Author Topic: Article on the MAKAROV pistol  (Read 671 times)

Offline koginam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • retired gunsmith, Gunsmith apprentice coordinator
Article on the MAKAROV pistol
« on: February 05, 2008, 09:59:26 AM »
Article on the MAKAROV pistol by Teddy Jacobson
http://actionsbyt.typepad.com/actionsbyt/2008/02/makarov-article.html

Offline rockbilly

Re: Article on the MAKAROV pistol
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 11:34:22 AM »
I was quick to become a fan of the Makarov, and currently own several of them.  I agree with many of the comments made by the author of this article, but have found the Polish P-64 to be a superb firearm too.  It is my occasional carry gun, and the truck gun for my wife when we travel, the only down side is the limited magazine capacity.  

While I prefer something larger, I do think the Makarov is an excellent choice for a carry weapon for those that operate on a limited budget, great shooters with the exception of the hammer biting my fat hand between the thumb and trigger finger when I am not careful in the way I grip it (I find this true in all of them.)  They are great guns, fun to shoot, and factory import ammo is (has been) fairly cheap, for concealed carry I load her up with Hornady 95gr JHP/XTP and pray that I can get the job done with seven shots if needed.

Offline Illhunter

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 12:29:14 PM »
I have limited experience with the makarov i have shot a russian but for me it needed different grip but did like the power it had which was kind of surprising the first time i shot one. I lean more towards the CZ which is different i know but like the way it feels of course with new grips the one i shot may have been better.

Terry

Offline nrb

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
There is a 12rd version of the MAKAROV pistol
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 03:09:23 AM »
Gents, I have a 12rd version of the Makarov that I purchased new several years ago. They were imported and may still be available. Great shooting and very accurate pistol
best,  nrb

Offline gt40

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 03:51:51 PM »
I HAVE ONE THAT HOLDS 12+1 WITH ADJUSTABLE REAR SIGHT IN .380. IT IS THE ONLY PISTOL THAT I AM CONFIDENT IN HITTING WHAT I POINT IT AT. GREAT FOR A BACK UP TOO.