just about 20-30 minutes.  I did some measuring and it seems the outside of a Handi barrel is about 1.165" and the OD of the threads of a Savage (small shank size) is about 1.050.  This doesn't leave much metal, but I am wondering how much is enough to use a barrel stub and screw a Savage barrel into the stub, set the headspace and "pin" it into place, since there isn't enough thread length to re-use the barrel nut.

Is that enough metal around the barrel to hold it safely?

If that COULD work, one could swap calibers as easily as swapping on a Savage by removing the "pins" and inserting barrel number two, as long as case head size were similar enough to re-use the extractor.

Or is this way off course?
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Barrel stubbing idea
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 01:18:59 PM »
Swapping the extractor/ejector wouldn't be an issue as long as you have one for the number two barrel even if it's a different size cartridge, the rest of the question is someone else's. :D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 02:17:20 PM »
I suppose one could also make a new stub for each barrel as well, this idea might just make it easier to make a common stub that just about any caliber could be screwed into, and then swapped out like any handi barrel, after the cutout for the extractor/ejector was made.

I think that part could just about be doone with a dremmel.

Offline bill439

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 02:41:06 PM »
I think this could done, however the bbl shank would have to be rethreaded to a smaller od size say .875 with threads of the same pitch and make a bbl nut to match.  come up with a way to hang the forarm and cut the extractor and you have it.  Me thinks too much for return, just stay with a savage.  Wish you luck, bill439

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 06:49:30 PM »
  Me thinks too much for return, just stay with a savage.  Wish you luck, bill439

No worries, I'll always have my Savages, was just thinking if the stub could be modifyied to allow a Savage threaded and chambered barrel to fit in it, it would make it nice and easier for everyone.

Offline wtroger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 04:33:45 AM »
Measure your savage action I believe you will find it to be about 1.35 in diameter. Trying to thread the smaller Handi to accept the savage 1.05 barrel can be done but really doesn't leave much material. Larry's method which I have copied involves just boring out the stub leaving a step at the breach and the threading in front of the stub and installing the barrel nut. An this is all done in the .875 diameter range. Larry has a couple of posts here with pretty good detail and pictures. I also believe he has done the complete thread of the stub and came to the same conclusion that it is a lot of work to thread the complete stub.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 05:14:01 AM »
Measure your savage action I believe you will find it to be about 1.35 in diameter. Trying to thread the smaller Handi to accept the savage 1.05 barrel can be done but really doesn't leave much material. Larry's method which I have copied involves just boring out the stub leaving a step at the breach and the threading in front of the stub and installing the barrel nut. An this is all done in the .875 diameter range. Larry has a couple of posts here with pretty good detail and pictures. I also believe he has done the complete thread of the stub and came to the same conclusion that it is a lot of work to thread the complete stub.

Yea I had measured it and it did seem thin by comparison (the handi) and that was what I was wondering about.

Oh, well, it was a thought.