Author Topic: Fragments No. 6, Navy drawings from National Archives  (Read 438 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)

Offline KABAR2

Re: Fragments No. 6, Navy drawings from National Archives
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 12:20:41 AM »
An interesting grouping, the boat howitzer and the flask are especially interesting.
is there a way at the archive to print some of these?

my next question is when with all the research that you have been able to do,
and with all the cannon you personally own, are you going to write some books on the
subject so near and dear to your heart? 

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 01:22:01 AM »
is there a way at the archive to print some of these?

They can have their contractor do it but as I recall you have to have deep pockets unless you only want a few of them done.  Best to go there with yr digital camera and snap away to your heart's content, that's what I do these days.  This microfilm was made back before there were digital cameras is the reason I had to put them up in a less-than-perfect format.

write a book?

I've been asked that before and I answer that I'm more comfortable writing magazine articles on one cannon at a time.  I wrote a number of articles for The Artilleryman back in mid-1980's. Each cannon has a story, some of them pretty long ones, and I don't think the average person's attention span is long enough for a whole book on that. 

I don't think anyone will ever beat Warren Ripley's ARTILLERY AND AMMUNITION OF THE CIVIL WAR as far as a readable but comprehensive cannon book, and I'm not going to try.  BTW if you don't have that book, you need it, I think if you were only going to have a few cannon books in your library, they should te Ripley's book, Manucy's ARTILLERY THROUGH THE AGES (available a couple of places in online format,) and Peterson's classic ROUND SHOT AND RAMMERS.  Those three will get you through Cannonology 101.

A friend of mine "lost his a__" after financing and publishing a book about Civil War weapons, and even ones with a lot more collector appeal than my cannons, so I think a big, expensive coffee-table book is out of the question for me unless somebody else wants to fund it 100%.  Whenever I get two pennies to rub together, as I think you know, I buy either a cannon, a cannon book, an interesting piece of ammo, or some accoutrement.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 08:47:11 AM »
That's the age-old conflict of authors. 

Many if not most good researchers publish as a life-style donation to the collected knowledge of the subject and don't get rich at it.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 12:36:41 PM »
A friend of mine "lost his a__" ...

That's what makes internet publishing so attractive--minimal expense and a wide audience.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill