Author Topic: Scope test  (Read 981 times)

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
Scope test
« on: February 06, 2008, 03:52:38 PM »
Is there anyway I can test a scope's seal without putting it in the freezer? Its mounted on an Encore barrel and I thought about cold then warm water but not sure if it would work.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Scope test
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 04:26:19 PM »
Put the barrel with scope in the freezer or fridge, or leave it outside in cold weather if you can't get it in either, then take it into a hot, steamy shower/bathroom, or lay it in warm water in the bathtub. It'll fog up on the inside or bubble if it leaks.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 04:41:51 PM »
Thanks Tim. I took some Ice water and put it in a cup and put it around the bell and then I took some ice packs and put it around the outside of the scope. I am going to leave it for about 5 more mins and then I am going to dip the bell into warm water. I tried this on a BSA I had a few minutes ago and it leaked.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 06:43:29 PM »
Tim I took the Bushnell and put it in the freezer for 30Min's and then I took it and put it in warm water. It fogged on the inside of the Objective. Then I tried it again and it fogged again in the same spot but it looked like it fogged around the inside of the ocular end that time also. The fog didn't stay for a full 40 seconds before it was clear again. I guess my 3200 is going back to Bushnell on Monday.

Rick

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 06:53:36 PM »
Sounds like it lost most of it's nitrogen purge. :'(

Tim

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 06:57:47 PM »
Yeah but I don't think it was from where the Objective had a dent. It had no leaks there and none around the ocular bell but it did leak around the power adjustment's. It was set on a 3 and it had bubbles coming from there so I am thinking that is wear the leak is. This is the second Bushnell I have sent back. One I shot until it just broke after 2,000 rounds of 45-70.

Rick

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 07:04:04 PM »
It doesn't matter where a seal is broken, they aren't compartmentalized like a submarine, if a seal is compromised anywhere, the nitrogen purge is defeated for the entire scope.

Tim

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 02:27:38 AM »
I know that. I just know where it is leaking at.

Rick

Offline sniperVLS

• Remington & Sig Sauer addict!
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 07:42:11 AM »
If it's not an Elite model, break down and get one used if you can find one. You won't have to send them back after testing them :)

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 12:40:43 PM »
Its an Elite 3200.

Rick

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 12:41:47 PM »
The Elites are some of the best scopes made. I have had many and only 2 broke and this is the first defect I have had on one.

Rick

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
NO scope is immune to a defects, wear and the effects of time, no matter who makes it or how much it costs, it's just a matter of fact when it comes to anything made by man!! :-\

Tim

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 12:58:10 PM »
Unfortunately Tim is right this time. Human Error plays a major roll in optics. I am going to check the rest of my scopes. This has me a bit concerned about how well off the rest of them are especially one of my Nikon's.

Rick

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 12:59:30 PM »
Should I be worried that this scope has a small dent around the bell? Would they not cover it then?

Rick

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 01:09:32 PM »
Depends on how bad it is, if it's bad enough to compromise integrity, they'll replace it, if it's just cosmetic, not an issue, they may bill you for it if they consider it abuse, or they just might cover it anyway, but ya won't know until you send it to em. ;)

Tim

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 01:30:04 PM »
The dent is around the threads for a scope shade. I couldn't put one on but with a little work I could. It isn't dented around any glass or seals and it only leaked around the power ring.

Rick

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 01:42:17 PM »
Tim one more question. Should I tell them of the test and the loose power ring and where its leaking? Should I keep that to myself?

Rick

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 02:54:42 PM »
Just tell em it fogged up, the dent, or more than likely, the impact that caused the dent may be the cause of the leak, but if the seal is bad at the power ring, it's more than likely just a worn/bad O-ring. The threads on the inside of the objective bell are more the likely for the threaded ring that secures the objective lens.

Tim

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 03:01:53 PM »
No those are for a scope sun shade. I don't think the impact had anything to do with it but it could have. If it did then I will stay away from Bushnell as it wasn't that hard of a hit. Anyways I will contact them on Monday and see what they say but I expect them to blame the dent.

Rick