Author Topic: what cal. for female?  (Read 1532 times)

Offline brian 50cal

• Trade Count: (0)
what cal. for female?
« on: April 20, 2003, 06:35:35 AM »
I'm planning to get my wife a handgun for home protectionwhile I am away.  She is afraid of my long guns (shot guns and rifels) due to their size.  I am looking at the .380, .40 and the 9mm.  Most likely it will be a semi instead of a relover.  Thanks

Offline jhm

what cal. for female?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2003, 07:00:32 AM »
Brian:  I have seen more women shoot the 9mm better than the others you have mentioned, however if she isnt comfortable with handguns like you said about the long guns the caliber wont matter, she needs to be comfortable with the weapon then decide what caliber she likes to shoot, a good used 4in. revolver in 38spcl is a great starter and a good weapon to keep around the house, just a thought, :D   JIM

Offline Matt in AK

• Contributor
what cal. for female?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2003, 07:17:16 AM »
Much easier and safer for a novice to master a rovolver than an auto.  I second the 4" 38 special...but go 357 so you can shoot both.  You really can't beat the S&W M-66.
Isaiah 6:8

Offline Majic

what cal. for female?
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2003, 02:05:44 PM »
Semi-autos are nice, if you have been shooting them for an extended period of time.  Now when the excitment starts, and the flying brown stuff hits the fan you tend to forget little details. Was there a round in the chamber, did I take the safety off,  how do I clear this jam, or why won't this thing shoot? A double action revolver is just plain simple, point it, pull the trigger. Not much to remember for even a novice.
My vote goes for the revolver. Take her to the local gun store and let her handle all the models to find one that best fits her hand in size and weight. 357's are nice, but are heavier than most .38s (stay away from the new lightweight models). Then show her some custom grips so she can personalize it (always a plus for most women). Start her off shooting wadcutters, and let her decide when to move on up to hotter loads (a swaged lead wadcutter is a pretty good short range defensive load). Finally, lots and lots of practice starting at close range to build confidence in her abilities.

Offline MS Hitman

• A Real Regular
what cal. for female?
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2003, 03:17:56 PM »
My vote also goes to the revolver for a defensive weapon.  A .357 is nice, but there is plenty of good .38 Spl ammo such as CorBon on the market.  Clearing jams and getting a semi back into battery when the tension is high can be tough for people who sleep, eat , and breath a semi.  With a DA revolver, she can pull the trigger again if it goes click the first time.

Offline Zeus

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
what cal. for female?
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2003, 04:20:51 PM »
I just bought my wife a titanium 38 revolver with the 2" barrel.  Most slides are hard for some women to operate and as someone mentioned, clear any jams comfortably.  There is a lot less to go wrong with a simple revolver.  Wouldn't go with an auto for the wife's defensive gun.  GS

Offline chk

• Avid Poster
what cal. for female?
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2003, 08:46:54 AM »
Brian,if you're dead set on an auto loader I'd go with a DAO 9mm that fits her hand. A 40 will kick too much and a .380 is harder to work the slide unless it's a rare one that has barrel/slide lock up like a full size auto. KelTec is coming out with a .380 this summer. They'll be as hard to find a hens teeth at first. If money's no object, LOL, I like a SIG for a non-DAO pistol. The SIG has a decock lever only. If the firearm fits her she will shoot better and shoot it more often. Get what she likes and you will probably have a shooting partner. Learning to shoot double action is made easier if you have snap caps and place a spent case on the barrel/slide and getting to where you can squeeze off six times without dumping the case. Dave

Offline jamie

• Contributor
what cal. for female?
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2003, 05:49:23 PM »
Go with the revolver and let her shoot a bunch and then when she's done let her shoot more.
AMMO...
LiFe, Liberty and the Pursuit of all those that threaten it!

Offline 1badmagnum

• http://pub64.ezboard.com/fthedeserteaglefrm1
what cal. for female?
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2003, 10:12:38 PM »
I also vote for a wheelgun,I bought my wife a 9mm and she shoots it very well,but when I showed her the tracker,she wanted to trade. :)
a 357 magnum/38 special with 4 inch barrel would be a good choice.

Offline willis5

• Contributor
what cal. for female?
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2003, 07:27:55 AM »
it comes to what she is comfortable with... I think you should let her decide. Give her the benefit of the dout about being able to shoot an auto. If she is a competent adult (which I am sure she is) she should be able to use an auto, single shot, knife, whatever. complicated or simple.

Give her the choice but tell her the pros and cons. revolvers are less prone to malfunction and are simple to operate I agree with this, but I like my glock for personal protection. that makes me feel safer knowing that I am comfortable with my weapon. Good post.

Cheers,
willis5
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline .45 COLT

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
what cal. for female?
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2003, 02:52:42 AM »
My wife was never at ease with a semi. She could handle it OK, many hours of practice, just didn't like it. After trying out several guns, she settled on a .357 revolver, Ruger, fairly warm loads but not the real hot ones. She's completely comfortable with it, shoots it well, and that's at least half the battle.
On the 19th of April, 1775, a tyrannical government sent an army to disarm its citizens. They ran into a touch of trouble.

Offline willis5

• Contributor
what cal. for female?
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2003, 02:20:29 PM »
Sounds like she is in good shape as long as she is comfortable with it!

Keep her interested, and be safe.
Cheers, willis5
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
what cal. for female?
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2003, 05:11:24 PM »
Generally when I'm hunting for females I use my trusty....oops wrong forum...:o  Just go with what she's comfortable with. :)

Offline willis5

• Contributor
what cal. for female?
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2003, 05:32:02 PM »
:-D  :-D  :-D  :-D
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline kody119

what cal. for female?
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2003, 02:52:27 AM »
I AM a female in the process of purchasing a handgun.  I say let her try as many as possible.  I actually prefer a semi-automatic and would not buy a revolver (it may be personal preference, who knows).   My husband's Glock 22 (.40) got me so hooked I am looking at my own now.  I've actually handled the sub-compact Glock 33 and am going to shoot it tomorrow along with a few other comparable guns.  I'll let you know how it goes!
"Great things are done when men and mountains meet."  - William Blake

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
what cal. for female?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2003, 05:25:58 PM »
brian50cal,
 You must ask youe wife a question and insest on a thought out honest answer. WILL YOU USE IT WHEN THE TIME COMES!!! My wife after four years still doesn't carry even though she has a CCP. She said that in her soul she really didn't know if she could pull the trigger on a human so felt it was better to not have a gun that could be taken away and used on her family. If your wife has any doubt about that question consider Mace, pepper spray, Taser, stun gun, or a shortened baseball bat.
Love those .41s'

Offline southernshooter

lady gunners
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2003, 12:46:32 PM »
If she is like my wife and has no interest in guns or shooting, just wants some last ditch protection-can't beat the revolver. She shoots 38 spec. plus p in a 357 with no problems. Trying to get her to just use the trigger and not cock it in case she ever needs to hold a gun on an intruder without it going off while she calls the police. She is not interested in trying to operate the slide, mag. hammer drop etc on my Sig. A person needs to shoot a semi auto like that fairly often to stay familiar with them. Revolver is perfect for an occastional shooter. Besides if she gets mad at me I would rather get hit with a 38 spec. than a 45 or 40.

Offline labsrule

what cal. for female?
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2003, 10:06:35 AM »
Isn't really much to add, been a lot of good advice given.  I'll just relate it to my own experiences.  Experienced shooter, auto... new shooter under stress is normally better with a revolver... except in some cases actions without a physical safety to manipulate such as a Sig works as well.  Watch gun fit, if her hands a small... a double stack mag will probably not allow proper reach of the trigger and the gun wont sit in line with her arm.  Some people have trouble pulling the slide, my wife can't safely work the slide... she has turned to revolvers.  For a first gun, I tend to cost you money -- and buy 2.  One the defensive weapon such as a .38 Spl... the other a good .22 LR.  Moma didn't raise a fool... or that's my claim anyway.  Worked like this for me and my wife.  She gets more practice in for the money with one gun binging a .22.... I have a more willing shooting partner whom has become a challenge lately..... and I get to go to the range more often.  Pretty cool the way it worked.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,  for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
what cal. for female?
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2003, 01:20:16 AM »
Brian

I don't know where you are in Wisconsin, but here we have an indoor range that will "rent" you a pistol for a very resasonable price to try it out.  They have quite a collection behind the counter.  Alternatively, if you know a gun club you can probably arrange the same thing.  

The idea is to get her to shoot, not just handle, a variety of guns.  She can then pick the style and model that she likes best.  

I know of a woman who is 5'2" and shoots a short barreled .44 Mag!  It's not the sex, it's the willingness to try that matters.  I introduced another woman to shooting, 110 lbs. sopping wet, and she liked the cap and ball revolvers and held my LeMat perfectly still when firing.  No little circles described by the muzzle as she searched for steadiness.  Absolutely steady.  Don't stereotype by sex, but go with the personality and interest and willingness.
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
what cal. for female?
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2003, 04:42:08 AM »
Brian:  You have received some excellent advice.  Wayne the Shrink offered some of the best by identifying ranges where you might be able to take you wife so that she could fire some of these recommendations and make her own choice.  Also, Kody had some good advice and that is what I normally recommend, except that I prefer revolvers for training and familiarization purposes.

Farther up on this forum Toasty asked about the same question and was recommended to consider a standard Police trade-in in 38 Special with a 4" barrel, or a 'coach gun" (a short barrelled double barrel shotgun) no larger than 20 guage.  I have one in 20 guage and think it is a wonderful 'door opener' (that is, that's what ya'll have in your hands when you have to open the door).  These also come in 410 caliber and for a woman who does not like long guns, like your 28" 12 guage, a small bore short double barrel shotgun might just be the ticket.  She wouldn't really have to be very good with it to get the desired effect, and a faceful of birdshot will deter (if not worse), any human being and most animals I have met.  Much more effective than a 9mm or 38.  I hope this helps.  Mikey.

Offline crashresidue

wife's gun
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2003, 07:13:34 PM »
Cheers,

Now this is going to stand alone as "one of those posts that shouldn't be"!

My Love carries: a NAA 22LR mini in the hip, a .38 Special in the purse.  The "house gun" is a 9mm Model 59, and the "bed gun" is a BDA .380.  The "fall back" is a Rem. 870 with a bobbed barrel and an extended mag.

The only one without a round in the chamber is the 870 - if he's too stupid to listen to a round cycling into the chamber, then it's time to take him out of the gene pool

For "first gun" - get a "wheel gun" - even I can't f*ck one of them up!

But first, take her out and show her that all that TV "bs" that she's seen isn't so - I had to take one wife out to an abandoned house to PROVE to her that you CAN shoot through walls!  She'd only seen this on "TV" and was convinced that "if you hide behind a wall, well, you can't be shot"!

God - could I pick them or what?

Better with age!

powderburns
When all else fails, call for the gunships!

Offline CigarChick

Wife's Gun
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2003, 05:38:33 PM »
Hi!  I'm new to this forum but saw this thread and wanted to add my bit.  I completely agree with crashresidue on this one!  I'm a 36yr old, married, am licensed and consistantly carry a Para Companion .45cal.  I LOVE it and shoot every other weekend just to keep the chops up.  I was never interested in guns before-was dragged to the gun shop, went shooting with hubby and hated it, etc.  Until I was involved in a road rage incident and a close call with a drunk, I had never thought seriously about any kind of protection.  When I was ready, NOT MY JUST MY HUBBY, my husband and I decided to start with a gun that we both liked, try that, then buy one I could carry.  We started with the Astra A-100 in .45cal.  Soon, we started shooting with others to "try their guns" and I ended up with "my baby."  

My suggestion in your case is to talk to your wife and find out how SHE feels about a gun in the house.  You might want to do what we did and take some kind of introductory course for CHL to get used to the idea.  Take it from a woman who's been there-you'll never be able to convince your wife to take the gun seriously until she's ready.  If not into guns, she may be interested in some other form of self-defense. Eventually, she may warm up to the idea, but if you force the issue, she'll just keep the gun in a drawer and end up being a victim someday instead.

Offline Old Griz

what cal. for female?
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2003, 07:49:59 PM »
Most men want their wives to have automatics because they (the men) like them. However, as most folks here have advised, a revolver is much easier to learn to shoot. Loading a cylinder is much easier than loading a magazine. Also pay attention to what Zeus said--some women do not have the arm strength to rack the slide on many automatics. Don't get something for her and think, "Oh she can learn to do this." If it's too hard to do, they will NOT just learn it.

Another mistake men make is that they think women can't handle the recoil of a "real" gun. I never told my wife anything about recoil. Instead, I told her to focus on the front sight. She does. NOT on what happens AFTER she pulls the trigger. She loves my Glock 21 (.45 ACP) and she carries a .357 (3" SP101). Paxton Quigley had a shooting school for women 10 years ago or so. She said the two guns her students liked to shoot the most were the Ruger GP100 and the 1911. So much for mouse guns for the "little lady."

Again, back to the main point, let HER pick the gun she wants to shoot. It must be comfortable in HER hands--not yours.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline KING

• A Real Regular
what cal. for female?
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2003, 05:13:33 PM »
:D    Not to get into the argument late.but..any female can and will shoot anything a man can....................I know,I was an instructer for many years.  I always got a kick outta the big no brained idiots that would come to the range,and hand a certian female that I know thier latest go fasty,supermagnum,elephant take downer.  Odd...they just could not match her speed,or her groups.  Granted she shot a lot,but also was hardly afraid of things that go boom.  She also has shot my .50-140-700 thirty times off of the bench(she weighs in at a little over 120 lbs)  They generally left the range early.  As one who spends a lot of time with the bad guys,or for that matter used to...the last thing you want to do is rack a shotgun in the house.  This is very important.I know...........having covered enough shootings and near shootings.  If you do this ,it will right away let the BG know where you are at..That is a very fatal move on your part,and also very stupid.  Also the sound you might hear back is the BG racking a round in his shotgun..................well................at least ya know where he is.  A mag slipped into a semi is a lot quieter and simpler than a speed loader in a revolver..very simple.............aint a contest,just fact.  The other is the old side by side..simple,not fancy,two rounds of #4 at 15 feet is the same as a slug for terminal results.Not a lot of stuff to learn,open it up,insert two shells taped to the bbl,and its time to terminate those that are genetically predisposed to making poor life decisions.........stay ssfe..................King........................remember.........KISS............Keep It Simple Stupid
THE ONLY FEMALE THAT I TRUST IS A LABRADOR.......AND SHE DONT SNOORE,AND DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT MY COOKING...THE ONLY GODS THAT EXIST ARE THOSE THAT HAVE ONE IN THE CHAMBER,AND 19 IN THE MAG.......