Author Topic: What game have you guy's taken with your rifles ?  (Read 926 times)

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
What game have you guy's taken with your rifles ?
« on: February 22, 2008, 04:10:23 PM »
well just that , what have you guy's hunted or variminted with your Rifles ? Some pics would be cool, Superdown

Offline superdown

• A Real Regular
Re: What game have you guy's taken with your rifles ?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 02:37:50 PM »
so no one Hunt's with their AR's ,AK's or FAL ect. ?

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 04:39:44 PM »
Some crows, a few coyotes, and one deer (head shot).

BTW, I have a Bushmaster Varminter .223.

Some day, I want an AR in a .243 WSSM!!!

Offline targshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 01:38:59 AM »
The .223 is a good varmint round out to about 200-250 yards; beyond which it has lost enough velocity to become ineffective, in my experience. I have shot many woodchucks with this cartridge in various rifles, including the AR15. Interestingly, when using a military type rifle I used military ammo. The farthest shot I took with military style rifles was about 175 yards, but most were within 50. The high velocity and light bullet (I used mostly 55 grain bullets) weight insured the military FMJ bullet was upset by the small rodent bodies with resultant bullet ricochet around in the body or fragmentation. With bolt action rifles and shots taken at long distance I used Hornady 55 grain SX bullets. With the lower velocity beyond 250 yards I lost a few as the bullet zipped through their small chest and they ran to the hole. Those I recovered did not have the same damage as found in the animals shot at closer range.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 08:41:14 PM »
I've shot several feral hogs with my AK and my AR.  The AR is now the primary rifle.  I shoot 55gr Sierra GameKing Soft Points pushed by 27 grains of IMR 4320.  The GameKings do a fantastic job on hogs.  But I wouldn't recommend factory ammo other than FMJ's for game bigger than a coyote.

Offline superdown

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 12:32:31 AM »
doesn't federal offer some partition type loads for hunting?

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 01:33:48 AM »
I have taken three deer with my Springfield M1A. One evening 2 does stepped out in front of me, about 60 yards, 2 shots, 2 seconds 2 deer down. Another day a buck made the same fatal mistake, about 100 yards, one round through the heart. I have been hunting with my AR15 in 6.8 but no deer yet. I get some strange looks some times, but have never been harassed.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 03:27:19 AM »
doesn't federal offer some partition type loads for hunting?

Yep, they offer a 60gr partition.  But I also have a NEF Handi Rifle in .223 with a 1:12 twist barrel and it won't shoot anything heavier than 55's and I don't really want to have two different loads for the two guns.  Those Sierra's took 4 doe and one spike buck this past year while we were culling.  All one-shot kills...but that was with the Handi Rifle.  I'm sure a Partition would do the same...but mine cost about 20 cents per round as opposed to $1 - $1.50.

Offline HickoryNut

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 01:18:28 PM »
Killed my first deer, a 9 point buck, with my sks  paratrooper and ballistic tip ammo.  OSOK  I'll try to post a pic when I get to my other comp.

Matt

Offline cochise

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 03:52:23 PM »
I shot a coyote with a scoped bolt action .223 at 411 yards. hit him in the ribs and he turned and bit his side while going in a circle three times then keeled over. I was pretty pleased with the lucky offhand shot.