Author Topic: Ruger Charger  (Read 2212 times)

Offline NOLA

• Trade Count: (56)
  • A Real Regular
Ruger Charger
« on: March 20, 2008, 01:26:35 PM »
Tried to take my barrel off and it would not come off
Any secrets?
I did remove the 2 screws that hold it on.
"Non sibi sed patriae" (Not self but country) U S Navy 1962-1966 ATR E-5

Offline adirondacker

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
Re: Ruger Charger
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 03:40:59 PM »
i wish i knew,i was eyeballing that charger in the new catalogue.after talking to my dealer it looks like they are illegal in ny.apparently ny has a weight limit on handguns,the charger is a little obese,unless ruger makes a lighter version looks like i won't be getting one.good luck on the barrel,how bout a three pound hammer and a pipe wrench?maybe you can knock enough parts off it so i can have you ship it to ny.later adker

Offline yankeeapple

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 04:50:51 PM »
i wish i knew,i was eyeballing that charger in the new catalogue.after talking to my dealer it looks like they are illegal in ny.apparently ny has a weight limit on handguns,the charger is a little obese

A weight limit on handguns?........... I'm speechless, simply unbelievable. The lawmaker who pushed through that piece of legislation must of been a real piece of work.

A weight limit on handguns? I wonder if there is a minimum also? unbelievable.

Offline adirondacker

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 10:44:13 AM »
i forget now what the weight limit is but it was ounces over.last year my dealer got a 223 semi,seems like it was a kel-tec or something,kinda of a cool piece,that one was illegal as well.i wonder if i put a bipod on a 15 inch encore would that be tom heavy as well,probably.thats ny for you i think we are second in line to ca when it comes to gun laws.
  i had a chance to look at the new ruger 9mm,spr or what ever,you know they advertise it as a 17 round,well not here,we only get 10,comes with a funny little mag with a molded plastic piece making up 40% of it.looks retarted.i'll find out what the weight limit is and let you know,later adker

Offline adirondacker

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 10:52:47 AM »
well,i guess its more complicated than it seemed.the rule only applies to semi-auto handguns with detatchable mags.the weight can not exceed 50 ozs.aparently it does not apply to other action types so i guess my encore is ok.that's why the savage striker's and xp-100's are ok.adker

Offline Omaha-BeenGlockin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 07:18:56 AM »
If its anything like a regular 10/22---once the screws are off----a little elbow grease might be needed----just pull and twist-- being careful not to damage the receiver.

Offline NOLA

• Trade Count: (56)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 10:16:58 AM »
I pulled I twisted and I Beat lightly on the receiver>
I gave up and put it all back together
I did not  twist hard only by hand and it would not move
I did not want to put a wrench on it, when I get braver
I will be more aggressive
Brand new and did not want to goof up.
Thanks for getting this back on topic.
"Non sibi sed patriae" (Not self but country) U S Navy 1962-1966 ATR E-5

Offline navylawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 01:42:40 PM »
If you have a padded vise you can lock your gun in there and use a small adjustable (strap type) pipe wrench and it shouldn't hurt your barrel any. That is what I was taught in my gunsmithing course I took.

Navylawdog